Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 honda civic si breaking up

Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 2000 honda civic si breaking up

If it's a fuel pump problem, it would NOT work fine when at full throttle (when the flow is higher). Same with spark plugs. Higher power output means higher cylinder pressure, which makes spark plug gap problems worse, not better.

It's more likely something like a throttle position sensor that is going bad and isn't functioning properly at the angular position where it starts to break up.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it's a fuel pump problem, it would NOT work fine when at full throttle (when the flow is higher). Same with spark plugs. Higher power output means higher cylinder pressure, which makes spark plug gap problems worse, not better.

It's more likely something like a throttle position sensor that is going bad and isn't functioning properly at the angular position where it starts to break up.
Taking fuel pump out of the equation. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Daily_Trades
Registered Member

Daily_Trades has disabled reputation

Check all Ur Ground Wires. I also have a 00 em1. i did the very exact same thing as u as far as plugs, wires, rotor button. thought it may have been the problem (wasnt) . Next thought it had ecu problem (changed) but still did it. this may not be your problem, but after checking everything it turned out that my dizzy was taking a shit. i replaced ignitor, and coil. and ran fine after that. hope it helps may not be a bad idea just to check that.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daily_Trades
Check all Ur Ground Wires. I also have a 00 em1. i did the very exact same thing as u as far as plugs, wires, rotor button. thought it may have been the problem (wasnt) . Next thought it had ecu problem (changed) but still did it. this may not be your problem, but after checking everything it turned out that my dizzy was taking a shit. i replaced ignitor, and coil. and ran fine after that. hope it helps may not be a bad idea just to check that.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

What is an Ur Ground?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
sixcyl?
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

^lol rep.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

I think it means ultra retarded, but I can't swear to it
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
The real Ryan
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Just something else to throw out there, most hondas these days are running the shitty aftermarket "TD44 and TD84" stickered distributors that come from places like bapgeon, ect. Those distributors have poor quality internals and can cause all sorts of issues, but still work. Your typical life span on them is about a year or so of daily driving before they start screwing up. Try borrowing a friends distributor and see if the problem persists. It's free and easy.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Update:

While tinkering with the car today I noticed the breaking up occurs around 3500rpm most frequently. Also the top sensor on the throttle body (can't remember which it is) came off of the stock b16 which would have this issue every now and again. I didn't get a chance to completely disassemble the distributor but upon removing the cap I didn't see anything out of the ordinary or anything broken within the cap nor anything out of the ordinary inside of the distributor (what I could see inside it without removing it and taking it apart.

Can the top sensor being faulty cause this issue? Again I don't recall whether its the MAP or MAF sensor that's on top
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The real Ryan
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
Update:

While tinkering with the car today I noticed the breaking up occurs around 3500rpm most frequently. Also the top sensor on the throttle body (can't remember which it is) came off of the stock b16 which would have this issue every now and again. I didn't get a chance to completely disassemble the distributor but upon removing the cap I didn't see anything out of the ordinary or anything broken within the cap nor anything out of the ordinary inside of the distributor (what I could see inside it without removing it and taking it apart.

Can the top sensor being faulty cause this issue? Again I don't recall whether its the MAP or MAF sensor that's on top
That's the MAP sensor, and honestly I've never had one go bad personally. Try a friend's distributor so that you can rule that out.