Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

new to area and dont know any shops

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: new to area and dont know any shops

Originally Posted by QUICKTA
I bet I have fixed a couply from your area shops also

likely. most of the places up here dont even touch VW/Audi because of lack of tooling, knowledge, and/or parts. i was checking the other day, and about 20% of our business is from those two lines.

we do a decent amount, mainly TDi's. we have a couple of Vr6's come through, but thankfully those and Tourags are few and far between. mainly Jettas and Beetles, a decent amount of Golfs, and the occasional old Passat.

we can not help prices going up or down from VW,
i know. but it is rather shitty that VoA will immediately up the price of the same sensor by almost 100 clams in a two week period, which happened to coincide with them changing the policy of how they were replaced (i never actually saw it as a recall, but they did replace an aweful lot of them before that.

I now the touareg owner you talk about and it is hard to fix it when the vehicle want acted up,
intermittents are hard to diagnose, this i know. however.....given the resources they have, it would be easier to have someone drive it or get it to duplicate rather than shipping it.

the egr car was stopped up intake and we told them they need to clean the intake and may need a egr cooler(not a recall on that motor), they declined repair,
this one was not one with a clogged intake, it was cracked like they normally do.

we only replace water pumps with factory parts, I can not help if it still a plastic only that goes back in it,
Geba is the OE manufacturer, and has other lines. i dont know why they only do it with the plastic impeller for the OE boxed parts, but they are available if a long-lasting repair is wanted.

there was many brake light recalls and if we did it then it got a new one, I have had customers refused it,
can they refuse to have a mandatory safety recall done? that seems odd as shit to me

if you had oil on the steering wheel and the hood you should have come in and said something instead of complaining on the internet,
i did. it was brought in to be "detailed". oil smeared around, i got irritated due to the fact that the whole time i was there two salesmen tried to sell me yet another car.

I have replaced many vacuum lines for braking that was going to the booster, and many cars I tapped up and ordered and customers do not returned,
in case you havent done it before, there are other ways to fix that plastic. the tape works decent, but instead of keeping several different part number lines in stock, you can order the plastic line from McMaster Carr and repair them that way. or, an even more long-lasting method is using some silicone heater hose from a heavy truck shop. that shit works great, and will last forever.

the actuator you talk about on the turbo is the waste gate I guess and you can not get that by itself,
the VNT turbo on the TDi's does not have a wastegate, it relies on the variable ring to control the boost levels, it is also there to provide a faster spool on lower end power needs. the actuator is available separately, and if you want to know where to get them at, please PM me and i will give you a number to order them. 200 clams vs. 1400 clams.....

if there is or was a problem with service you can talk to me , then to talk about the dealer on the internet, when you only have half the story
PM me your contact info, and i will be glad to call you on the next one that comes in.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 09-14-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by VWDAVE88
im intrested as well who are you talking about when you say hacks in the vw shop

Originally Posted by MrKnives
Jerry Jerry Jerry!!!

i have a feeling this is gonna wind up interesting. two new members, just to post in this thread.

dont get butthurt. if i offended someone by stating the obvious, then i am sorry.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 09-14-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

VWDAVE88 is an unknown quantity at this point

FC735 i know. but it is rather shitty that VoA will immediately up the price of the same sensor by almost 100 clams in a two week period, which happened to coincide with them changing the policy of how they were replaced (i never actually saw it as a recall, but they did replace an aweful lot of them before that.

well vw controls the price on the parts that they eat in large numbers for example mass air flow meters and 2.0l o2 sensors and once they are out of warranty the price goes up to recoop some of thier losses thats business and that is something we have no control over you should know that

FC735 intermittents are hard to diagnose, this i know. however.....given the resources they have, it would be easier to have someone drive it or get it to duplicate rather than shipping it.

we drive every car hell i have driven some for days most issues like this are consided ghosts which are due to vehicle operating normally but in a way the customer doesnt understand

FC735 this one was not one with a clogged intake, it was cracked like they normally do.

the old tdi's before 04 did not have cracking egr cooler problems i have never replaced an egr cooler on an older tdi for cracking only clogging

FC735 Geba is the OE manufacturer, and has other lines. i dont know why they only do it with the plastic impeller for the OE boxed parts, but they are available if a long-lasting repair is wanted.

we use factory parts we are a DEALER not advance auto if you paid a dealer for a repair and had aftermarket parts on your car you would be pissed

FC735 can they refuse to have a mandatory safety recall done? that seems odd as shit to me

its your car you can refuse anything

FC735 i did. it was brought in to be "detailed". oil smeared around, i got irritated due to the fact that the whole time i was there two salesmen tried to sell me yet another car.

we have a complaint department use it

FC735 in case you havent done it before, there are other ways to fix that plastic. the tape works decent, but instead of keeping several different part number lines in stock, you can order the plastic line from McMaster Carr and repair them that way. or, an even more long-lasting method is using some silicone heater hose from a heavy truck shop. that shit works great, and will last forever.

and you call us hacks for ordering the proper part for the car using a silicone hose is not a very reliable and or safe long term repair
and back to the statment before this is a dealer we use factory parts

FC735 the VNT turbo on the TDi's does not have a wastegate, it relies on the variable ring to control the boost levels, it is also there to provide a faster spool on lower end power needs. the actuator is available separately, and if you want to know where to get them at, please PM me and i will give you a number to order them. 200 clams vs. 1400 clams.....

yes the tdi turbos are vein type and the turbo spool is dependent of the free movement of these fingers now when carbon builds up in the turbo it wont spool and we dont referbish turbo charges here we could if VWOA would give us parts to do it but its units or nothing our hands are tied on that subject i would rather fix them then replace them it pays more

Last edited by VWDAVE88; 09-14-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 AM
QUICKTA
Banned

QUICKTA is an unknown quantity at this point

you can order the plastic line from McMaster Carr and repair them that way. or, an even more long-lasting method is using some silicone heater hose from a heavy truck shop. that shit works great, and will last forever

who is the hack again
Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Heisdan
(GT4 Driver BWahah!)

