Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW Advice

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: BMW Advice

Originally Posted by DnewmanSS
The guy I am buying it from has owned it for the past 10 years and says he never had to do anything to it other than oil changes, brakes, and he just put new tires on it a few months ago. He has only put 20,000 miles on it in the 10 years he had owned. He has several cars that he has collected over the years and is having to sell a few of them because of a divorce. He knew alot about the car and I feel pretty confident that he is being honest. I figure the first thing I will do is an oil change, spark plugs, and water pump and thermostat. I really appreciate everyones advice.
Change the radiator hoses as well. Its gonne need bushings, and if you change the water pump go ahead and do timing while you've got eveything torn apart.

You should also ditch the stock clutch fan in favor of an electirc fan
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
euthorus
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch
Change the radiator hoses as well. Its gonne need bushings, and if you change the water pump go ahead and do timing while you've got eveything torn apart.

You should also ditch the stock clutch fan in favor of an electirc fan
That stock fan is super fun to pull off after 19 years of dirt, grime, leaks and oxidation
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
boredom
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

Bmws are junk. Get a rukus and leave 3 hours early
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Trunk Impaired
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by boredom
Bmws are junk. Get a rukus and leave 3 hours early
Ruki are junk. Get a pogo stick and leave 12 hours early.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Dubee88
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88

Originally Posted by Race B&on
Ruki are junk. Get a pogo stick and leave 12 hours early.
pogo sticks are junk...get a pair of heelys and just roll on
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by eXploited
OK First....

Do not waste your money on a BMW.. FYI parts for BMW's are ridiculous and maintenance is a mother fucker.
lol you're dumb.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

As far as E36's specifically - make sure the cooling system has been updated to a waterpump w/ a metal impeller and an aluminum thermostat housing. The fan clutch's do not go bad that often despite what people in here are saying. I work on BMWs every day and very rarely see a bad fan clutch. Check when the last service II was performed as well. The main thing to check as far as oil goes is the last time the valve cover gaskets were done - they are the component we see leaking most commonly on both e36 and e46.

Basically ask to see all of the maintenance records - if service is not listed there assumed that it has not been performed. I would also check out the control arm bushings as they tend to have a relatively short life.

The automatic trans in those vehicles are known for being crappy - I would ask when the last trans service was.

Originally Posted by euthorus
That stock fan is super fun to pull off after 19 years of dirt, grime, leaks and oxidation
the fuck? if you're not a pussy all you need to take off the fan clutch is a wrench and a hammer. fuck a waterpump pulley tool.

Last edited by Archer; 01-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM
thenameskam
stupidity, no limits

thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam

Run away from that 92 as fast as you can as a DD. At best, you'll get 22 miles to the gallon with the M50nv. AT BEST. that means brand new off the lot. But, its not. run. The gas mileage of the m50nv, in its condition on highway, good driving is probably 19/20 if you stay off the pedal. as everyone else said. basics. water pump yada yada. One other thing. Open your truck, look at the wiring in the corner where the trunk shocks are, cut open that wire loom and check for any kind of Fusion or anything. bmw's have an issue with this setup, rubbing together and causing a short. just basic stuff,but as i said. try your best to NOT get it. get a later model WITH vanos. 28+ gas mileage.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

PSSSSHHHHHH.... tryina act like you know about BMW's shut up ho.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM
thenameskam
stupidity, no limits

thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam

YOUALREADYKNOW.

Quick Reply: BMW Advice