Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Brakes locking up on 93 integra

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 AM
FObangah
SPARKLEmotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah
Default Re: Brakes locking up on 93 integra

Have you REPLACED the brake lines? Old lines will deteriorate over time and cause what I call "trap door". I'm sure theres a technical term for it but basically what happens is the rubber inside the line starts to come apart and makes a flap that when pressing on the peddle allows fluid to pass and compress the caliper, but doesn't allow the fluid to back out QUICKLY and creates a "sticking" situation. This could explain the clear bleeding and new parts not fixing the problem. i think what happened while your were "adjusting" the pedal, you gave the fluid enough time to seep it's way back out of the caliper, giving you the false feeling of fixing the pedal by adjusting it.

I've actually never come across a caliper (that wasn't rusted) that was actually stuck but would allow the caliper to function at all. It would always be a problem with the lines. Even if line trash had gotten in the caliper, it would still let caliper function, it just wouldn't let the piston bottom all the way out when installing new brake pads.

If you think this might be the problem:
Easiest thing to do to check the lines would be prep your tools and what-not, jack the car up and remove the wheel near the suspected caliper to be ready to work on the car QUICKLY, START the car (running) and mash the brakes. Turn the car off and stick a flat head driver in the "sight window" on the caliper and attempt to compress the caliper piston back in. If it doesn't back out even a little with a decent amount of force, leave the driver hanging in the slot and disconnect the brake line from the master cylinder, then go back and pry again. If there isn't a problem with the line, it should be easy and it will shove the fluid back out the line. If not, back track to the brakes an disconnect the rubber line at the hard line (wheel well mount) and pry again. Clear now? The problem is in the hard line. Not clear? Replace the rubber line and bleed the system.

If you've gotten this far in the progress, you would be able to tell if the caliper was sticking or not. There's only two bolts holding the caliper on now so you might as well take it off and clean it really good!

EDIT: My step father and I work on cars together all the time. He's knowledgeable but he is extremely old school. He helped a lady by changing the brake shoes on the back of her van but failed to notice that if he didn't line the brake drum rubber sight plug up with the large hole on the hub, that it would hold the drum off a hair enough to make the brakes squeal. After taking it apart 6 times, he called me over to see if I may be able to add some insight. I noticed a small circle of melted rubber on the hub and put two and two together after just one glance.

Even the most knowledgeable people can make mistakes, like BOREDOM said, it never hurts to check behind them.

Last edited by FObangah; 02-12-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Carino
MKIII Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carino has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brakes locking up on 93 integra

Originally Posted by FObangah
trap door".
thats what as thinking but odd because both calipers are locking up not just one its possible for both to develop the problem at the same time but rare... i relieved the pressure from the lines by loosing one of the hard lines from the MC and reconnected... im waiting for the problem to develop again but i have done many test runs and has failed to occur... weird but i will keep yall posted thanks for advice

since im off tomorrow im going to fully inspect everything the right way and not half ass it in a hurry because of work