Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Cycle tickets

Old 02-18-2006 | 07:59 AM
joey011582
Registered Member

joey011582 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cycle tickets

mostly its the old bikes with the speedo running off the front tire.
Old 02-18-2006 | 12:14 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

speedo? what speedo? i don't have no shtinkin speedo....
Old 02-25-2006 | 07:21 AM
Night Ryder
Registered Member

Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder

those were pretty intersting stories. i'm too chicken to ride more that 20 over the speed limit, and that is only for a second or two. i can't do a wheelie, never tried.
stay safe
Old 02-25-2006 | 08:50 AM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
107/55.

Will let you know the outcome March 13th.
ouch
Old 02-25-2006 | 04:13 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by CBR600F4
Hmmmmm.....................

I was there when it was on the dyno.

Speedo was reading the whole time.

At max speed in 6th gear my speedo read 180mph while the dyno said my rear wheel was only moving at 168mph.

Dunno what bike has a speedo cable attached to the front wheel; but it's not ANY of the bikes I've laid my eye's on.

I ask anyone on this site to go find on their front tire assy where it gets the speedo reading from. You prolly won't find it.

btw man, almost every bike i've ever owned has driven the sppedo by the front wheel. picking up a signal from the output shaft is actually a newer thing on bikes. even my sv drove it off the front wheel. it just wasn't cable driven. look down at the front wheel...at the axle... see that lil black box? that's what sends the signal to the speedo. ALOT of bikes still drive off the wheel. just because YOUR bike doesn't work that way, doesn't make it a universal thing.

the bad parts is, you change the front sprocket size (a very common upgrade) hell, or your rear sprocket size, and your speedo is now even further off than it was from the factory. it's just like running bigger or smaller rims and tires on a car.

and for the record, the only way your cbr is going to do 168mph in real life, is if you drop it out of a helicopter.... straight down. anything over 100mph or so and wind resistance is a MAJOR issue with how fast you can actually go.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 02-25-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2006 | 05:51 AM
octane
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

I have more ticket stories than I care to remember!! Here are a few though. For the record, I usually pull right over. Only once that I can remember did I just roll out. I was in Pennsylvania riding some mountain roads with a buddy. We came around a really fast downhill sweeper at about 110mph and there was a cop in a pulloff at the bottom standing on the shoulder with a radar gun. He got on the radio and we just kept jamming, but never saw a cop in the rearview. Got off lucky that time.

I got pulled in Henrico a few years ago by a trooper that ended up being the biggest dick cop I ever met. Was riding (with the same buddy) on the interstate going to Charlottesville. Stood up on the pegs for a second to stretch my legs and saw the cop as soon as I stood up. I was in the middle lane moving with traffic about 80mph. He turned on the lights, got behind me, and I pulled right over. My buddy was 3 or 4 cars up and didn't notice. Cop pulls me, lectures me about how dangerous it is to stand up and a bunch of other BS, then gives me TWO reckless driving tickets. One for over 20mph and one for standing on the pegs. Then he wants to know who my buddy is. Told him I didn't know the other rider, etc. He cuffs me, puts me in the car and detains me for "obstruction of justice". Ass. Now I'm kind of nervous though because if they get my buddy farther up the road and they realize we have the same address I'm fucked! He radioed for other troopers to look for a red bike, called a tow truck to impound my bike and the whole bit. Fortunately, they never caught my buddy, so he had to let me and my bike go. But I sat in that damn car for an hour. So I finally get to Charlottesville and run into my buddy, who rolled in ten minutes AFTER me. As it turns out a guy in a car saw me get pulled and caught up to my buddy a few miles up the road and motioned to him that I had been pulled over. So he pulled over on the shoulder to wait for me. While he was waiting another cop pulled over thinking he was broken down. He says no, I'm just waiting for my buddy - and it never occurs to this cop that this is the other guy they're looking for! After I didn't come by for a while he went up to the next exit, back tracked, but by that time the cop had let me go and I was on my way again and we just never crossed paths til we got to Charlottesville. BTW, I had to go to court for those tickets and the judge gave me a ten minute lecture about how dangerous motorcycles are, how his nephew was killed on a motorcycle and he hates them, and totally threw the book at me. Took me a year to pay off those fines.

I got pulled over last Memorial Day weekend on 460. Didn't run...there's nowhere to go but straight anyhow! I was rolling on the tail end of a couple of fast moving cars and a trooper going the other way passed, did a 180 and just pulled me over. Sucked! He did the, "You know how fast you were going.", then looked down and realized I had no speedometer. I told him I was going about 5 grand...with is roughly 65mph. Apparently my calculations were wrong and I was doing 74 in a 55. I don't think the cop knew quite what to do with me. The bike has no speedometer, no turn signals and unfortunately at the time no inspection. The tags and insurance were up to date, but I didn't have my insurance card with me. So the cop says, "We have a few problems here". No speedo (which btw, is NOT illegal), no signals (again, NOT illegal), no proof of insurance, no inspection, and the speeding. He also seemed a bit perplexed that nowhere on my bike does it say Suzuki or have a model. And the registration says it's red...which it isn't anymore. So he called in the VIN before he let me go! He disagreed with me on the speedo and signals...but didn't bust my balls about it too bad. Overall the cop was pretty cool, we BS'd for a few minutes and he gave me a ticket for speeding and the inspection and paced me so I could find 60mph on my tach.
Old 02-27-2006 | 05:22 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

i don't think i've ever owned a bike with a speedo. i get alot of crap for it too. most caops don't know the law. technically, for dmv purposes, you're supposed to have an odometer. hell, in va, the don't require a headlight on the bike during daylight hours, and a tail or brake light isn't required. i wouldn't recommend the tail/brake light thing though. it's rediculous how many people don't know any hand signals. i can't count how many times i've gone to make a right turn, and had people wave at me.

va has the stupidest vehicle laws for cars, but they're pretty slack on required equipment on bikes.