Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Looking at buying my 1st bike

Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
coyote.v5.0
Chica Pah, Chica Pah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at buying my 1st bike

Originally Posted by UrGrlGveMeDkBrn
I mean its just a gamble that you get to decide if you want to take or not.
Motorcycles are not for everyone and a lot of folks shouldn't be on them. It's always refreshing to see a new rider asking the kinds of questions like the OP is.

I think the FZ6r would be a good 1st bike as it handles well, its riding position is not to aggressive, it has more than enough power but not too much in stock form and can easily become quite a bit faster with a few mods when the rider becomes more comfortable.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
HMBeaty
HM-8404

HMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coyote.v5.0
Motorcycles are not for everyone and a lot of folks shouldn't be on them. It's always refreshing to see a new rider asking the kinds of questions like the OP is.

I think the FZ6r would be a good 1st bike as it handles well, its riding position is not to aggressive, it has more than enough power but not too much in stock form and can easily become quite a bit faster with a few mods when the rider becomes more comfortable.
Thanks for your input

EDIT: Sorry, can't rep anymore for 24 hours
Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
TATTRAT
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by HMBeaty
Commuting mostly, til I get the hang of things.
You need to get the hang of things before you start commuting. use your head.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
HMBeaty
HM-8404

HMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
You need to get the hang of things before you start commuting. use your head.
True, which is why I asked where to go to get lessons
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
dyoungin'
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

Don't buy something that is gunna upset you if you drop it.

Then, once you feel like you have gotten all the jitters out, get something newer.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
HMBeaty
HM-8404

Well, at MSRP $7,490 - $7,590*, I won't be TOO upset at dropping it lol
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
coyote.v5.0
Chica Pah, Chica Pah

coyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do get the bike from a dealer you can usually get them to throw in some equipment like a good helmet (200-300) and jacket(150ish) with the purchase. They have a pretty good misc. fund they can use to help get the sale. If not at least get a great discount on them. Over the ankle boots, some touring or kevlar pants and gloves are highly recommended too. You can put a bike back together but, well....humpty dumpty comes to mind.

edit:also that msrp is yammy's suggested price and doesn't include TTL and dealer fee but I think you should be able to get it around 7100-7400 OTD if you haggle and don't act like you have to have that bike, right now.. especially since the 2012's are out.

Last edited by coyote.v5.0; 03-30-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
dyoungin'
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

Sarcasm?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
HMBeaty
HM-8404

Originally Posted by coyote.v5.0
If you do get the bike from a dealer you can usually get them to throw in some equipment like a good helmet (200-300) and jacket(150ish) with the purchase. They have a pretty good misc. fund they can use to help get the sale. If not at least get a great discount on them. Over the ankle boots, some touring or kevlar pants and gloves are highly recommended too. You can put a bike back together but, well....humpty dumpty comes to mind.
DEFINATELY getting some tall boots and kevlar pants, and obviously a helmet. Those that ride without a helmet, I basically have as much sympathy for them (if they get seriously hurt) as when someone that was driving drunk gets killed in a car accident, yet that rarely happens because its almost ALWAYS the other people in the other car that get killed or seriously injured.
Originally Posted by dyoungin'
Sarcasm?
No, wasn't being sarcastic
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
dyoungin'
slingshot engage.

Don't see the point in buying a brand new bike, thats not a litre bike. Because you are suffer from one of these:

a)going to drop it in your own driveway/stop sign/stoplight/parking it etc
b)going to be reckless on it and get hurt
c)going to get bored on it fast, because it is a detuned version of an R6
d)going to depreciate the shit out of it as soon as you drive off the lot
e)discover that you really didn't want a standard seating position or an inline-4

My advice, like others have already told your ass, get a Ninja 250 and learn. If you think your so awesome and your pockets are real deep breh, get a used SV650 (under 4k) and learn on it. Plenty fast, torquey, nimble, and gets great mileage. Because if you use your settlement money to get a brand spankin' new bike and drop it and fuck it up, I will point and laugh at you.

This is all IMO.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my 1st bike