Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How did you get started?

Old 03-18-2012 | 03:58 AM
spicy_mchaggiz
Spicy! Spicy! Spicy!

spicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud ofspicy_mchaggiz has much to be proud of
Default Re: How did you get started?

I'll bite and be serious. 2 years vocational training in high school, 1 1/2 years college (GM ASEP) then combined 5-6 years of Sears, Chevy, Ford, Subaru, Jeep dealership experiences.
Old 03-18-2012 | 05:19 AM
Slooby
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

I'd have to say everything I've learned is from helping my dad and learning on my own. I'm by no means a master mechanic and I still learn new things every day. I use a lot of references if I'm unsure of how to do certain things weather it be forums, or write-ups online, or manuals. I took auto shop classes in highschool which was good because the teacher just let us bring our own cars/trucks in to do what ever we wanted to on plus all the shop trucks/cars/motors to tear into just to see how things work. When I either retire or get pushed out due to PTS or High Year 10 Year I'll go to some of the technical colleges just to get certified so I can open up my own shop.

The best way I know to learn is buy you a beater or something that needs repairs for cheap and teach yourself how to fix it.
Old 03-18-2012 | 07:05 AM
White Devil
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by Slooby
I'd have to say everything I've learned is from helping my dad and learning on my own. I'm by no means a master mechanic and I still learn new things every day. I use a lot of references if I'm unsure of how to do certain things weather it be forums, or write-ups online, or manuals. I took auto shop classes in highschool which was good because the teacher just let us bring our own cars/trucks in to do what ever we wanted to on plus all the shop trucks/cars/motors to tear into just to see how things work. When I either retire or get pushed out due to PTS or High Year 10 Year I'll go to some of the technical colleges just to get certified so I can open up my own shop.

The best way I know to learn is buy you a beater or something that needs repairs for cheap and teach yourself how to fix it.
Listen to this man. SERIOUSLY. This is a great way to get started, and in reality pretty much how I did (except for still taking delight in trashing HonDuhs....).
Old 03-20-2012 | 05:49 PM
RHSMIT
not ram my shit.

RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT RHSMIT

Originally Posted by 1slowxr4ti
The best way to learn cars is to work on cars. i took 2 years of TCC and didnt learn much in 2 years simply because it wa mostly books and paper not turning wrenches. get a junker and just start turning wrenches on it. go to school to get the certifiate but do not go expecting you will be a master mechanic when your done. experience is key.
QFT
I took two years at TNCC didnt learn much myself. I got a job as a low man on the totem pole type in a small shop. The master tech there took me under his wing and just took off from there.
Old 03-21-2012 | 03:52 AM
thenameskam
stupidity, no limits

thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam

Really about who you know sometimes, my girlfriend's dad is/was the #1 Mazda tech on the east coast, number 3 in the nation, he got me a job at Mazda and i learned a ton from there.
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:30 AM
RE-SPECGARAGE
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Try being a shop bitch for a little while and see if this is something you really want to do first. its not all magazine and time attack builds. Its a lot of hours spent away from fam/friends to make a few dollards. Some times the worst thing you can do is turn your hobby/passion into a job. Ask me how I know. Also experience comes from tearing into things and figuring stuff out. Things like the internet has made a lot of people successful by researching and building cars. You dont need 4 years of college to work on cars. If you eventually own a shop the only thing customers might care about is if you and your mechanics are ASE certified. Which to me means shit........Any person with patience and common sense can build a bad ass machine. Your name, work attitude, product, and good experience will keep people coming to you. Remember that it only takes one asshole to ruin a business online.

-Danny-
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:34 AM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

It came naturally...I live my life a quarter mile at a time
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:40 AM
RE-SPECGARAGE
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

only happens if you drive an FD
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:58 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Buy a garage first. Buy a DD. Then buy something you can tear apart, leave for awhile, come back to, an hope you are doing it right.
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:48 PM
gdupfromfeetup
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

Basically, you really have to have a general interest in cars to begin with. Anyone can stand around and listen to people talk about parts while someone else is working on a car, but it takes a certain person to want to get under the hood and learn piece by piece, slowly over a period of time.
I got started by riding in my uncles 57 Bel Air as a kid, and helping him do basic maintenance when I was young. He used to drive it in parades around my home town, and I would ride in the back and watch all the people stare and awe. I then realized, that I wanted to know why it was such a bad ass ride.

Sadly enough, that car was absolutely destroyed by a flood, along with his 67 Camaro with a Supercharged BBC

Quick Reply: How did you get started?