Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

Originally Posted by Motrv8d
yeah, we're all too busy paying for a train to run from Norfolk to Virginia Beach...awesome...
It's not even a good train either. I like a lot of things about Virginia. VDOT is not one of them.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
J0NG
Patrón

J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG J0NG

I love how this happens right as I take a job in Williamsburg .. only Part Time .. but lets be serious now .. :[
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 AM
OCD
miata fag

OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD

So they plan on creating another tube as well? That should lower congestion AT the tunnel, but are they going to change the routing so it doesn't become a clusterfuck when you exit and try to get where you are going? Hell just make a toll at the new tube, can let the people that want to spend the money to get there faster do so without hassling people that would rather save the money.

Personally I think they should fire everyone in VDOT and start again.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Hybrid AWD
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Here is my thoughts:

I'll pay a toll, but to the city or state, not private company. I thought that was complete crap. The last thing we need around here is another CBBT.

They were asking a guy on the news how much is too much to pay... he said "$2". Seriously.... how about $.75-$1.00.

The fact of the matter is we are hurting in our area for traffic improvements. My question is, why can't the state request money from Congress as a loan, install tolls for the roads and repay the money with interest? We can call it a "bail-out" if it makes them feel better and we'll actually be helping the national debt.

I don't have anything against private construction companies, but unless there is regulations on how much of a return percentage they can acquire, I have a feeling we could be screwing ourselves.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 AM
RandomTask
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I'm all for it. Generally when a private company puts a toll on a bridge, they're only allotted a certain time frame. The city eventually takes over and will charge enough for maintenance. Also, the toll would force people to consider public transportation. People in VA are spoiled when it comes to driving their car. Theres too much parking set aside for taking your car into the downtowns. People bitch about the roads/traffic being shitty then want to bitch about having to pay a toll to fix them.

For example, to even get into a far ass away from where you want to be parking garage in Boston, its $20.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Originally Posted by Motrv8d
64 to 664.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Hybrid AWD
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

We better not get the lame-o tolls that require you to do 15mph through them. I'd like to see something similar to Orlando's setup.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
kashimiru
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru

given the length of time it takes for them to 'find' funding for anything moderately important in this area, there's really no alternative. sucks to pay before they fix the problem, but at least something actually will get fixed. I'd pay a toll on 264 if it was full-speed speedpass setup if that meant it was maintained to be as smooth as the new battlefield section of 64. fucking hate driving on that shitty interstate everyday knowing it'll get alot worse before someone even thinks of making it better.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by RandomTask
I'm all for it. Generally when a private company puts a toll on a bridge, they're only allotted a certain time frame. The city eventually takes over and will charge enough for maintenance. Also, the toll would force people to consider public transportation. People in VA are spoiled when it comes to driving their car. Theres too much parking set aside for taking your car into the downtowns. People bitch about the roads/traffic being shitty then want to bitch about having to pay a toll to fix them.

For example, to even get into a far ass away from where you want to be parking garage in Boston, its $20.
Yeah, but we don't want to live in the North. That's why we live here.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 AM
ShawnD
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

btw its not only a second tube, its also renovating downtown tunnel and adding on to the MLK jr highway. The project is slated for 2011 and supposed to be finished by 2015(add in its Virginia so like 2020). Yay for uninforming articles.

Quick Reply: Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels