Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: which car?
2008 bmw 335i, CPO with 8k miles
27.12%
2005 audi s4
17.80%
2005 bmw m3 competition package (smg gearbox)
29.66%
2010 camaro ss
15.25%
other
10.17%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

another 'what car should i get' poll

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 AM
terrible advice
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
terrible advice has disabled reputation
Default Re: another 'what car should i get' poll

E90=sedan
E92=coupe

The coupe is so much better looking than the non-LCI sedan, IMO.

you really need to drive a 335 to understand. the levels of refinery while maintaining a healthy dose of performance are almost unreal.
they do have some issues with HPFPs and electronic gremlins, but every BMW has those.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 AM
3Point5SE
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Originally Posted by blackout
definitely, 100% agreed. i've grown far past the 'tuner' (read- ricer) stage, that's why there are no japanese cars on this list. not that they're bad cars, but they're not what i'm looking for. not even infiniti or lexus, although i do like the g37 and isf. not my bag though.

the only reason the camaro's there is because i've always loved muscle cars, and it seems like chevy put together a fine product. but i'm definitely in the 'luxury sports car' market- preferably german.
I never found what the big deal about the Japanese tuner thing also, other than you can tune your cars for cheap. I believe in quality over quantity and you won't find that in a lot of Japanese cars. I know I drive a Japanese car now, but I drive it because I'm 19 and it's within my budget and reliable (which most Japanese cars are). If I had the extra money I would rather sit in a car that is comfortable and doesn't feel like plastic over a piece of crap that goes fast. That's only if my budget allows it though.

Also my Vote is the E92 335i.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
sea6speed
Registered Member

sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed

Originally Posted by blackout
maybe buy the s5 that i really want but can't justify the expense right now as i'm prepping for buying a house.
LOL, I just saw this. Dumping $35K on a car - either all at once or via monthly payment is probably one of the worst ways to prep for buying a house. Unless you already have a lot of cash on hand. Right now there's really no good financing available if you don't have at least 10% to put down - if you have your 10 (preferably 20%) already saved, ignore this and get the 335i.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Corey
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

1. I voted S4. They're great cars. Everything you've said is spot on. You should look for the Top Gear review where they drove the B6 S4 (what you're looking at) and the E46 M3.

2. Why are you hell bent on the Comp package? The wheels are inexpensive to buy. The steering wheel loses it's controls. I just don't see the value there. I'd rather the non-comp package honestly.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

If you're truly "prepping to buy a house" then you need to not buy a car.... houses are expensive. Then you get them and you have to pay insurance, adn then you'll want to redecorate, and then the AC will take a shit on you, and then you'll realize you have to buy 100 different things you never thought of.

I'd buy the house and see how it goes then buy a new car if you can still afford it.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
MICK LVN

MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
If you're truly "prepping to buy a house" then you need to not buy a car.... houses are expensive. Then you get them and you have to pay insurance, adn then you'll want to redecorate, and then the AC will take a shit on you, and then you'll realize you have to buy 100 different things you never thought of.

I'd buy the house and see how it goes then buy a new car if you can still afford it.
this, and M3 if you must.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Iroc-Boost
Cock chugginton

Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost

The reason i have yet to buy a house. My rent is dumb cheap and I'm still modding my mullet.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by itsoverton
E90=sedan
E92=coupe

you really need to drive a 335 to understand. the levels of refinery while maintaining a healthy dose of performance are almost unreal.
they do have some issues with HPFPs and electronic gremlins, but every BMW has those.
yeah it's a coupe, and i did drive one. i liked it more than the camaro, and more than an e46 m3.

Originally Posted by 3Point5SE
I never found what the big deal about the Japanese tuner thing also, other than you can tune your cars for cheap. I believe in quality over quantity and you won't find that in a lot of Japanese cars. I know I drive a Japanese car now, but I drive it because I'm 19 and it's within my budget and reliable (which most Japanese cars are). If I had the extra money I would rather sit in a car that is comfortable and doesn't feel like plastic over a piece of crap that goes fast. That's only if my budget allows it though.

Also my Vote is the E92 335i.
and when i was at that stage in my life, that was perfect for me as well. i remember when i couldn't give two shits about an interior- as long as the driver's seat was there all the time any additional seats/panels were optional. not the case anymore. it's kind of weird how the exterior styling appeal shifts too... i used to lust over a clean, dropped (dare i say kitted out? ) s13 240, now they're just boring. a stock 335 or m3 does it for me just fine. complete 180 from how i was 10 years ago.

i should have clarified... by 'prepping', i mean cleaning myself completely out of debt (besides cars) so i can comfortably afford a probably idiotically expensive house in a couple years. i'm perfectly comfortable renting for the next year+ while the market sorts itself out... these cars fit into my budget, believe it or not- a $55k s5 does not. my thought process is i can deal with a monthly payment that i know is coming each and every month; i'm completely over coughing up hundreds of dollars unexpectedly for repairs when shit breaks. i want a newer car with a warranty, that i'll enjoy for a few years. plus, with the bike being gone, that frees up a significant amount i was spending on that every month that can go into upgrading a car without really noticing the financial difference.

anyway, i have thought this through.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
MissmyE30
Vatican Assassin

MissmyE30 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by itsoverton
E90=sedan
E92=coupe

Lol. No, they don't.

Is this going to be a DD? If so get the 335. I'd only get the M3 as a weekend toy and buy a beater to drive to work in. I might DD a Camaro but i'd have to drive one in the twisties first.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Corey
1. I voted S4. They're great cars. Everything you've said is spot on. You should look for the Top Gear review where they drove the B6 S4 (what you're looking at) and the E46 M3.

2. Why are you hell bent on the Comp package? The wheels are inexpensive to buy. The steering wheel loses it's controls. I just don't see the value there. I'd rather the non-comp package honestly.
i've watched every episode of top gear up through the 13th series. lol. yeah, i saw the review. i just think the m3 looks better, but mostly in interlagos, which is why i want the comp package. the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced there's not much chance i'd buy an m3 over an s4 considering the price difference. it's just not worth that much more...

Originally Posted by MissmyE30
Lol. No, they don't.

Is this going to be a DD? If so get the 335. I'd only get the M3 as a weekend toy and buy a beater to drive to work in. I might DD a Camaro but i'd have to drive one in the twisties first.
yeah this will most definitely be a dd. if i wanted a track car i'd build my e36...

the camaro will probably be ok in the twisties... if you can see out of it. every pillar in the car seems like it's about 20-50% too wide. they definitely sacrificed visibility for exterior aesthetics. but it does feel really planted, i don't think there's any allowance for body roll at all, and it actually has irs!!! who would have thought...

Quick Reply: another 'what car should i get' poll