Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Like a zip tie but easy to remove?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Like a zip tie but easy to remove?

Originally Posted by ryanherington
Were you trying to pull the tab up with the tip of the knife so you could pull the long end out instead of just cutting it?
That's what I normally do, though this time I gave up and went to cut it...I need to sharpen my pocket knife....
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why are you reusing zip ties?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Why are you reusing zip ties?
I thought that's what people did with them
Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 PM
kadafiz
Registered member

kadafiz has disabled reputation

hmm.. i actually have zip tied some lines together and never cut them.. i guess u need some technique and improvision ..
Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
iHeartTouge
Registered Member

iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge

i never reuse. i just cut them all, its like ten bucks for 500 so why not
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by kadafiz
hmm.. i actually have zip tied some lines together and never cut them.. i guess u need some technique and improvision ..

When you do a few thousand zip ties a year, using something like a razor is reckless and asking for trouble. Harnesses that cost thousands of dollars aren't worth risking because you're too stubborn to use the proper tools, and I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that. I just like to use the proper tools for the job, not whatever is kicking around the toolbox that might possibly work if you're really careful and don't need to do it very often.

Let me put it this way: If you did this stuff for a living, like I've done, and someone saw you using a razor to cut a zip tie on a harness, you'd probably be fired. Doing something that stupid means that you're willing to waste lots of man hours repairing or replacing the harness that you could have damaged because you don't know/care enough to use proper tools.

Your car is your business, so I really don't care, but I'm not sure why you're actually arguing that a razor is a good idea.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-04-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I thought that's what people did with them
No foo! Thats why they come in bulk...

When you do a few thousand zip ties a year, using something like a razor is reckless and asking for trouble. Harnesses that cost thousands of dollars aren't worth risking because you're too stubborn to use the proper tools, and I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that. I just like to use the proper tools for the job, not whatever is kicking around the toolbox that might possibly work if you're really careful and don't need to do it very often.

Let me put it this way: If you did this stuff for a living, like I've done, and someone saw you using a razor to cut a zip tie on a harness, you'd probably be fired. Doing something that stupid means that you're willing to waste lots of man hours repairing or replacing the harness that you could have damaged because you don't know/care enough to use proper tools.

Your car is your business, so I really don't care, but I'm not sure why you're actually arguing that a razor is a good idea.
B/c not everyone has 10k in tools like some of us... Nor care to use the proper tools... He seems like the type of guy that'd use a cresent wrench or pipe wrench on somethin he didn't have the proper socket for...
Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
No foo! Thats why they come in bulk...

B/c not everyone has 10k in tools like some of us... Nor care to use the proper tools... He seems like the type of guy that'd use a cresent wrench or pipe wrench on somethin he didn't have the proper socket for...
Spend $10 on a pair of wire cutters. Problem solved.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

My issue with not always having the right tools is I refuse to buy tools made in China (or some other country with similarly non-existent labor laws and quality control). There is a local car parts store that sells some KD and SK, but other than that I'm left with ordering online as far as I can tell. I hate spending half as much on shipping as I spent on the tool, so I typically wait until I have a long list (I don't care for Snap-On, just a personal preference, and there's nobody local with Hazet/Knipex/Wiha/Felo/Beta/Stahlwille that I know of)

For the record, I didn't use a razor but a pocketknife with a wide back to the blade. I wedge the tip of the blade in there with the back towards the wires - this means the wires don't get cut...it also means that if the zip tie splits suddenly I...scratch my valve cover.

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Spend $10 on a pair of wire cutters. Problem solved.
I don't buy junk... But in his case, hes better off running down to Wally world and pickin up some Stanleys...

Quick Reply: Like a zip tie but easy to remove?