Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sub/Amp stereo Question

Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearhead2012 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sub/Amp stereo Question

I didn't think so, and couldn't see any reason why it would...but I never experianced that until I put the sysyem in this car. I didn't know if maybe it was some conspiracy in car audio I wasn't aware of - perhaps due to a faulty ground or something stupid and trivial like that. Oh well. next day I'm off I plan to redo all my grounds, and positive cables...and change the RCA's, and see if that helps. Although...recently I have been driving around with the subwoofer "off" in the head unit, so as not to cause problems. Today I went to turn them on, and they didn't come on...so, this will call for some investigation.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
aacjohnc
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

did you find out if they are duel 2 or 4 ? cause im runing 4 12inch kicker l5 duel 4 omhs in my hatch . now on your speakers you got to hook postive of one coil to neg on the other and so on for the ohm to drop right. just to let you know i can take pics if need. and yes the12volt.com is a wounderful site been usig it for yrs
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

Originally Posted by aacjohnc
did you find out if they are duel 2 or 4 ? cause im runing 4 12inch kicker l5 duel 4 omhs in my hatch . now on your speakers you got to hook postive of one coil to neg on the other and so on for the ohm to drop right. just to let you know i can take pics if need. and yes the12volt.com is a wounderful site been usig it for yrs
I haven't yet, been busy working. Tomorrow I'm going to try to take everything apart, and re-wire everything, and I mean everything. I'm going to also check on what the subs are wired to, and make sure nothing has come loose inside the box. I'm also going to change the RCA cable out while Im at it. Plus, I also need to wire up a set of tweeters. I'll update with what I find.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

Ok, I just pulled the subs out of the box, and they are dual 4 ohm...which is what I was leaning towards. They were wired up to 2 ohms, per sub, per channel. I wasn't running it bridged. I was thinking about bridging the amp into one channel, and then wiring both subs up together for a 4 ohm resistance. I'm afraid 8 will be too weak, and 2 may have been what was causing some clipping. I'm going to redo the RCA cables to the amp tomorrow, and wire up some tweeters, as long as I'm tearing into the dash...again. If that doesn't fix it, it's either an RCA port problem on either the amp or the deck, or a bad amp. I'm hoping for bad cables.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

why do it for a 4 ohm resistance?

what subs do you have exactly and what amp do you have exactly?

btw you can only wire your subs for a 16 ohm, 4 ohm, and 1 ohm for a final impedence

edit: wiring your sub down to whatever ohm wont cause it to clip. clipping is from the amp itself from the user trying to make it put out x amount of watts when it can only put out less than that thus making the amp send out a square sine wave

Last edited by dru; 03-15-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

I know setting the subs up can't make the amp clip...but turning the amp up too high while set at a low resistance can make them clip, right? The subs are a kicker 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil sub. I believe they are the comp vr...the round ones. and I can wire them up to 8 ohm...per sub, or 2 ohm per sub. http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2

I can also wire them together and get 4 ohms, for one channel...bridged.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2

And, the only reason I would do that is just to work the amp less. The amp btw is a Power Acoustik, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140047037295
It is rated to take 2 ohm stereo, and 4 ohm mono, which really woudn't be working it less...in fact it might heat it up...but it would hit harder, and it wouldn't hurt it. With a dual 4ohm, I can wire each channel up (set up as 2 channel, not bridged) to run at 2 ohms, or 8 ohms. 2 Channels combined would be a total of 4 or 16 ohms. What would you do...I listen to mostly rock, and would like crispness, but reliability.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

you can also wire them ALL TOGETHER for a 16 ohm final and a 1 ohm final load

after looking at your amp it doesnt say that its 1 ohm stable so you're better off wiring each channel to each sub it self. wire each sub in parallel to each channel bc the rms is 400 but you can only give em around 350ish. Power Acoustik is overrated a bit with their lower line amps so you can only expect so much. Make sure you follow the gain setting guide i gave you earlier. You shouldnt be hearing distortion or anything at all. Just set the gains properly and you'll be set.

You should purchase a DMM if you don't alreayd have one. I'd go tune it for you but I already went back to school sorry man.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

Ok, right now...the box is sitting in my room, with each sub wired up to 8 ohm, which would be 8 ohm per channel. I know this isn't going to be very loud...so I think I'm going to take them back out, and re-wire them to be bridged, at 4 ohm. The amp is 4 ohm stable bridged, and shouldn't have a problem...

What you were saying earlier, about wiring them all together for a 16, or a 1 ohm final impedance, that was definatly just running one channel, bridged right? Just to be sure. I used to have this old cheap sony setup...and the 400 watt amp had to work really hard to power a couple 10's. I thought about it, and decided to go with a much more powerful amp, so it wouldn't have to work as hard. Plus, I came accross a good deal on those kickers, and decided to go to 12's. At the time, I knew nothing about DVC, but I'm getting there. Everytime I turn around, there's another wiring option to learn about. I think running the one channel bridged is a pretty good choice for me, when they're wired to 4 ohms, together. Why do you say I should keep them wired to individual channals? And paralell would be + from amp, to the + terminal on each coil, right? and the - the exact same way. Oh, and...what is a DMM? If it's a multi-meter, I have one of those, but have never taken the time to check everything out, and see what my levels are.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Gearhead2012
'69 Mustang

Digital Mulit Meter...nevermind the last part of that post, I can be an idiot sometimes.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

wel if you wire them seperately they'll get a decent amount of power anyways. you can wire em seperately or together it'll make a hardly noticeable audible difference

Quick Reply: Sub/Amp stereo Question