Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mr2 bov question,please help!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM
b16EFsedan
peaches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan
Default Re: mr2 bov question,please help!!!!

i had a 01 jetta once and unlpugged the bypass vlave, blocked of where it was routed to the intake(after MAF), and left it sitting out in the open and the PURGE sounded good till it got old to me.....the car never threw a code or ran bad just had a blow off......
Old 12-21-2009, 08:44 AM
JROW
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by b16EFsedan
i had a 01 jetta once and unlpugged the bypass vlave, blocked of where it was routed to the intake(after MAF), and left it sitting out in the open and the PURGE sounded good till it got old to me.....the car never threw a code or ran bad just had a blow off......
We're talking about mr2's....
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM
keefboz
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Forge have a hybrid bov that recircs up to 90% and blows off the other 10% if you just want to hear the noise, i have it on my car and it works fine. You can adjust it also to blow off more etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Shive
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

The stock BPV and the HKS SSQV are the most efficient ones you can put on your car. Almost all aftermarket BOV's use springs, which leak. The stock BPV and the HKS SSQV use air pressure, and are much quicker opening and closing. If you're going to get an aftermarket BOV, I'd go for the HKS SSQV.. And regardless of what you get, it has to be recirculated or you'll lose power. Your AFM reads the metered are coming in, but you're venting it to the atmosphere, and then the ECU dumps fuel because it thinks you're running lean. There's plenty of people who do this, but apparently, the PSSSSSTTT sound is more important to them than a car that runs right..

And if you've got any MR2 questions, you might want to hit up http://www.mr2oc.com. Just search, and you'll almost always find what you're looking for.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How can a spring leak? It doesn't have any air in it. It's just a spring.

HKS SSQVs have a spring too. I understand what you're trying to say though; they're a diaphragm-type BOV instead of a single piston BOV. Pretty much every design needs a spring to preload the valve/piston/whatever to help prevent leaking when the pressure on both sides of the throttle plate is equal (or close to equal). And all BOVs use air pressure, that's how they work. They operate off of a pressure differential across the throttle plate, else nothing would move.

Forge Motorsport stuff is very nice, I'm a fan.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-21-2009 at 04:55 PM.