Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

High Comp B16 won't fire.....

Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 AM
kyle h.
fraggle rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kyle h. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: High Comp B16 won't fire.....

so when you say you swaped out the DSM injectors for 'stock' injectors. Are you talking about stock obd1 or obd0 injectors?

DSM and stock obd0 injectors are low impedance (resistors needed), obd1 and 2 injectors are high impedance (no resistors needed).

You traced the injector wires on the manifold to the obd1 ecu pin outs? That's the easiest way to make sure you have the multiport setup correctly, IMO.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by kyle h.
so when you say you swaped out the DSM injectors for 'stock' injectors. Are you talking about stock obd1 or obd0 injectors?

DSM and stock obd0 injectors are low impedance (resistors needed), obd1 and 2 injectors are high impedance (no resistors needed).

You traced the injector wires on the manifold to the obd1 ecu pin outs? That's the easiest way to make sure you have the multiport setup correctly, IMO.

Back when the car was OBD0, yes. I traced everything out with the person who helped me do the wiring before it went in the car, and the car ran in OBD0.....well in limp mode, but it ran lol

From what I was told by Hybrid Garage, the "stock" injectors that I've been referring to are supposed to be OBD0 LS 240cc injectors. I was told prior that I could continue to run these OBD0 injectors on an OBD1 setup, as long as I left the resistor box wired in. Is this correct?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
The_rabbit1
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WRXWGN2NR
When I pulled the cap nut from the end of the fuel rail to change the injectors, fuel sprayed everywhere. So as for fuel pressure, CHECK. The ecu is a chipped PO6, done by Shawn Ramey from RameyBuilt. It is chipped with a 12:1 compression basemap, with O2 sensors deleted and vtec chipped in. The head gasket is brand new, and I'm not a complete dummy when it comes to this stuff, but I can't forsee something going wrong in terms of gaskets/seals. Who knows though. When I checked, two of the four injector clips are getting pulse - I check them with a noid light. As for the other two, I did not check. If two out the four injectors were firing, it would still attempt to start at the least, and then I would have a misfire condition. But in this case, I just cant get it to start at all.

Thanks for all the input. What do you guys think?
*hits head into desk

cause fuel sprayed everywhere it means you have enough fuel pressure? they make calibrated gauges, have yet to see someone's calibrated finger on a test fitting able to give a psi reading.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
kyle h.
fraggle rock

kyle h. will become famous soon enough

From what I was told by Hybrid Garage, the "stock" injectors that I've been referring to are supposed to be OBD0 LS 240cc injectors. I was told prior that I could continue to run these OBD0 injectors on an OBD1 setup, as long as I left the resistor box wired in. Is this correct?
That's correct. Although, from memory, OBD1 and OBD0 injectors look very similar.

Are you getting a constant CEL?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by kyle h.
That's correct. Although, from memory, OBD1 and OBD0 injectors look very similar.

Are you getting a constant CEL?
Surprisingly, not that I recall. I believe its not on at all, actually, but I could be wrong. I'll check tomorrow.

And as for the inability of "my finger to take an accurate PSI reading", I concur. I did, however, anticipate someone questioning as to whether my fuel pump was working or not. If fuel sprays out of the fuel rail when removing that nut, then guess what - the fuel pump is working, at least somewhat. Perhaps not to it's full potential, but its pumping fuel.

As for determining the fuel pressure, I will use the aforementioned guage to do so tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, everybody!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
The_rabbit1
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Surprisingly, not that I recall. I believe its not on at all, actually, but I could be wrong. I'll check tomorrow.

And as for the inability of "my finger to take an accurate PSI reading", I concur. I did, however, anticipate someone questioning as to whether my fuel pump was working or not. If fuel sprays out of the fuel rail when removing that nut, then guess what - the fuel pump is working, at least somewhat. Perhaps not to it's full potential, but its pumping fuel.

As for determining the fuel pressure, I will use the aforementioned guage to do so tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, everybody!
and if it runs low psi it can fail to fire
Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Poizuned Honda
Bringin Dwn the Rice

Poizuned Honda has disabled reputation

have you thought about a new fuel pump
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
and if it runs low psi it can fail to fire
True, but the car ran shortly after I determined that the ECU was the cause of it not firing.

Originally Posted by Poizuned Honda
have you thought about a new fuel pump
Glad I didn't!! LOL Thanks for the input everyone.

As for an update, I'm actually running the car right now off of an OBD1 Distributor and an OBD0 ECU. Runs pretty well(for being in limp mode haha). Either way, need to determine whats wrong with this OBD1 ECU to cause it not to fire the injectors.