Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

My Build..

Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Bumper Caddy
JDM Monkey Tuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy
Default Re: My Build..

so if i were to get a small cast manifold i would be able to make the same power that im looking for?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I don't see why not, the cast manifold Greddy turbo kits are getting good numbers with a tiny turbo on them. It really depends on the manifold though, some are crap and some are very nice. There are a lot of choices out there, just don't try to get something nice looking for cheap, like an SS Autochrome tubular manifold for sub-$200 or something like that.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Bumper Caddy
JDM Monkey Tuning

Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy

ttt
Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Bumper Caddy
JDM Monkey Tuning

ttt
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM
idrivetoys
Back in a TOYOTA

idrivetoys has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ntegra4lfe
yea i know im gonna upgrade the turbo eventually but dont have the money right now, and i kinda just like single cams for some reason and dont know much about b series so if i ran into problems i would have to go elsewhere instead of doin it myself

Ok this being your first build, doesnt mean you have to skate by with low end stuff, do it right the first time, save up a little more and get a quality unit or in a few months you will be buying and replacing again anyway.

JUST MHO

Fife
Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Ajax2029
Registered Member

Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029

Originally Posted by ntegra4lfe
ttt
Enough bumping, get to work.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Bumper Caddy
JDM Monkey Tuning

haha i cant get to work im waiting on a part for the motor to come in...
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Cast manifolds don't flow as much, and they aren't equal length like a good tubular manifold. They don't have problems with welds cracking due to thermal expansion though, which is the big killer of tubular manifolds. Heavy-walled mild steel tubular manifolds usually last a long time too, not as long as cast though. Cast manifolds have a lot of material, and it's all well connected, to

great advice... if your budget permits please do it right.

as a forward if you cut corners with prices and do the work yourself expect your first na-t conversion to not go well. my first time was a nightmare and i ended up in the red. if you rely on your car for work or school dont boost it yourself. theres a big difference between a DD and a project. be prepared to blow head gaskets and as a small token of advice learn how to read a spark plug.

for a budget turbo kit, i would suggest a cheaper cast manifold ebay version over the ssac equal lengths.... for one the tubulars dont fit well. they need to be gusseted at the head flange and need to be braced from the turbo flange to the head flange to avoid the inevitable cracking.... imo they are junk for someone who cant modify them or for someone that wants reliability. ( you must do this just to get it to work for any decent period of time....then it will still crack)

mild steel works great as long as your not running outragous egts. a schedule 40 mild steel manifold will last a lifetime if welded properly..... but its probably out of your budget...

id say go with a obx log. you can get one to your door for about 120 bux or cheaper.

as for ebay turbos...... ive had a few and honestly they are not bad. i mic'd both a garret vs. the chinese knock off center sections years ago. the ebay turbo was fine in comparison and on both sides the machine tolerances were suprisingly to zero. only concern was the fact that the centersection on the knock off had a grinded away turbonetics logo... lol. they probably bought or copied the design.

id suggest an internal wg t3 with a fmu for a budget build..... the fmu will be ok for a lowww boost budget build. youll need a wastegate block plate for the log mani. i havent seen an ebay turbo with an internal wg below 8psi tho. i think a safe boost level for a stock fuel system and a fmu is around 5 psi. a 12:1 fmu will work fine. if you go over 5 pound you should deffinately get tuned and use a hondata or chrome.

if you use a little common sense with the selection of parts and a little discretion you will be ok...

d series motors are suprisingly stout. so good luck and keep asking questions. im sure ill get some flak but whatever. ive dont it, had fun, and didnt go broke doin it.

be cautious with knock off wastegates. ive never used one and never will. i bought a knock off of the turbonetics evolution wg and the internals were rediculously crappy.

there are a few people in here that give great advice and alot that just dont know there ass from there elbows. fabrik8 seems to know alot and seems to give genuinly honestly and straight forward info.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
eclispegs2008
Registered Member

eclispegs2008 has disabled reputation

vitara build ftw, when you can make a 10 sec vitara for around 6k (seen it done) then theres no need for a b-series haha. I done a vitara build myself, check it out has many pics if it might help. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2333043 . Good luck with it
Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Bumper Caddy
JDM Monkey Tuning

haha thanks. yea i am looking into getting a cast manifold within the next few days and as for the fuel management i have and ecu chipped on chrome and i am going to get it dyno tuned on 13psi i think depending on what power i make. but i was putting my block togethr and i found out i lost my wrist pin locks...... so now im looking for a place thhat sells them.... they look like little "C" clips but i dont know what size so i dont know where to get them. and i am very nervous about it being my daily and me doing 905 of the work but i would rather do it myself and only have me to blame then look at a shop and be a little cry baby about them fixin it on there time. but thanks again all advice is appreciated

Quick Reply: My Build..