Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

rebuilding a turbo

Old 10-27-2004, 05:31 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: rebuilding a turbo

some people dont get it i guess

it is usually cheaper to get another turbo then to rebuild one, especially if its a bushing type (non ball bearing)

unless of course it is a custom trim or something, but that turbo is like a civic. common as hell. but it has more torque on the impeller nut then a civic makes.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:47 PM
flynlow
Registered Member

flynlow has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fc735
some people dont get it i guess

it is usually cheaper to get another turbo then to rebuild one, especially if its a bushing type (non ball bearing)

unless of course it is a custom trim or something, but that turbo is like a civic. common as hell. but it has more torque on the impeller nut then a civic makes.

the reason why i wanted to get it rebuilt is because someone told me that it only cost them 150 to 200 to built their turbo and they took it to metro heavy duty on orange ave. i don't kow why that woman quoted me 600. if i could find a turbo for cheap i would have bought it a long time ago. anybody know anyone who's selling it or where to get one for a good price?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:54 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

actually.....

i think i have one of them in pile of shit at the shop, but i think it was leaking a little oil too (its common in them.....)
Old 10-28-2004, 04:39 AM
cootees
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Most guys with hondas buy them cause they think they can build an inexspensive turbo system with them. Unless you have one of those special hondas that you can bolt a dsm manifold onto with just boring the stud holes. Then it's not going to be cheap. You will be looking at paying someone to fabricate a manifold. You will end up spending more on the whole project buy trying to save a few bucks with purchasing a mitsu turbo.

On a side note. Most honda junkies look for mid-high range power which is why you will see a t3/t04e as the turbo of their choice. Not to mention you can find manifolds galore for them.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:08 AM
16g-95gsx
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres nothing better than a turbo thats the size of my head on a 1.6-1.8L pushing only 7psi.

Maybe this is a lesson as to why you dont try to skimp out on things. It just winds up costing you more than you would have spent anyway in the long run. You might save 50 bucks, but how much labor and effort are you going to have to do to run around trying to find someone to rebuild it, or what about the risk involved when something such as what you're seeing comes up where it isnt quite what you expected?

Do it right, do it once.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 AM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cootees
Most guys with hondas buy them cause they think they can build an inexspensive turbo system with them. Unless you have one of those special hondas that you can bolt a dsm manifold onto with just boring the stud holes. Then it's not going to be cheap. You will be looking at paying someone to fabricate a manifold. You will end up spending more on the whole project buy trying to save a few bucks with purchasing a mitsu turbo.

On a side note. Most honda junkies look for mid-high range power which is why you will see a t3/t04e as the turbo of their choice. Not to mention you can find manifolds galore for them.
that would be my H23! the SOHC guys can also use HF manifolds and an adapter plate, totaling like $75 or so.. slap a T25 on there, deal with fuel work and piping and you have a turbo setup under $750.. sure beats I/H/E ha..
Old 10-28-2004, 08:30 AM
cootees
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by GaRn
that would be my H23! the SOHC guys can also use HF manifolds and an adapter plate, totaling like $75 or so.. slap a T25 on there, deal with fuel work and piping and you have a turbo setup under $750.. sure beats I/H/E ha..
Not all sohc motors it will work for. The topic starter has a del sol, so I am not sure which motor he is running. Take a look at the other turbocharged del sol's around roanoke, there are 2 or 3 of them that I know of. See how they have it setup... with the exception of one... that has a turbocharged b18 in it. (which is for sale by the way)

The point I was trying to make it that hondas typically have enough torque that they are not worried about the instant boost so they go with a larger turbo to help out where they lack the power.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:53 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
Theres nothing better than a turbo thats the size of my head on a 1.6-1.8L pushing only 7psi.

Maybe this is a lesson as to why you dont try to skimp out on things. It just winds up costing you more than you would have spent anyway in the long run. You might save 50 bucks, but how much labor and effort are you going to have to do to run around trying to find someone to rebuild it, or what about the risk involved when something such as what you're seeing comes up where it isnt quite what you expected?

Do it right, do it once.

a DSM owner saying dont skimp? holy shit....

Old 10-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by cootees
The point I was trying to make it that hondas typically have enough torque that they are not worried about the instant boost so they go with a larger turbo to help out where they lack the power.
Wait... Can you say "Honda" and "torque" in the same sentance?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
cootees
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Wait... Can you say "Honda" and "torque" in the same sentance?
Yes, I can. I drive a dsm. lol. Our torque is almost in the negatives.

Quick Reply: rebuilding a turbo