Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sr20det trouble i cant start

Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Rickysd
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rickysd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sr20det trouble i cant start

alright checked my cas and it was good but it looks like it was messed with it was cocked to one side more than the other and as for the ignitor it hasnt been checked no multimeter to use just yet. is the cas supposed to be as centered as possible?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Rickysd
Registered Member

and yeah i did unplug the maf with the battery installed does that matter?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 PM
BHFR-GTR
Owner of BHFR

BHFR-GTR has disabled reputation

hey whats up, this prob happens a lot when u get an imported engine. i have had three with the timing prob. but instead of the cas being to one side or another, if it was taken out and the motor rotated or many other ways. u have to actually set the ignition timing. u have to get the motor to top dead center and the cylinder closest to the front of the car needs to be on the compression stroke. now the best way to set the timing is take the valve cover off. and u need to take out the cas there will be two marks on the timing gear and a mark on the head. now what u do is. if u look at the marks on the gear. its two dots. u need to match the rightmost mark up with the mark on the head and when u push the cas in the hole the gear will turn and line the second hole up with that mark instead of the first one. now the ignition timing is set to starting specs. just make sure that the piston on the first cyl is at the top of the stroke on the compression stroke. this is what got most of the motors i have worked on started now it could numerous other things but it always seemed like it was always the timing ( now i always set this before i even set the motor in the car just to make sure ) if u have any other questions or that doesnt help pm me
Old 09-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Rickysd
Registered Member

alright i had been driving the car for awhile b4 the problem, than it started to get shitty. it started with the performance just bein horrible. it would take a couple of attempts to get the car started but it would start than as i would accelerate as soon as i got to 3 grand it would want to cut off. so i never saw past 3 after that i did all the tune up stuff found out if i unplugged the maf the car would start better. put in a new ecu while i was looking for a new maf. the car wouldnt start i put new ecu in and the car started again, same cut off problem. so i went outside the next day to start it and it hasnt turned over since. i got a new maf a sohc maf installed it but car wont turn over it turns just wont turn over. it was running fine then got shitty now wont turn over. got new maf and ecu installed and just wont turn over. havent checked ignitor and sure dont know if cas is good. need help cant take it to a shop because if i did someone else would get a mechanics lean sr20det. it ran fine b4 then i just cant explain it.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Cpt. Non-Spell
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

sounds like to need to replace the timing chain maybe.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by Uh_Dave
sounds like to need to replace the timing chain maybe.
Timing chain wouldn't have anything to do with being unable to start the car or limit the RPMs. When a timing chain is starting to get loose the engine is noticably louder (not to be confused with lifter tapping).
Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 AM
eugene
Ultra Smoke

eugene has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rickysd
alright i had been driving the car for awhile b4 the problem, than it started to get shitty. it started with the performance just bein horrible. it would take a couple of attempts to get the car started but it would start than as i would accelerate as soon as i got to 3 grand it would want to cut off. so i never saw past 3 after that i did all the tune up stuff found out if i unplugged the maf the car would start better. put in a new ecu while i was looking for a new maf. the car wouldnt start i put new ecu in and the car started again, same cut off problem. so i went outside the next day to start it and it hasnt turned over since. i got a new maf a sohc maf installed it but car wont turn over it turns just wont turn over. it was running fine then got shitty now wont turn over. got new maf and ecu installed and just wont turn over. havent checked ignitor and sure dont know if cas is good. need help cant take it to a shop because if i did someone else would get a mechanics lean sr20det. it ran fine b4 then i just cant explain it.
Sounds like you may have a leak in your intercooler piping. Check all couplers and make sure nothing has come off, or slightly loose. Just a little leak will cause the car to sputter, and a big leak will cause it not to start at all.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Rickysd
Registered Member

i went ahead and took all of it off and cleaned and repainted reinstalled and i am positive the piping wasnt the prob because it still wont start
Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Rickysd
Registered Member

alright i finally got it all tested and my ignitor is definately the problem so i am looking for one anyone have one for sell i need one yesterday. if any one can help i would really appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Rickysd
Registered Member

still need one asking to much on ebay. no local shops have any. any help please.

Quick Reply: Sr20det trouble i cant start