Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS crank in GSR block

Old 04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
C16EFSedan
SG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C16EFSedan has disabled reputation
Default Re: LS crank in GSR block

Ha this thread is like 80% fail
Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
hatchblack
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

i could be off but i think someone told me it raises displacement? anyone confirm or disconfrim?

or am i mixed up? is there any change involved like that with other cranks and other blocks?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by hatchblack
i could be off but i think someone told me it raises displacement? anyone confirm or disconfrim?

or am i mixed up? is there any change involved like that with other cranks and other blocks?
If you increase volume (bore, head work, etc.) and/or stroke, you increase displacement.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Yell88CRXsi
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Ooooh k

1. A LS crank WILL work in a GSR block or in any other B series block for that matter.

2. To run a LS crank you MUST use rods for a LS. B16 & LS/B20's have slightly wider rods and rod bearings.

3. You DO NOT need to remove or use oil squirter block offs. Just simply bend the squirter so that the crank counter weigh does not hit the squirters. They should be used when running a street motor setup.

4. The LS and B20 blocks have the same deck heights as the GSR and ITR.

5. If you do use a LS crank and rods in a GSR, it may ever so slightly increase compression, but it really matters on what pistons you use and whether or not you are using a GSR head.

6. the LS/B20 cranks (which are the same btw) are 89mm stroke where the GSR/ITR cranks (which ARE NOT the same...btw) are 87.2mm stroke.

7. NO, head machining is not required when using any B series crank in any B series block as long as you are not a dumb ass and try to put a LS crank with CTR rods in a B16A block!

8. I am NOT 100% wrong and last time I checked this thread WAS about 80% failed!

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 04-13-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:07 PM
hatchblack
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

i know boring increases displacement but doesnt stroke too?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Yell88CRXsi
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Yes, increasing stroke does. That's why a LS is 1834cc and a GSR/ITR are only 1797cc
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Big Boosta
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi

3. You DO NOT need to remove or use oil squirter block offs. Just simply bend the squirter so that the crank counter weigh does not hit the squirters. They should be used when running a street motor setup.
Yeah i found my answer a long time ago, but about the oil squirters, i wouldn't recommend any one bend them out of the way, there set at a precise angle which moving them might as well make them useless, Ive been talking to some big names about this and they all agree on going with the block off, and getting forged pistons, they said you can try to get your crank lightened by a shop that's willing to do it to clear the squirters if you wanna run oem pistons.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
4. The LS and B20 blocks have the same deck heights as the GSR and ITR.
Nope. The B18A/B and B20B are 211.84mm whereas the B18C1/C5 are 212.39mm.

Originally Posted by hatchlback
i know boring increases displacement but doesnt stroke too?
I answered this above already. Yes.

The thread does contain a good deal of fail, but I wouldn't quite say 100%, maybe 99.9%.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

i have been this route, and yes it work, use b16 pistons for high compression, and a vtec head and you will have a nice vtec setup....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
StermeR
CTR Coming Soon!

StermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond reputeStermeR has a reputation beyond repute

im only confused..why run a gsr block.. and a b16 head it would be a waste of money..
especially if u already have a ls block..but if u have a gsr block i sell it or keep it and buyy a gsr head and run a GSR not half of one..some people rather run b16 cause there similar to Tr's.. but it all depends on what ur looking for turbo/na..

im running stock ls block, with gsr head..
got the golden eagle vtec kit and everything works fine...
just throwing that out there..not as difficult as it sounds.
vtec hits hard in mine might wanna throw a type r cam if ur running b16 head..depends on what ur looking for

Last edited by StermeR; 04-13-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: LS crank in GSR block