Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 honda civic si breaking up

Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes
Default Re: 2000 honda civic si breaking up

that will be my next step whenever i get another chance to work on the car.

forgot about this:

he mentioned that the car would occasionally bog down to almost shutting off at stoplights prior to this current issue. a small vacuum leak was created as a temporary fix by removing a tiny plug from the intake manifold. this also leads me to believe it could be the tps going bad, but obviously the dizzy is the more likely culprit. anyway ill post findings next time i get to work on it
Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 PM
The real Ryan
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Do you know if anyone has tried cleaning the MAP sensor out? I have heard of cars running better after clearing the vacuum port and the sensor with a little brake cleaner.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Noones mentioned anything about that so I highly doubt it
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

MAP sensor is a likely culprit, now that you've said you had similar behavior on the other engine. MAP sensors are fairly fragile. Swap it out with another one and see what happens. I'm still not convinced though, because the manifold pressure changes with load, etc., for the same engine RPM, so a MAP sensor failure doesn't necessary show up at a very specific RPM range.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute

Map sensor was changed and now know it is not the distributor. If it helps any the engine harness I have on the motor is from the original B16 that also had this problem. Bump
Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 PM
B0MB5
Registered Member

B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5

Change the fuel filter? I've seen that cause it to run poorly. Also, it couldn't hurt to change at all
Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B0MB5
Change the fuel filter? I've seen that cause it to run poorly. Also, it couldn't hurt to change at all
Did change it a litttle over a year ago. I'll try that again. Its a cheap fix why not.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Originally Posted by 1freshsi
Did change it a litttle over a year ago. I'll try that again. Its a cheap fix why not.
I can't imagine the filter needs to be replaced already. Bring it by tomorrow and we can do some more troubleshooting
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
I can't imagine the filter needs to be replaced already. Bring it by tomorrow and we can do some more troubleshooting
I'll hit you up bro. Really thinking about just replacing every part from honda.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Originally Posted by 1freshsi
I'll hit you up bro. Really thinking about just replacing every part from honda.
Could always do that lol