Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need HELP!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer
Default Re: I need HELP!

Originally Posted by BogusBubble
I checked all the fuses and there good. I'll have to try that. If it is the fuel pump that is bad, what would be a good one to replace it with?
check for power on both sides of the fuse. check for continuity on the wiring going to the fuel pump. if it is receiving power and isn't working replace it. bosch makes a better product than walbro. good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
BogusBubble
Registered Member

BogusBubble has disabled reputation

Thanks I have another question. So when I turn the key should the fuel pump relay make a noise when it turns on? cause it doesn't
Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

sure you're getting a spark?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by BogusBubble
Thanks I have another question. So when I turn the key should the fuel pump relay make a noise when it turns on? cause it doesn't
the fuel pump relay should click when you turn the key on however you might not be able to hear it. if you suspect a bad relay you can pull it out and use a jumper to bypass it to check. if the fuel pump works w/ the jumper you need a new relay.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Dubee88
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88

first and foremost...do you know how to use a multi meter? or a volt meter at least?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by Dubee88
first and foremost...do you know how to use a multi meter? or a volt meter at least?
a multimeter can be used for a variety of functions. check youtube videos.

black is ground (not negative). put that onto a good bare metal part of the engine or chassis. you use the red one to probe (no homo) to test.

you can use the continuity feature to test fuses, relays, and wires (to see if they are broken/cut).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
a multimeter can be used for a variety of functions. check youtube videos.

black is ground (not negative). put that onto a good bare metal part of the engine or chassis. you use the red one to probe (no homo) to test.

you can use the continuity feature to test fuses, relays, and wires (to see if they are broken/cut).
If you're only using a multimeter to only test between ground and and some point with voltage, you're missing a large part of the functionality. The black probe IS negative, not ground. The multimeter just compares the voltage between the red and black wires, it doesn't care if the black wire is connected to chassis ground. Think of it as a comparing device. It compares voltage between two points. If one of those points is ground, that's fine. But it doesn't have to be ground.

You can also measure a voltage drop between two power points (like two different points on a wire) if you want. You can also measure two different ground points if you want. That's useful if you're trying to troubleshooting a grounding problem; you can have a few volts between different ground points if you have something like connector corrosion, etc.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Niburu
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

OP, out of curiosity, what IS working electrically?
lights, windows, etc...

also there may be something in here that'll help
http://www.miata.net/garage/garageengine.html

Last edited by Niburu; 01-25-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're only using a multimeter to only test between ground and and some point with voltage, you're missing a large part of the functionality. The black probe IS negative, not ground. The multimeter just compares the voltage between the red and black wires, it doesn't care if the black wire is connected to chassis ground. Think of it as a comparing device. It compares voltage between two points. If one of those points is ground, that's fine. But it doesn't have to be ground.

You can also measure a voltage drop between two power points (like two different points on a wire) if you want. You can also measure two different ground points if you want. That's useful if you're trying to troubleshooting a grounding problem; you can have a few volts between different ground points if you have something like connector corrosion, etc.
the poster just needed a very simple means to test basic things on a car. a multimeter can do many things, best not to confuse him so early.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Broke Neck
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

OP:

Miatas are known for fuel pump relay problems.

Open your hood, on the driver fender is a diag port, open it up. Take a piece of wire and connect GRND and FUEL and try and start it.

This bypasses the relay all together, remember whenever the key is on your fuel pump will be running, but whne your key is on your car should be running anyways.

Quick Reply: I need HELP!