Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b18c valve cover ground holes

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
allmotorcrx
Home Wrecker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allmotorcrx has disabled reputation
Default Re: b18c valve cover ground holes

if you have an 8mm bolt greater in diameter than a 4ga wire, wow new shit.
And Justagsr hes a wiring genius.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Honestly, it sounds like you don't really understand what that ground point is for. It's really a local ground return path for ignition energy, and that's all it really needs to be. It isn't a high current return path for something like the starter motor, which is why Honda didn't see fit to use some massive ground cable routed directly back to the battery.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by allmotorcrx
if you have an 8mm bolt greater in diameter than a 4ga wire, wow new shit.
And Justagsr hes a wiring genius.
Seriously man, I'm done arguing this. 4 gauge wire is 5.2mm diameter (wait, isn't that less than 8mm...?), and if I remember correctly the stock B16A ground cable is actually 6 gauge (it's been about 7 years since I've owned a Honda).

Either way, 5.2mm is less than 8mm.

Edit: Nah, 6mm seems too small. Must be 4 gauge.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-10-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
JustaGSR18
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're doing the exact same thing using a head bolt, A/C bolt, power steering bolt, etc, like you were suggesting above. With any of those you still have an electrical interface between dissimilar metals, which isn't a reliable ground path. So the primary ground path is still through the stud or bolt. With the valve cover stud, it's a short bolt.

Also, the 8mm stud is larger than the cable that attaches to it. So you're trying to argue that a short stud that is larger than the ground cable is a poor grounding point.
What are you trying to say? not making sense.. either way you are still grounding through the head itself.. using a valvecover bolt your ground path goes through the valvecover, then through the cam cap bolt to, guess what the HEAD. and thats using a little stock 10gauge wire.. use a 4gauge wire from the frame to the power steering bolt or another point on the head directly and guess what, Still grounding through the HEAD!.. WOW who woulda guessed?? the difference is a more direct grounding point to the head rather than going through other "dissamalar metals" to get to ignition system/sensors. and all while using a larger diamater wire. What do you thing will work better??
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by JustaGSR18
What are you trying to say? not making sense.. either way you are still grounding through the head itself.. using a valvecover bolt your ground path goes through the valvecover, then through the cam cap bolt to, guess what the HEAD. and thats using a little stock 10gauge wire.. use a 4gauge wire from the frame to the power steering bolt or another point on the head directly and guess what, Still grounding through the HEAD!.. WOW who woulda guessed?? the difference is a more direct grounding point to the head rather than going through other "dissamalar metals" to get to ignition system/sensors. and all while using a larger diamater wire. What do you thing will work better??
I'm saying that it doesn't matter because it works the same, so this is a stupid argument. This started with the completely wrong "sorry guys but grounding the valve cover does absolutely nothing for you".

Fuck this is a dumb argument.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
allmotorcrx
Home Wrecker

allmotorcrx has disabled reputation

ohh man no ground

Last edited by allmotorcrx; 04-11-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Keep it clean, I'm going to start purging posts if this breaks down into threats and name calling.

Edit:

Too late..

Okay, keep it clean so I don't have to purge anything else.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
crasy87rexsi
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Well I was going to put some things to point out the obvious idiots here, but out of respect for this forum already being a breading ground for morons on computers I am just going to leave my 2 cents out. But anyways, just use the ground shown in the first pic, hell add more if you want the more grounds the better. Just make sure the grounding points are clean and good contact has been made with the body/engine/trans and the connections used on the grounding wire are just as good.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by crasy87rexsi
Well I was going to put some things to point out the obvious idiots here, but out of respect for this forum already being a breading ground for morons on computers I am just going to leave my 2 cents out. But anyways, just use the ground shown in the first pic, hell add more if you want the more grounds the better. Just make sure the grounding points are clean and good contact has been made with the body/engine/trans and the connections used on the grounding wire are just as good.

This is what i tried to say. fabrik8 answered op's question then the morons come in and tell him he is wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
JustaGSR18
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by captaininsano91
This is what i tried to say. fabrik8 answered op's question then the morons come in and tell him he is wrong.
LOL this is not what you were trying to say.. you were simply trying to be a smart ass and got shuned.

Quick Reply: b18c valve cover ground holes