Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo port&polish

Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: turbo port&polish

Originally Posted by cheesebox
porting is ALWAYS good. if you have the money port the shit out of it, more flow is a good thing. more intake flow = more exhaust flow = faster spoolup.
That's great advice. Make everything really big, so there isn't enough intake flow velocity and then the cylinder filling goes to shit and the engine becomes a dog. And it hurts the most before the turbo is spooled, because the intake air isn't pressurized so the lack of proper cylinder filling makes the turbo spool slower. Ideally you'd want small, high velocity ports to help spool, and then increasingly larger port size as the demand for flow goes up.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
brandon.beene
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I wish I had graphs to show you gains but I don't.

And 30whp isn't hard to gain from a turbo setup.
NA yes.

It depends on his power levels. On cars making 600 horsepower(with stock valves mind you) there have been major gains from changing heads.

Simple answer to the OP, turn up the boost a couple more PSI. It's not worth it.
I like what your saying lol turn the boost up, I have a full build Gsr all skunk2 parts in the head with the exception of a throttle body and a PnP for whoever said get new valves and build the head, Its already built, i have been told so many times not to waste with changing it because the air is forced in, and i have been told so many times to get it done because it cant hurt it only make it better. Its a little costly to get a good PnP but I am pretty sure i am going to get it done, Just have to save up the money or wait till tax returns. anyways once again thanks for all the great info.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 AM
83Stang5.0
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Originally Posted by weldmatic
do you think you could get 30hp just from a pnp??? or going gsr to type r..... my opinion is prolly not.

you gotta agree the money hell spend for the pnp and parts and labor could be better spent on valvetrain with a new tune.
Look you ignorant fuck, I'm even agreeing with you here, but you missed the main point.

He asked a question, we answered his question truthfully and opinionated. Then you start runnin your mouth because we didn't say "Ayo you stupid d00, go get some new pistons or vtec junk yo!".

Its not about whether or not there is a better place to put the money, he asked 2 simple questions and got solid answers.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's great advice. Make everything really big, so there isn't enough intake flow velocity and then the cylinder filling goes to shit and the engine becomes a dog. And it hurts the most before the turbo is spooled, because the intake air isn't pressurized so the lack of proper cylinder filling makes the turbo spool slower. Ideally you'd want small, high velocity ports to help spool, and then increasingly larger port size as the demand for flow goes up.
I hate you.

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
I like what your saying lol turn the boost up, I have a full build Gsr all skunk2 parts in the head with the exception of a throttle body and a PnP for whoever said get new valves and build the head, Its already built, i have been told so many times not to waste with changing it because the air is forced in, and i have been told so many times to get it done because it cant hurt it only make it better. Its a little costly to get a good PnP but I am pretty sure i am going to get it done, Just have to save up the money or wait till tax returns. anyways once again thanks for all the great info.
You keep saying it's built so I figure why not. How much power are you making currently and on what boost level and turbo?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
brandon.beene
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I hate you.

You keep saying it's built so I figure why not. How much power are you making currently and on what boost level and turbo?

A true magician never reveals his secrets. Lol
i just dont like telling people that i dont know. if i went around and told everybody my Civic was pushing a little over 600hp i wouldnt have it very long before somebody stole it. Not to sound rude or anything but its bad enough i already gave away what i did, but somethings you cant help but to say when your asking performance questions, ... I hope you can understand.

Last edited by brandon.beene; 12-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
In my opinion,

I wouldn't get an ITR head. You'll be spending a lot of money for a mild port and polish (the P&P on the ITR head isn't much) If your going to send your head somewhere to get ported, RLZ does fantastic work. But, I can't tell you how many stock top ends I've seen making ridiculous horsepower. I'd spend the money else where first. But, that is just my opinion.
And a great opinion. Porting and Polishing (P&P) have become such a trend, that often times it's not necessary for the individuals setup. I know, I'm certain many of those offering such services will disagree. However, the fact remains, there are often times many more things someone can do before spending the money into a P&P. For instance, are you running a full 3" exhaust? Open down pipe perhaps? Do you have an "ATI" or "Fluidampr" damper? No? Why not? See, if your engine is "fully built", suffice to say you have at least $4-5k tied up in the engine alone, if not more. Lay down the $300 to protect this engine, especially if you have Eagle rods (which imo don't quantify a "fully built" no offense to those reading), as crankshaft harmonics are quite the bitch and I've seen more cases of spun rod bearings from those running Eagle rods than say, Pauter, Manley, etc.

Give us some idea of your setup, from valve cover to oil pan to muffler tip for better recommendations of where to spend your money.

Fabrik8 pretty much summed things up in the thread, however; I gave the above response because I do care. I cared when I was a shop owner and I care now. If you have money growing on a tree though, shit, go for whatever your hearts content.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 PM
DeFunk
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
Damn it, the entire thread didn't show up until after I had made my post and the thread refreshed, for some reason, didn't see this post.

3 angle or 5 angle on the valves? Either way, my above post stands, in that it's difficult to know without knowing the entire build and a dyno sheet whether or not you would benefit (or rather, need) a P&P.

Would a properly P&P head give gains, sure... could it be the least expensive upgrade for a better torque curve (dyno queens are nice, though torque curve is where its at), dunno.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 PM
brandon.beene
Registered Member

say i did have myself some eagle rods but not a ATI" or "Fluidampr would that be something i need to look into getting soon? and the 3 or 5 angle would have to be something i would have to discuss with the guy doing the PnP and see which one would best fit my set-up.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

A Dampener would def be something you want. It'll reduce the vibrations throughout the crankshaft greatly.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:48 AM
brandon.beene
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
A Dampener would def be something you want. It'll reduce the vibrations throughout the crankshaft greatly.
I will do my research and then that is going to be first on the list,

Quick Reply: turbo port&polish