Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Brake caliper paint... (yes I'm serious)

Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Flinch
Desolation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch
Default Re: Brake caliper paint... (yes I'm serious)

Trade them to someone with stock calipers.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Flite
Fucking fuck...

They're already fucking painted and I hate it. I didn't do it. I'm not a caliper painter. I think its dumb.

Im just looking for options to fix the current horrible look. If I wanted color advice, I'd ask on... somewhere else.

This is tech talk faggots

I'm going to remind you of your previous post:

My car is pretty much down for the winter. While it's down, I want to paint the calipers. Why you ask? Because they're currently red. I don't like it. Any thoughts on this? The Epoxy stuff is supposed to hold up to nearly 1000°. The red paint that's on them now is the epoxy stuff and it still looks brand new after 6 years. Here's the catch, I want to do some recreational track events next year.

Feel free to throw some recommendations at me too, even though that's not technical. The G2 stuff is what I've been looking at. I can't decide if I should go gold or black. My car is black on bronze wheels, so silver won't work. I thought about blue because my minor trim pieces are blue, but I don't want it to fade to baby blue.

(I'm assuming the high quality paint is the only real option other than buy new stock calipers.)

Now if you don't want to paint the calipers or don't want color advice, what was the actual question....?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-07-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Fucking fuck...

They're already fucking painted and I hate it. I didn't do it. Im not a caliper painter. I think its dumb.

Im just looking for options to fix the current horrible look. If I wanted color advice, I'd ask on... somewhere else.

WE (I) TOLD YOU THAT BLACK IS THE BEST THERMAL DISPERSANT.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:16 PM
White Devil
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Fucking fuck...

They're already fucking painted and I hate it. I didn't do it. Im not a caliper painter. I think its dumb.

Dude, fr srsly, calm down. I was only joking, not trolling, and I also said that black would be a good choice for them (of course, this was after the ghey shit).

Black.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Flite
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm going to remind you of your previous post:

Now if you don't want to paint the calipers or don't want color advice, what was the actual question....?
If they weren't already painted, this wouldn't be an issue. I want to paint them because they currently look stupid. My "technical question" is what option is the best caliper coating option? Epoxy style paint, spray paint, powder coat, etc etc?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM
travisnd
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

powdercoat /thread!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Flite
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by travisnd
powdercoat /thread!
Will powdercoat hold up to the temperatures generated by a heavily used brake caliper though?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Will powdercoat hold up to the temperatures generated by a heavily used brake caliper though?
Powdercoating holds up great on valve covers, so i can only assume your brake calipers will hold up as well, and fuck black/gold/red

go with grabber green
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Powdercoating is actually about the worst option you can do. It's a very thick plastic coating (compared to pretty much all paint options), and is the best thermal insulator out of all the listed options. So unless there is a type of powdercoat with a highly (thermally) conductive filler and not much resin, it's still going to have a pretty high thermal resistance compared to a normal layer of paint.

Really the best option for something like this is something that protects against corrosion and that's about it. Just putting a coat a paint on metal actually improves the heat dissipation over bare metal (bare metal is thermally reflective) so pretty much anything will work well as long it can handle the temperatures. AP Racing uses a PTFE (Teflon) paint on most of their calipers because it's about the highest temp paint out there that is decently solvent resistant. That's on their aftermarket stuff, I don't know what they use on their motorsport stuff (might be the same paint). Good luck getting your hands on some of that paint though.

Anyway, just use what makes you happy. An epoxy paint that is chip resistant and high temperature is going to hold up better than rattle can paint obviously, and is going to perform the same (close enough) for thermal dissipation, so just choose the type of paint you want and don't look back.

Just stay away from powdercoating unless the car is going to live the pampered life of a hard parker, which I know it isn't.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
Powdercoating holds up great on valve covers, so i can only assume your brake calipers will hold up as well
I think most normal powders are only good for 300-400 degrees under normal use, and decent brake fluid boils at ~400-575 degF, so I don't think that will be a good idea.
For a street car, no problem. Because of the occasional track use, I'd say not a good idea for both the temp and the insulative problems.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-08-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake caliper paint... (yes I'm serious)