Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Looking for a place that can re-finish my 3pc Work wheels

Old 02-10-2010 | 03:26 PM
B-Well
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well
Default Re: Looking for a place that can re-finish my 3pc Work wheels

The bolts can definitely be re-used.

As for the polishing process, you can do it yourself it is just very time consuming.

I'll PM you about the centers
Old 02-10-2010 | 04:08 PM
B-Well
I Love to Hate

lips are a BITCH to re-polish.

FIRST PRIORITY : sand ALL of the clear off of them 360grit, rougher if there is pitting/curbage, wheels will be dull, very dull gray color

Be sure to get all imperfections/curbage out in this step as polished wheels do not hide anything

after that, hit them with easy off heavy duty oven cleaner (yellow can)

next, begin sanding. Take your time with each paper. more time in = more beauty out

wipe in between, keep wheels clean, rocks/debris under sand paper will scratch wheel.

You can begin your polishing phase here but for the best shine continue sanding with 1.5k and 2k.

Then use meguiars billet polish (small white container w/ red label)

Work it in with a rag, each wheel twice over, rag should be BLACK

Then use a high speed circular buffer with the polish. (i use 7" with wool bonnet) be sure not to burn the wheel. keep the head in motion, as well as moist. check periodically to see how warn the bonnet is. replace often. if you let it burn through it WILL scratch the wheel and yeah, go ahead and start over.

If you are not getting a MIRROR shine evenly across the wheel, you still have clear left and need to go wayyyy back to step one.

For a Final Chrome like shine, use a microfiber pad on the buffer with the billet polish.

Wipe after each round using a microfiber rag.

bolts can be tumbled in baking soda/water mixture to freshen them back up.
The baking soda acts as a sanding agent
I have seen instances when the bolts are placed in a bucket with the mixture, bucket is then placed in the laundry dryer with 4 empty boxes places around to hold it centrally located, then bucket is turned effortlessly

If your not that awesome, shaking them manually in a bucket/bag ect (frozen margarita buckets work great when doing 4 wheels at a time.)

From there, the bolts can be polished with the high speed buffer. Place it upside down and apply the bolt head to the buffer

have fun
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:01 PM
Veedub GTI
srsly?

Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI Veedub GTI

not thread jacking, but can this process be used to polish a wheel in general?
Old 02-11-2010 | 05:53 AM
monopolizedinc
Im Red Bitches

monopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these partsmonopolizedinc is infamous around these parts

after doing all that wonderful work can you have the lips re-coated so you don't have to polish them every time they get wet?
Old 02-11-2010 | 09:18 AM
B-Well
I Love to Hate

Originally Posted by Veedub GTI
not thread jacking, but can this process be used to polish a wheel in general?
yes, any aluminum surface can be done this way. cast pieces are more of a pain as the surface is more porous.

Originally Posted by monopolizedinc
after doing all that wonderful work can you have the lips re-coated so you don't have to polish them every time they get wet?
if you polish them weekly when you wash your car you will not have a problem.

butt..

yes, you can have them dipped (clear coat) to keep them lookin great with less labor. prices vary