Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

want more flex

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello
Default Re: want more flex

Originally Posted by -JB-
Get rid of the IFS. 4 Link the rear, add coiloivers, 3link the front, remove your junk axle, replace with a beefy axles (your choice here, 14bolt, hi9's, dana 60, mogs, etc) Stuff 40-42's on it, shave the fenders if necessary, get some DOM tubing some johnny joints and start building.

Here's a smaller build on a forum, but I know deep down you wanna build bigger

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=dovetail
Why 3 link the front? Why not a 4 link? What kind of joints/bushings?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 AM
phyber
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

Get rid of the Ranger. Get a Jeep.
fixed.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
Why 3 link the front? Why not a 4 link? What kind of joints/bushings?
Both are very debatable. As far as joints/bushings, depends on the use of this vehicle. If it see's road time then one over the other will provide a "softer" ride.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by phyber
fixed.
Of course
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
JDM74
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Why do you want it to flex more? For off road or just showing off? A locker in the rear will take you farther offroad than more flex will. In fact a locker in the rear in 2wd will take you farther than 4x4 with open diffs will.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Both are very debatable. As far as joints/bushings, depends on the use of this vehicle. If it see's road time then one over the other will provide a "softer" ride.
If it were me I'd go 4 link all the way around and he doesn't really need a panhard bar since hes looking for more flex so we can ditch that idea... And a 3" link, 2 forward links and a wishbone, is going to reduce flex which is what he wants... Since hes building it w/ flex in mind I'd recommend heim joints... The ride is going to be solid, sure, but thats to be expected w/o a bushing there to take some of the force...

Originally Posted by JDM74
Why do you want it to flex more? For off road or just showing off? A locker in the rear will take you farther offroad than more flex will. In fact a locker in the rear in 2wd will take you farther than 4x4 with open diffs will.
I'd be willing to guess hes building an all purpose truck... Even in offroading you need flex in order to gain traction... B/c w/ less flex you may find yourself in a 3 wheeling situation or a higher rollover situation... Everything from top to bottom suspension wise needs to be evened out...
Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
nissanfixer
Piss off

nissanfixer has disabled reputation

all im going to say is IFS sucks. to much stuff to break esp on the newer trucks with so much aluminum under the front like dif housings

cuz crap like this happens

from doing this

Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Zack
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

Dont need any stinkin' links to flex

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Originally Posted by Zack
Dont need any stinkin' links to flex

Thats a short wheelbase... Thats a different ball game...
Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 AM
JDM74
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
I'd be willing to guess hes building an all purpose truck... Even in offroading you need flex in order to gain traction... B/c w/ less flex you may find yourself in a 3 wheeling situation or a higher rollover situation... Everything from top to bottom suspension wise needs to be evened out...
I am aware of this but from the way it sounds in this thread a truck has no business offroad unless it has ZOMG 4-link suspension and a SAS. There are plenty of capable, well rounded rigs that are still running IFS. My truck is an example. The hands down best mod that made it more offroad capable is the locker. Ask anybody that has one if it made a difference.

If I had to do a SAS on it I would use leaf springs. Simple and easy and can be made to flex more than adequetly for what this guy wants.

The OP still hasn't answered my question, what will the truck be used for? That will determine the way in which more flex will be achieved. Is this your daily driver/ only car or do you have a tow rig to take this to the trail? Driving around on SAS at 60 mph takes more care and precision on install than driving around trails in 4 lo on one.

Quick Reply: want more flex