Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

keeping underhood temps in check for track duty

Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
boredom
management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom
Default Re: keeping underhood temps in check for track duty

nitrous jets into your engine bay. /thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Jay
Fabricate a heat shield for the manifold/turbo
Seal off any spaces where frontal air could get around and not through your radiator. The heat exchanger needs a pressure differential to move air across the core.
Install fender liners. Wheel wells are high pressure areas and hurt your the bottom line of your radiator frontal air pressure differential.
Do not raise the back of your hood up for "cowl induction" unless the induction across the entire length is sealed to the engine air intake. The area near the back of the hood/bottom of the windshield is a high pressure area.
Straighten your radiator fins with a pick.
Save money.
Bravo!

Seriously though, that's the best advice. Making the best possible use of the existing radiator is a good idea, and a quick and dirty radiator duct between the bumper opening and radiator is usually a worthwhile improvement, along with blocking any other open areas (like that gap between the radiator support and the radiator).

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-15-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by WALL-E
And I'd think you would want a fan on the back side of the radiator also, even if it be a small one. If I'm thinking right, it'll blow air away from radiator, hence keeping temps down more than leaving backside of radiator exposed to turbo parts/manifold.
Nope, extra fan not necessary. Any air blowing through the radiator will do the same thing, whether the fan is on the front or the back of the radiator core. Remember, the air has to go somewhere after it goes through the radiator core.

An extra fan on the back side will just reduce the work that the fan on the front does, adding only a little improvement over a single fan on the front (or the back).
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 AM
BLU CIVIC
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Ok, a lot of good advice. I’ll look into getting a head shield fabricated for the manifold. Due to the reasons Fabrik8 mentioned, I wasn’t too keen on wrapping it. I’ll be adding some duct tape to my passenger side fender lining b/c I cut the bottom for my cold air intake on my previous engine. Will see about maybe running a splitter or using another method to help reduce open spaces and channel air through the radiator.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

I think you should ceramic coat it if you aren't going to wrap it. That's a pretty short manifold to wrap, and ceramic coating will reduce radiated heat by quite a bit.