Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Suggestions on first bike.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Stea1thy
aka GSXR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy
Default Re: Suggestions on first bike.

Originally Posted by slowrsx
suggestion for first bike dont get one. Poeple from Virginia are ignorant they will hit your ass. I barowed a bike from a friend for two days last summer almost got hit by 3 people in one day. The last day I had it I didn't even want to ride it. By the way all you flammers I almost got hit because 2 people ran red lights on me and the third merged into my lane almost ran me off the side of the road. Not my FAULT
ummm its a bike, theyre much smaller than cars and its much easier to fall into someone's blindspot, but its also much easier to maneuver around or to avoid an accident on a bike as well. ive almost gotten ran off the road about 20x, one van even made me hit a fuckin curb at about 50mph (luckily did not crash tho). Shit happens, theres dangers to everything, just a lil more on a bike, but i still much rather ride my bike than drive my car, just cuz its a hell of a lot more fun. But you get used to riding, and used to the ways that people drive in VA, just predict the worst and anticipate stuff, and you should be straight.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

hehe, i had to kick the door of a VERY high dollar supra on i264 once, he was pushing me into the jersey wall, and there was a car in front of me, and one behind me, so i didn't have much else to do. the guy followed me off the interstate and into a gas station, and got out of his car screaming at me for the huge dent i just put in his door.
'bout that time mr. state trooper rolled up on his harley, and told me to leave. apparently he saw the whole thing and told the guy he would have done the same thing.
that was by far the coolest cop (let alone trooper) that i ever met.

btw, it's not "va drivers", people in general can't drive, you just have to be aware of everything around you. motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars, if they're ridden right. i'm ALOT more comfortable on my bike than in my car. if i have to accelerate, stop, swerve, turn, etc, i can do it twice as fast on a bike.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:47 PM
mischiefse7en
B18C1

mischiefse7en has disabled reputation

I'd recommend something cheap and easy/comfortable to ride
Old 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Stea1thy
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

OMG perfect starter bike
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/137617061.html
1993 Honda CBR600 F2. 12k miles. New tinted windscreen. Passed MD state inspection last July. New battery, good tires, includes Clymer manual. Cracks and chips in fairing. Dent in gas tank. Black aftermarket fairings. Left access door fairing missing. Clean title. Needs a tune up, but in good condition otherwise. All stock except for aftermarket rear sprocket. Call 301-467-4758 to schedule appointment to view.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:55 AM
1BDAZM
Registered Member

1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM

If you wanna learn to ride take the motorcycle safety class at tidewater community college. That way if you drop the bike it is not yours....can not get any cheaper than that. Plus you get a break on insurance. The class will teach you basic control and handling as well as of course some safety. I would recommend taking with a friend or so to make it much more enjoyable.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 AM
1BDAZM
Registered Member

1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM

Originally Posted by slowrsx
suggestion for first bike dont get one. Poeple from Virginia are ignorant they will hit your ass. I barowed a bike from a friend for two days last summer almost got hit by 3 people in one day. The last day I had it I didn't even want to ride it. By the way all you flammers I almost got hit because 2 people ran red lights on me and the third merged into my lane almost ran me off the side of the road. Not my FAULT
Are you sure they are the ignorant ones??? So how do you barowed a bike??? Is that a type of wheelie or something?? Never is your fault I am sure........
Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM
WutupYo
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by 1BDAZM
If you wanna learn to ride take the motorcycle safety class at tidewater community college. That way if you drop the bike it is not yours....can not get any cheaper than that. Plus you get a break on insurance. The class will teach you basic control and handling as well as of course some safety. I would recommend taking with a friend or so to make it much more enjoyable.
do you have to have your motorcycle learners or anything for this, or just sign up, and go with no experience?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 AM
octane
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
hehe, i had to kick the door of a VERY high dollar supra on i264 once, he was pushing me into the jersey wall, and there was a car in front of me, and one behind me, so i didn't have much else to do. the guy followed me off the interstate and into a gas station, and got out of his car screaming at me for the huge dent i just put in his door.
'bout that time mr. state trooper rolled up on his harley, and told me to leave. apparently he saw the whole thing and told the guy he would have done the same thing.
that was by far the coolest cop (let alone trooper) that i ever met.

btw, it's not "va drivers", people in general can't drive, you just have to be aware of everything around you. motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars, if they're ridden right. i'm ALOT more comfortable on my bike than in my car. if i have to accelerate, stop, swerve, turn, etc, i can do it twice as fast on a bike.
Man, one of those few times you're glad an invisible trooper was behind you!

And +1 on dangers vs. comfort level. IMO, inexperience is the most dangerous aspect of riding. You obviously need to learn somehow, but paying attention and riding within your limits in the early stages of riding is important both to your survival and how you'll ultimately end up feeling about riding. After I'd been riding about a year and I developed an instinct for spotting drivers that were not paying attention or distracted or were likely to make erratic moves or trucks with poorly secured loads, etc. - I had this moment of realization that these things had been happening around me all along and I just wasn't seeing them. Scary shit! But now that I do have those instincts, ten years of riding experience, and know I can handle my bike, it's not a big deal anymore.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:15 AM
donteay_wc
R1? IT'S A BEAST...

donteay_wc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1BDAZM
Are you sure they are the ignorant ones??? So how do you barowed a bike??? Is that a type of wheelie or something?? Never is your fault I am sure........
now that's funny lol
Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by WutupYo
do you have to have your motorcycle learners or anything for this, or just sign up, and go with no experience?

the course is designed for absolute beginners... with no experience required.

it is however, usually booked up months in advance.
here's a trick though (i did this when i was 16)
go to the class, and if someone doesn't show up, you can take thier spot. you may have to go to a couple classes to get in, but it's better than the 3-6 month waiting period they usually have.

if you get the old guys with the harley's and gold wings teaching, tell them i said hi. i was the guy they made sit out of the riding courses b/c i was having too much fun. all i heard was "ok... you passed... go sit over there, you're scaring the people that don't know what they're doing".... that was great...

Quick Reply: Suggestions on first bike.