Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

sherwin williams automotive paint???

Old 07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
s2k7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s2k7 has disabled reputation
Default Re: sherwin williams automotive paint???

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's uhh.. $680 per gallon. Are you so sure that's a good deal??

It's actually reduced. So more than likely it's around 340(which isnt bad for a custom color) for 2 quarts, then reduce it to what it asks.

The paint i work with is 1:1 so i only need 2 quarts reduced to a gallon. Reducer is cheap.

and i dont work at maaco whoever asked.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
s2k7

Originally Posted by 3xb18
i use it every day there basecoat is not so good but there clears are great there colrs always have like 6 variances but to just paint a little piece u should br alright
6 alternates? Shit that's not that bad actually. Dupont has a crap load, but no other paint on the market can match paint like dupont.

That's why sherman williams needs to catch up and add the same thing dupont uses called the vindicator. Just pop in the vin, and it tell's you what plant it was painted, and picks the right alternate for you.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Domestic2Import
Snapped Axles

Domestic2Import is an unknown quantity at this point

Nate where you do paint at, and how much would you charge me to do full color swap on my 1991 civic hb, i just want color swapped out dont know what color id have to look in a book. But, i need everything painted engine bay,door jambs,and trunk. and a little bit of the body... cause my car was just recently painted white, imma take some tape and outline my graphics and whatever is showing needs to be painted the new color. that or if you know anywhere, cause my compressor crapped out on me, and i cant paint it myself now, and I dont feel like buying a new compressor.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM
roadrcr82
Registered Member

roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82

yeah i love there clear coats. there basecoats are ok. hard to match up original paint though. im a shade off on mine so i might have to go with dupont base coat instead. 2 quarts should cover the whole car though right? i dont think you would need a whole gallon.. only thing is that when i clear i get made orange peal in the clear and i dont feel like wet sanding it. what can i do to reduce the orange peal?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
s2k7

Originally Posted by roadrcr82
yeah i love there clear coats. there basecoats are ok. hard to match up original paint though. im a shade off on mine so i might have to go with dupont base coat instead. 2 quarts should cover the whole car though right? i dont think you would need a whole gallon.. only thing is that when i clear i get made orange peal in the clear and i dont feel like wet sanding it. what can i do to reduce the orange peal?

Even using dupont will not help you maintain a 100% percent color match if you're panel painting. I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you're doing a lip, bumper...wing....and so on. I would blend your adjacent panel. For ex: if you're painting your fender....blend the color into the door. Then, clear both the door and the fender.

It actually depends on what type of base your using. Im not familar with house of kolors. I dont know how their system works. If their mix ratio for their base is 2:1 then its thick and doesnt require much paint. It's 1:1 then its thin and might require a set valueshade sealer underneath to help with the coverage and you'll probably use a little more. Thicker paint doesnt need to be sealed unless they sanded with something too coarse and need to aid in covering the scratches. I actually use a little less than a gallon of paint reduced 1:1. Being i go over the car 3 times well to make sure it has uniform coverage. I also spray with a 1.5 tip on my sealer, a 1.4 on my solid colors, and a 1.3 on metallics to help break up the metallic and pearl. Then i usually clear with a 1.4tip.

There are so many factors that could lead to your orange peel. You could be applying too many coats of base(too thick), air temp, air flow, speed in which your spraying, how much clear your applying, the tip of your gun, your clear coat reducer is aiding in your clearing drying too fast and many more factors. I wish i could help you, but without actually watching you spray and being in the enviroment in which you are painting in, i dont really know what you're doing wrong.

Last edited by s2k7; 07-13-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
roadrcr82
Registered Member

roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82

i think what happened is i put to much damn hardener in it. ill try a little less next time and see if it lays better. im just starting out so im pretty much just experimenting with the clear right now. my base lays fine and i have no problems with the base at all but my clear is what needs some work. would i want to use more or less hardener if its hot out?? and what air pressure should i be straying my clear at? its a gravity feed gun (hvlp) if that helps any
Old 07-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Domestic2Import
Snapped Axles

Domestic2Import is an unknown quantity at this point

use less hardner, and as far as pressure, i dont really know, I normally go by the feel of it, and the flow of how much comes out.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:04 AM
3xb18
Registered Member

3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute

alot of sw alts are vin matched and usually right but all sw tech labs suck and they are always behind on getting info to us like you wont see one in the painttrak and then u call the tech number and they are like oh we must not have put that in the update try this alt and it works but i almost always have to tint there golds

btw you clear with a 1.4 i tried to go with a 1.4 in my new jet 90 and i got solvent pop like a bitch so i switched back to my old 1.3 setup with none thats how sensitive sw is it suck
Old 07-13-2004, 11:37 AM
roadrcr82
Registered Member

oh im running a 1.5 so i guess thats not good for clear or base huh?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:33 PM
s2k7

Originally Posted by 3xb18
alot of sw alts are vin matched and usually right but all sw tech labs suck and they are always behind on getting info to us like you wont see one in the painttrak and then u call the tech number and they are like oh we must not have put that in the update try this alt and it works but i almost always have to tint there golds

btw you clear with a 1.4 i tried to go with a 1.4 in my new jet 90 and i got solvent pop like a bitch so i switched back to my old 1.3 setup with none thats how sensitive sw is it suck

what's sherman williams mix ratio in their clears? Isnt' it 3:1? Why are you getting solvent pop, that shouldn't come from what tip you're using unless your straight pouring clear on the car.

You can use 1.5 for base and clear, thats the tip i actually learned to paint with believe it or not. Its easier to make mistakes with that, but just dont have your material flow wide open, cut it back some.

I wouldn't use "less" hardner on hot days. Although it will work and cause your drying times to slow down, but if your not carefull the clear will never be it's fully cured state resulting in easy rock chips. Get the right harder for the right temp it is. Usually low temp is around 65-75, mid is 75-85 and high is 85-95+. Don't use a low temp reducer on 90degree or hotter days...

btw how do you like your jet 90? I own 5 nr2000's thats all ive ever sprayed with besides sata's old 95 which i learned on.

Last edited by s2k7; 07-13-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: sherwin williams automotive paint???