Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

March 9th VMSC autx at VMP

Old 02-22-2003, 11:21 PM
lightningd
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

due to your mods, you will be in ESP class. if you have street tires, you can add an 'X' to your class, and be in ESPX. (which means if you weren't novice) you'd be competing w/ ppl in other classes w/ street tires. the classes are balanced out using a PAX number. you'll learn more about that later. but anyways, since you are novice, you will only be "competing" with other novices.

main point. you are in ESP (ESPX if you want to run w/ ppl w/ street tires) and you are novice. The rest of the stuff you're learn as you go.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:54 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally posted by lightningd
main point. you are in ESP (ESPX if you want to run w/ ppl w/ street tires) and you are novice. The rest of the stuff you're learn as you go.
Ok I'm not really sure who this was addresses to but I don't even see a class called ESP or ESPX.

http://www.vmsc.org/autox/classing_table.pdf
Old 02-23-2003, 09:46 AM
FlimFlam
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

I was told last year that VMSC was getting rid of their "x" class??? I was told to not even bother even though im running on skinny ass 195 street tires and running DSP??? Guess i can change it when i get there if its a big deal. Im not planning on winning or even getting close to winning either so i guess it doesnt matter.

Anyone else hear that X was supposed to be faded out though? Cause i was told by two different VMSC tech guys at two different autoxs last season.

-Kevin
Old 02-23-2003, 10:26 AM
lightningd
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

Originally posted by eng
Ok I'm not really sure who this was addresses to but I don't even see a class called ESP or ESPX.

http://www.vmsc.org/autox/classing_table.pdf
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H are the letter that corresponds to what car you have (i.e. corvettes are in A, M3's are in B, Mustangs are in E). that chart you specified already assumes you know that.

now, you you qualify for Stock class, you add an S to the letter you already have. (i.e. if you have a stock vette, AS, if you have a stock accord HS)

if you qualify for Street Prepared, you add an SP to the letter you already have. (i.e. an M3 would be in BSP, a Mustang in ESP)

if you are running street tires you have the OPTION to run in a separate street tire class where you are competing w/ only street tire ppl. if you choose to do this, you can add an "X" to your class letters. thus an BSX, ESPX, HSX, ASPX, or whatever. i hope that clears some stuff up.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:03 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

i hope that clears some stuff up.
Yes, that was quite helpful. Although it appears you're not totally correct. Some cars are in different classes if they're in Stock or Street Prepared, my car being one of them. Stock it's GS, Street Prepared it's DSP.

Took me a bit of searching but I finally found a site that has the base letter (I guess that's what it's called, I just made that term up) of my car.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/index.html

But that's only good if you're in Stock or Street Prepared. What about the other categories? I have a feeling my car would be in one of the other ones.
FlodaXR4
I was told last year that VMSC was getting rid of their "x" class???
That's what their website says: http://www.vmsc.org/novice_class.html
Old 02-23-2003, 03:48 PM
60mm1.8t
slow ass vw

60mm1.8t is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't even list modified 1.8t's, I hope that's a mistake in my favor.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:28 PM
celicaKen

celicaKen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 60mm1.8t
They don't even list modified 1.8t's, I hope that's a mistake in my favor.
If you have modified your car, you will be placed in the appropriate class. The SCCA has spent years figuring out where to class each and every car ever produced (with 500 or more sold in the US).

If your car is pretty much stock with OEM sized wheels, you can be in a Stock class. If you have some mods, you might be put in a Street Prepared class or STS (Street Touring), or Street Mod.

If you have major mods, you'll probably go into a Prepared class. FYI, an F-Stock Mustang that has been modified a bit can go into E-Street-Prepared (ESP), so the letters are not always the same. I don't know why SCCA did this.

If you have 4 turbos, coilovers, ground effects, and a 2-foot-tall wing, you'll be placed in a Modified class with cars that will kick your butt into next week.

By the way, X-class is GONE. No more. I don't know why, but maybe it was just too much work to do the scoring. If you are new to autocrossing (less than 6 events I think), you can run in Novice class.

For numbers, bring 2 sheets of paper and some painters tape if you have it. You can write your number on each side that way. Of course, magnetic numbers are preferred, but not everyone has those yet. The numbers need to be visible from 100 feet away or so when you are speeding by at 60 mph. Actually, some people just draw the numbers using tape on each side of the car. Make the numbers 8" tall if possible.

Finally, don't worry about your mods or what class you are in. Go there, learn everything you can, and have fun. It takes a few autocross events to get any good at it, and it takes 2-5 years to get very good. The masters have been at it for over 10 years, and they can drive a POS and still beat almost any novice. Learn to drive smooth and you will get fast. Enough preaching. Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:29 PM
lightningd
co driver

Everyone on the Southside...

I will set the meet place around where 58 meets 460 over in suffolk (last time it was a gas station). It will be early b/c last time we got there kind of late. I'll mention the time later. I will have copies of maps of the way there. the drive there will be pretty relaxed, except for anyone that wants to get crazy in at a couple of stop lights in the country.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:47 AM
BLUE ICE
whats hood?

BLUE ICE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: March 9th VMSC autx at VMP

This is the official thread.

Registration opens 2/21/03.

www.vmsc.org

if you haven't been before, you have to go. it's worth the drive to race.
what do you have to do to just go watch?
Old 03-05-2003, 10:34 AM
wahoo5
FF Driver

wahoo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just show up. First car is usually off at noon when the races are at VMP as they are this Sunday.

David

Quick Reply: March 9th VMSC autx at VMP