Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

OBD2b to OBD1 jumper harness question

Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Dillweed
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed
Default Re: OBD2b to OBD1 jumper harness question

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes, you need a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU. You also need a wire from the VTEC pressure switch to the ECU so that the ECU knows there is enough oil pressure for VTEC to work correctly. A 1-wire VTEC option has the pressure switch input disabled in the program, so the ECU doesn't look for the oil pressure switch. It's a pretty useless option because it really only gets rid of a small amount of work (running an extra wire) and also gets rid of a minor operational check (the oil pressure switch).

1-wire VTEC outputs are really only useful for ECUs that don't have an input for the VTEC pressure switch, like the OBD0 PM6 ECUs that we used to convert to have a VTEC output. It's pretty useless on something like a P28, and there is no reason I can think of that a 1-wire VTEC option would be a benefit on a P28.
Nice chunk of info, and I'm not just saying that because you said something about OBD0
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 AM
CoasTek240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CoasTek240 is a jewel in the roughCoasTek240 is a jewel in the roughCoasTek240 is a jewel in the roughCoasTek240 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: OBD2b to OBD1 jumper harness question

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes, you need a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU. You also need a wire from the VTEC pressure switch to the ECU so that the ECU knows there is enough oil pressure for VTEC to work correctly. A 1-wire VTEC option has the pressure switch input disabled in the program, so the ECU doesn't look for the oil pressure switch. It's a pretty useless option because it really only gets rid of a small amount of work (running an extra wire) and also gets rid of a minor operational check (the oil pressure switch).

1-wire VTEC outputs are really only useful for ECUs that don't have an input for the VTEC pressure switch, like the OBD0 PM6 ECUs that we used to convert to have a VTEC output. It's pretty useless on something like a P28, and there is no reason I can think of that a 1-wire VTEC option would be a benefit on a P28.
honestly thankyou for all your help. youve been very helpful.
i think im gonna go with the chipped and socketed p28 with the 1wire vtec. i understand its only 1 more wire to run but thats just one more thing that id have to do.
then all i need is the harness and im set i guess.
ill let yall know how the install goes.