Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Miata - lining engine up -help needed

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
JETSWU87
OM NOM NOM E30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87
Default Re: Miata - lining engine up -help needed

are the motor mounts hitting?

when we did it, we had a jack under the tranny, got the shaft in...then lowered the jack down a little at a time as the gap closed.....started a few bolts, and that was that.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Vanilla Face
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

yeah, motor mounts are hitting as well. was thinking about bolting them to the car instead of the engine, but I might have stipped a hole, and i dont want to take it out to find out haha.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Vanilla Face
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

Also, i did the jack under the tranny all day.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
JETSWU87
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

Originally Posted by Anon
yeah, motor mounts are hitting as well. was thinking about bolting them to the car instead of the engine, but I might have stipped a hole, and i dont want to take it out to find out haha.
lol, well when i took the 1.8 out of the donor car, i found it was easier with one mount off to remove.

just remove one of them should give you some more side to side wiggle room. you can always bolt it back on, just jack the motor up.

If your set on removing tranny i assume you are going to take the tranny out and bolt it to the motor, then drop the entire setup in?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Vanilla Face
face is vanilla

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
lol, well when i took the 1.8 out of the donor car, i found it was easier with one mount off to remove.

just remove one of them should give you some more side to side wiggle room. you can always bolt it back on, just jack the motor up.

If your set on removing tranny i assume you are going to take the tranny out and bolt it to the motor, then drop the entire setup in?
yes on the dropping together.

I might give it 20-30 minutes without the mounts before I pull the tranny.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
FairladyZTT
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

I would check a couple different things before pulling the trans. First is the clutch allignment. I had a Mercury Capri XR2... it had the 1.6 turbo motor (B6T). The spine allignment tool would alwasy be able to be crooked just a little and the trans would not go on at all.. I would make sure that it is perfectly straight.

Second. I was doing a clutch in an S2000 and you had to damn near remove the motor to get the trans out. (really shitty design!!!) Anyways. I removed the motor mounts and dropped the motor down to pull the trans.

When I was putting the trans back on the motor. There was a slight angle difference. I almost didn't catch it at first. But the engine was level and the trans was angled up just a little bit. I ended up, picking up on the nose of the engine about 2-4 inches and the trans slid right no.

So.. Long story short. I would suggest the clutch spine allignment and make sure that the engine and trans are at the same angle.