Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Canada's Cannabis Car

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:46 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Canada's Cannabis Car

Originally Posted by iHeartTouge
I'm using as much fiberglass as possible on my 240z to offset the added of weight of bigger brakes, wheels, and drivetrain. If there was another lighter, cheaper material available, I'd use it.
Fiberglass and most resins used with fiberglass are really cheap; a lot of what you pay for is trimming and layup labor. So if you substitute a cheaper reinforcement material (instead of fiberglass), the price will only change a little bit because all the rest of the costs will stay largely the same. It actually helps if you're not buying aftermarket parts because aftermarket parts aren't made in high enough quantities to drive the materials price lower by volume.

Plus, most aftermarket fiberglass parts are made cheaply and are much thicker and heavier than they need to be because the materials and design are really shit quality. So that doesn't help your weight problem. Something like hemp is no different though. Cheap resins don't make parts that are nearly as strong as expensive resins do, so if you want light parts you either need to use expensive resins or make the parts not very strong.

Oh, and it's difficult to make composite parts with a Class-A finish using natural reinforcements from what I understand. There are apparently moisture issues and other things which interfere. That's OK though, because most aftermarket fiberglass parts don't usually have a Class-A finish either.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-25-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2010 | 05:52 PM
ShawnD
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Also something that they may not look into, there are not fields of synthetic fiber growing everywhere. How many acres will have to be grown instead of growing food or other more useful products? Growing one thing that has one use is never good.
Old 08-25-2010 | 05:58 PM
Reloaded
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by iHeartTouge
Lol. This is was about hemp use in auto manufacturing, not getting stoned. Hemp won't get you high. Weight and cost are also factors in this experiment. You turned this into an anti-marijuana debate. How about some quotes?

I'm using as much fiberglass as possible on my 240z to offset the added of weight of bigger brakes, wheels, and drivetrain. If there was another lighter, cheaper material available, I'd use it.

First person to respond with UMAD gets +rep.
Those Z fiberglass parts have awful fit.

Enjoy your spray molded crap until you hit a bump and it cracks.

I’d love to see you prove me wrong but I’ve never seen high quality aftermarket fiberglass body panels for a Z car. It's all chopped up and blown out with a gun rather than properly laid sheets.
Old 08-25-2010 | 06:28 PM
iHeartTouge
Registered Member

iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge

Yeah I know. They weren't made to have a car show quality, the owner of the shop that makes them told me himself.
If you're referring to the pictures in my build thread, the parts aren't secured. They're just sitting. I'm not going to try to prove you wrong, because you're not. Except for the hitting a bump and cracking, they're made with track use in mind.

www.betamotorsports.com
Old 08-25-2010 | 07:13 PM
yanko 15
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

Originally Posted by TwistnBrn..Rubr
The picture of the hotrod on there, the piece of shit looking green thing, is actually "the perfect hotrod" designed by Chip Foose. Sooo i have no idea why that picture's there.
the body is made of a hemp composite as opposed to fiberglass..
Old 08-25-2010 | 08:43 PM
White Devil
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEEEEEERP
It took two pages of posts before the "Cannibis Van" from "Up In Smoke" showed up here......

I am MAJOR DISAPPOINT.... peeps be slackin'........
Old 08-25-2010 | 11:39 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by TwistnBrn..Rubr
The picture of the hotrod on there, the piece of shit looking green thing, is actually "the perfect hotrod" designed by Chip Foose. Sooo i have no idea why that picture's there.
Originally Posted by yanko 15
the body is made of a hemp composite as opposed to fiberglass..
If that's the Foose car I think it is, the body is made of carbon fiber.
Old 08-26-2010 | 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Typical

Enthusiast Enthusiast

hmm pot car, eah?

Old 08-26-2010 | 10:26 AM
yanko 15
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If that's the Foose car I think it is, the body is made of carbon fiber.
you are correct sir..

so now i too am puzzled as why its in there

Last edited by yanko 15; 08-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 10:31 AM
MookHaasa
Registered Member

MookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud ofMookHaasa has much to be proud of

Hemp and Marijuana are the same plant.

Hemp is the name for it when used for industrial purposes.

Every other name refers to it being consumed by people.

My favorite use of Hemp thus far is Isochanvre.

You can make more than car parts with it. Fuel, Engine Lubricant, Interior fabrics, etc.

Prohibition needs to end so we can make tons of stuff out of it again. It has 50,000 commercial/industrial uses. Not to mention it produces one of the most nutritional seeds known to man.

Quick Reply: Canada's Cannabis Car