Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Speeding ticket

Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 AM
nuke0907
Never Blend In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond reputenuke0907 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket

Originally Posted by DonVizMe
Any info on where i can get my speedo Calibrated?
Napa on Warwick and 55th street.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 AM
JamesPrelude
FUCK!

JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude

Most cars run about 3 mph slower than the speedometer, my gps tells me I'm running at a full 5 miles under, but I don't trust the accuracy of that thing. I know in my friends RX7 manual it says when you're going 20 your actually going 18. Also I hear most stock cars are off by 3-5% making mods to your wheel and tire size can increase that (Which also means the faster you're going the bigger the actual mph difference is). But that's just what I've read, I was interested in doing a cluster swap with an S2k. As for calibrations, I dunno, go to Pep-boys, I know they don't do it there, but they should be able to tell you who does.. hah
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The problem is that driving speed limit is not safe- drive 55mph on ANY highway, and you're going to cause an accident. Everyone speeds, everyone breaks the law, we're a culture of criminals on the road. If you pretend otherwise, you're kidding yourself. Driving 56 is no more legal than driving 80. If the state police have set a limit of "this speed is a safe and acceptable balance", I'd like to know it so I can maintain the speed they feel is safe and acceptable. Considering a trooper who patrols the stretch I drive everyday has posted in this thread, I figured it was a good time to ask.

I don't drive like an ass, and I don't drive at unsafe speeds. But every other year or so, I get a ticket for driving what's a reasonably safe speed (in this case, 70 on a 6-lane limited access freeway where that's right around the 85th percentile.) I don't fight it when I'm ticketed- I knew full well what I was doing and just suck it up and pay my road tax, but I still get pissed about getting ticketed for driving a reasonable and safe speed. For the record, I've set my cruise control at 65 after that ticket, so don't act like I'm trying to justify driving like a maniac. Yes, I'd prefer to cruise at 80-90 when traffic is light, but I can't afford that, so I stick to 65.

I'm curious about calibration, too- the speedo in my new car is reading 3mph faster than my wife's car at highway speeds, so one (or both) of them is wrong. Would be nice to know for sure.
It's impossible for me to answer that, as every officer or Trooper is different. Just because I start stopping/ writing at a certain speed doesn't mean it's going to be the same for every officer or Trooper. The older guys have less tolerance and start at slower speeds. I understand what you are asking, but it's not something I can answer with any accuracy. I have a complicated system for enforcing speed and it has a lot of factors. It would be a long post.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
3Point5SE
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
It's impossible for me to answer that, as every officer or Trooper is different. Just because I start stopping/ writing at a certain speed doesn't mean it's going to be the same for every officer or Trooper. The older guys have less tolerance and start at slower speeds. I understand what you are asking, but it's not something I can answer with any accuracy. I have a complicated system for enforcing speed and it has a lot of factors. It would be a long post.
go on and post, i think it'd be intresting to learn on a point of view from a state trooper.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
zelle
in another castle.

zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle zelle

Originally Posted by PT2131
go on and post, i think it'd be intresting to learn on a point of view from a state trooper.

+1

p.s. gotta love henrico county!! got my first ticket there on christmas day. <3
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
professorman
yard man

professorman has disabled reputation

I got stopped because I was looking for a business place to get some invitations printed, and the cop noticed that I was driving 10 MPH less than everyone else, even though I was in the slow lane looking for the business on a 4 lane road with a 45 MPH speed limit.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
DonVizMe
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nuke0907
Napa on Warwick and 55th street.
Thanks I might try them out tomorrow. Anyone Have any other suggestions?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by PT2131
Here you go, for your reading pleasure or displeasure. I stay in the 77mph+ range almost all of the time if I can stay busy. I don't go slower unless I'm bored.

Disclaimer: Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter to me. I don't tell people how to do their jobs and don't expect people to tell me how to do mine.

77mph and faster: Open door policy, I open my door and you get paper.

73-76mph: there’s a small chance for a warning if everything is perfect. (you have your license and registration, everything is current and up to date, positive point balance on your DMV transcript, polite and you don’t put me out in traffic by stopping so close to the right lane that I’m going to get run over).

68-72mph: Acknowledge the fact that I’m there by pressing the brakes or slowing down, and we’ll never meet. Drive by without checking up and I’ll make sure you see me. Good chance of a warning.

There’s a few exceptions.

You could come by at 68-72 and check up but if you drive a POS car that appears to be unsafe, I’m going to stop you. If everything is ok, you’ll be on your way with a warning. POS cars tend to have suspended drivers, expired tags, equipment violations and expired inspection stickers.

68-76mph: No warning if..

You have alcohol on your breath.

You say “Why you stopping me?” “Whats the problem?” “Don’t you have real criminals to catch” “Don’t you have something better to do?” “You must be bored” before I have the chance to request your drivers license and registration.

Your license is suspended.

Pull the race card.

You are on the phone and give me, the “wait one minute” hand signal. You just started the 15 minute waiting period. I’ll return to my car and make a phone call of my own. I usually call my college friend who is a Trooper in NC or my room mate from the VSP academy who works Stafford County.

You drive by with your windows up with 5% tint. You see me and roll your windows down in the dead of winter and it’s like 12 degrees out. All of the sudden it’s hot in your car? Same applies in the summer. What? All of a sudden you want the 90% humidity in your car?

Any lane change/maneuver to try and lose me in traffic or off the next exit.

You can’t produce a drivers license or ID card. This triggers the road side state inspection. I’ll write every violation on the car if I have a hard time identifying you.
I catch you in a lie. “I left my drivers license at home” I go onto to find out you are suspended with notice. Road side state inspection time.

Hot chick….paper everytime. They have made it though life on looks long enough. Plus, I’m waiting for one to say something like” I thought hot chicks get warnings” so I can say “They do, but I need you to sign here”.

Any woman that says “I’ll do whatever it takes, just don’t write me a ticket/ arrest me” I’ll play innocent and naive like I don’t know what they are talking about, just to see if I can get them to actually say it. Then when they do….”Oh, You need some self respect,your mom wouldn’t be proud’.

Any chick that shows her “goods”….paper everytime.

Anyone who tries to tell me what I can’t do.

I’m sure someone will think this is BS, they can either drive the speed limit or stay off my interstate. In all honesty, speeding tickets bore me, but it’s an easy way to get involved in other stuff like drunk drivers, interdiction (money and drugs), stolen cars,
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
slo-4dr
Registered Member

slo-4dr has disabled reputation

I think all that sounds perfectly fair and reasonable.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Thanks, Smokey! Appreciate your candidness Sounds reasonable to me, too.

If you see me, wave! I'll be the one in the silver Boxster S driving exactly 67mph

Oh, question about seatbelts. Last time I was stopped, I unbuckled, pulled out my wallet to pull out my license and registration, then realized "oh shit" and quickly buckled back up. I don't know if the trooper saw me unbuckle or buckle, but there was certainly no nonsense or greetings when he walked up and informed me I was doing 70 in a 55 and getting a ticket. My wife says she was nearly cited for the seatbelt law for the same reason. What's the best thing to do here?

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket