Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Good areas to live in MD/NOVA

Old 02-16-2012 | 06:11 AM
TATTRAT
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT
Default Re: Good areas to live in MD/NOVA

Columbia and Ellicott City are about the only places I have experience with, in regards to living in MD(lived there when I was doing work in Baltimore). Wouldn't be that bad of a commute, and the area is a lot nicer than some of the other surrounding areas.
Old 02-16-2012 | 06:22 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

jason,

serious bro. don't move here. it's a fucktard wasteland. better long term opportunities in va beach and norfolk. they get advertised in maryland 'cause they can't keep people here, it's a revolving door scenario. you don't want to move and get stuck here.

<3
Old 02-16-2012 | 06:23 AM
Lay Zee H
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Columbia and Ellicott City are about the only places I have experience with, in regards to living in MD(lived there when I was doing work in Baltimore). Wouldn't be that bad of a commute, and the area is a lot nicer than some of the other surrounding areas.
Severna Park is good. But as with any nice area on the side of Murdaland, you pay out your ass to live there.
Old 02-16-2012 | 06:24 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

columbia is now overrun with yuppies and ellicott city real estate priced out all colored folk. there are still some decent boonies left, but life is very different than va beach.
Old 02-16-2012 | 06:50 AM
TATTRAT
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
jason,

serious bro. don't move here. it's a fucktard wasteland. better long term opportunities in va beach and norfolk. they get advertised in maryland 'cause they can't keep people here, it's a revolving door scenario. you don't want to move and get stuck here.

<3
If it is something that even for a short term, 4 year stint, and is better NOW than anything going on down there, why recommend against it? VB/Norf is no less of a revolving door that Ft.Mead.

Sometimes, picking up and moving is what it takes to change life as a whole. Sometimes, it's just for a job. No matter what, Jason has more than enough roots in Vab to go back if he needed/wanted.
Old 02-16-2012 | 07:06 AM
WutupYo
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

If it is something that even for a short term, 4 year stint, and is better NOW than anything going on down there, why recommend against it? VB/Norf is no less of a revolving door that Ft.Mead.

Sometimes, picking up and moving is what it takes to change life as a whole. Sometimes, it's just for a job. No matter what, Jason has more than enough roots in Vab to go back if he needed/wanted.
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm HOPING that this position is something that will greatly help my career. And by living there, getting cheaper schooling at a college I'm really interested in. I'm really hoping its will be a big benefit for me.

BUT, I don't want to live in a "bad" part of town, not have anything to do, yadda yadda... Its a big decision if it finally comes to the point of deciding to move. I anticipate life would be a lot different than here, regardless of where I move. I've also considered that NOVA is a very large area of opprotunity when it comes to IT jobs, so I've been telling myself for a while that I'd be willing to move up there.

either way, just in the contemplative stage right now, trying to see what people think of the area, what people who actually work there do in regards of living/communting. I do appreciate all of the input and opinions, thats for sure.
Old 02-16-2012 | 07:06 AM
bryan64613
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613

Originally Posted by ravenracer
As of yesterday they enabled at least 50 more photo enforced speed cameras.

I work in MD, Rockville area and commute back to Fairfax VA - Mom to Friday

If your job does requires you to commute between passed 7 am and after 3pm and you live in NOVA. You will cry in traffic
Est traffic 1.30hr +

If your job requires you to commute before 7 am and before 3 pm and you live in NOVA. Traffic won't be as bad. Also depends were in NOVA you live. Est traffic 1hr or less

Look at the pro & cons in other factors also.
Where do you work in Rockville?

I live in Rockville and commute to Springfield, VA Mon-Fri.

You are right traffic suck (495) after 7am and after 3pm. Normally no traffic I would do 40-45m at the most to get to work. That's what would take me normally to get from Rockville to Springfield. Sometimes after 4pm it takes me 1:30-45 to get back home.

OP: Look into Montgomery county. Good schools and good places to live. Some areas are a little expensive, but very good. PG sucks I wouldn't even recommend you to look into there.
Old 02-16-2012 | 07:11 AM
TATTRAT
WEEEEEEEEEEE

Originally Posted by WutupYo
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm HOPING that this position is something that will greatly help my career. And by living there, getting cheaper schooling at a college I'm really interested in. I'm really hoping its will be a big benefit for me.

BUT, I don't want to live in a "bad" part of town, not have anything to do, yadda yadda... Its a big decision if it finally comes to the point of deciding to move. I anticipate life would be a lot different than here, regardless of where I move. I've also considered that NOVA is a very large area of opprotunity when it comes to IT jobs, so I've been telling myself for a while that I'd be willing to move up there.

either way, just in the contemplative stage right now, trying to see what people think of the area, what people who actually work there do in regards of living/communting. I do appreciate all of the input and opinions, thats for sure.

well, you know Rich has space for you to crash if you wanna check out MD, and I got ya covered if you want to check out NOVA.

You have been in VaB long enough to know, it's the same shit, all day, everyday. . . hardly anything ever seems to change there. The GOVT insulates this area pretty well, and there certainly a lot more opportunities.
Old 02-16-2012 | 07:11 AM
WutupYo
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Will do, thanks. Let me also mention, there is a good chance the GF and her kid would be coming with, so I have to consider them as well. She is a teacher, and the kid is 4, so starting up kindergarten soon.
Old 02-16-2012 | 07:14 AM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

DON'T FUCKING MOVE HERE!!! Everybody I know is looking to get out of this shit-hole state. The places that are worth living cost an arm and a leg. The places that aren't worth living cost an arm and a leg. Taxes are high, crime is high, half the cops are high. Our gun laws are RETARDED. The schools are shitty unless you go out west to like Carroll County or North to at least Towson. I have teacher friends and there are VERY few teacher jobs in the central area of the state. Can't speak to the south area in that regard. The speed cameras are so rediculous that the congresmen and women are starting to try and put restrictions on em even though they voted em in. MD politics is fucking retarded in general. We're a HUGE welfare state and if unless you're lookingto leach off the system you REALLY don't want to live here.

BTW who want to move to Austin, TX with me and the fam?

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Last edited by burnoutboy; 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Good areas to live in MD/NOVA