Heisdan is an unknown quantity at this point

- Maybe he should work for volkswagen -
- He's so wise -

And wow you have hijacked this thread ..
... on a sidenote, Mr. Knives is the only hack in this shop ...

Last edited by Heisdan; 09-14-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 AM
sidewaysfox
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we can all agree that first team sucks .....
Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 AM
MrKnives
Registered Member

MrKnives has disabled reputation

Translation: With wisdom comes maturity

Hack Hack Hack!!

And back to the topic at hand (350z Window)
I think there was a service update on that...you should call your local
dealer and have them check....
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

Originally Posted by sidewaysfox
I think we can all agree that first team sucks .....
keep in mind he sells parts for hyundai
Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

we use factory parts we are a DEALER not advance auto if you paid a dealer for a repair and had aftermarket parts on your car you would be pissed
where did i say that pump i use is aftermarket? its the OE manufacturer! i guess since i install the 03+ pulley set on the older engines i am a hack also? and we must have pissed off customers cause i install Ruville tensioners and idlers? and they must really get irate when i use the gates belt, and a continental drive belt!

BTW, advance does not carry most of those parts. they are the maker of the ones that come in ya'lls grey boxes.

FC735 can they refuse to have a mandatory safety recall done? that seems odd as shit to me

its your car you can refuse anything
damn. i thought if it was in, the work had to be done. they must have some company policy allowing that, cause Ford wont let a car out without any form of recall work done. of course, it usually leaves with a CP flash also, but thats a standard item

and you call us hacks for ordering the proper part for the car using a silicone hose is not a very reliable and or safe long term repair
and back to the statment before this is a dealer we use factory parts
did i call you hacks for doing the appropriate repairs? no. in fact, this is what i posted:

Originally Posted by fc735
but apparently there have been some hacks in that shop. .
i dont know about you, but it appears that it was said that there HAVE BEEN some there. as to whether or not they are still there at said facility, is another story. i know of a few vehicles i have personally re-repaired that have come from down there, with various workmanship issues. my opinion as a tech, service manager, and shop owner is that if you dont have good workmanship (ie, cleaning up after yourself, making sure the vehicle is repaired correctly, has everything done neatly, tied back, etc) then you are a hack. or a gravy sucker. either way.

yes the tdi turbos are vein type and the turbo spool is dependent of the free movement of these fingers now when carbon builds up in the turbo it wont spool and we dont referbish turbo charges here we could if VWOA would give us parts to do it but its units or nothing our hands are tied on that subject i would rather fix them then replace them it pays more

very odd on that though. ford and international both are requiring their techs to do field cleaning on them, mainly due to the expense of replacement. granted, if it was a warranty repair, i would bet money they would rather have the techs clean and rebuild them!

on a side note: ya'll selling any Panzer plates? we have installed a few lately, and they are becoming a hot item up here. 3/16" plate aluminum, about 100 bucks less than an oil pan, and take the hit with minimal chance of pan breakage later down the road.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

FC735 where did i say that pump i use is aftermarket? its the OE manufacturer! i guess since i install the 03+ pulley set on the older engines i am a hack also? and we must have pissed off customers cause i install Ruville tensioners and idlers? and they must really get irate when i use the gates belt, and a continental drive belt!

you can install any parts ou like you are an aftermarket shop people dont expect factory parts and if the part doesnt come out of a VW box we cant use it unless the cust supplies it ill put on anything the cust brings to me

FC735 BTW, advance does not carry most of those parts. they are the maker of the ones that come in ya'lls grey boxes.

FC735 damn. i thought if it was in, the work had to be done. they must have some company policy allowing that, cause Ford wont let a car out without any form of recall work done. of course, it usually leaves with a CP flash also, but thats a standard item

FC735 did i call you hacks for doing the appropriate repairs? no. in fact, this is what i posted:

FC735 i dont know about you, but it appears that it was said that there HAVE BEEN some there. as to whether or not they are still there at said facility, is another story. i know of a few vehicles i have personally re-repaired that have come from down there, with various workmanship issues. my opinion as a tech, service manager, and shop owner is that if you dont have good workmanship (ie, cleaning up after yourself, making sure the vehicle is repaired correctly, has everything done neatly, tied back, etc) then you are a hack. or a gravy sucker. either way.

we try to nut and bolt everything we work on or at least i do people make mistakes its human nature and if you sit here and say you dont your a fool

FC735 very odd on that though. ford and international both are requiring their techs to do field cleaning on them, mainly due to the expense of replacement. granted, if it was a warranty repair, i would bet money they would rather have the techs clean and rebuild them!

your right its cheaper to clean then replace but then they have to retool and restock the parts houses with rebuild kits and we just dont have that big of a problem to justify that the carbon build up rarely makes it to the turbo if the cust neglects it for a while thats thier baby

FC735 on a side note: ya'll selling any Panzer plates? we have installed a few lately, and they are becoming a hot item up here. 3/16" plate aluminum, about 100 bucks less than an oil pan, and take the hit with minimal chance of pan breakage later down the road.

and yes i have installed the diesel geek panzer plate its a great design but like i said i cant sell them cust has to bring it to me and ask for it to be installed

Last edited by VWDAVE88; 09-14-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: new to area and dont know any shops