Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Battery / Wiring / Alternator problem

Old 12-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Jarrod
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Battery / Wiring / Alternator problem

Originally Posted by C Ory
Chris, is this "THE" civic? The one that the wiring was all jacked up to begin with?
It's a new shell.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM
word itz chris
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
I had a similar problem, when my rear defrost wire was pinched it was grounding out against the body, causing some very odd stuff to happen.

Like when I had any kind of load on the alternator the tester said "replace alterantor, no voltage" replaced it...still sucked. It was also draining my battery within a hour of it sitting and it was wanting to cut off at stop lights. You could have a pinched wire somewhere as well? Get a multimeter and see if it has any current draw that it isn't suppose to have.

It could be the stupidest, smallest problem causing such a big one. Good luck.
Im certain its something small and dumb, because thats my luck with cars. I havent had a reliable one yet, and every one of them has had wiring issues. I fucking hate this shit.

And I wish I knew Fabrik8, so I could just call him and shit. He sounds nifty with electrical things, which, oddly enough, I know nothing about.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by word itz chris
Im certain its something small and dumb, because thats my luck with cars. I havent had a reliable one yet, and every one of them has had wiring issues. I fucking hate this shit.
That's one of the problems with older Honda's. Haha. Have you taken a multi-meter to it yet?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
word itz chris
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
That's one of the problems with older Honda's. Haha. Have you taken a multi-meter to it yet?
As soon as a friend of mine calls me back, I can get his. Only problem with this is, he never calls me back.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM
CHAHONDA
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

im right down the street from what i under stand.... and i have a multi meter! and a battery charger....and extra batteries....... and im smart as fuck......and i like beer!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
im right down the street from what i under stand.... and i have a multi meter! and a battery charger....and extra batteries....... and im smart as fuck......and i like beer!
If you accept beer as a payment. We can arrange.
Fer serious. Any extra help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Victum
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

haha
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
word itz chris
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

Originally Posted by Victum
haha
I hate you. haha.

For those helping, its getting 11.5V at the alternator while the car is running. Its getting 11.7V at the fuse box, and the same at the battery. What the fuck is wrongggggggggggggg.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

I hate you. haha.

For those helping, its getting 11.5V at the alternator while the car is running. Its getting 11.7V at the fuse box, and the same at the battery. What the fuck is wrongggggggggggggg.
That isn't enough.

Turn the car off and see how many amps are being drawn. It should be very very little.

If you do have a mega draw, start pulling fuses one by one and see the voltage drop and which ever fuse you pulled look for things on that possible circuit.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

And I wish I knew Fabrik8, so I could just call him and shit. He sounds nifty with electrical things, which, oddly enough, I know nothing about.
Professional electronics tech for a long time, now I work for an ECU manufacturer. I live in Colorado now, so I can't come down and troubleshoot.

This should be fairly easy to track down though, you should see right at the alternator output connection whether you have voltage coming out, and if you do it's obviously not getting to the battery, so check the wiring.

Quick Reply: Battery / Wiring / Alternator problem