Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

VA State Inspection Question

Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: VA State Inspection Question

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I don't think you'd mix the types of LT tires that are actually bias ply though. And I sure hope people aren't buying junkyard tires from the 1960s...
LOL you'd be suprised. I think the best one we've ever had come through was a swapped honda. Tried to put the power steering pump back on. But one pulley was a v-belt and the other was a serpentine pulley. So the kid just found a random belt and threw it on there. We called the trooper to ask him and he said to pass it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM
99formula
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
looks like you are correct!
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...+19VAC30-70-20

the inspection begins when pulling into the service lane to check for brakes.

however, inspectors have always asked me to pull my car in and scrape off (and apply) the sticker myself under their supervision for shop liability reasons with my little red car.
I've witnessed the same with my race car (except I was told to leave the goddamn thing at home and just come get a sticker, or to come really early in the am, shut the thing off at the street, and coast into the bay). I'm not saying it isn't done, it just isn't legal.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
laserspeeddemon
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

Qualified is subjective. Techs don't feel "qualified" to drive my little red car, so they don't. I am also the one in the vehicle performing the instructed commands (lights on, etc) for them. There are only 3 people who have ever driven that car, ever.
Like 99Forumla just said, not saying it isn't done; just not the way it supposed to be done. I actually could care less which way they want to do it. I used to find it entertaining to watch a tech try to drive my car with an ACT2600 and a street disc. I REALLY can't wait for them to try it with my 6-puck and Fidanza flywheel.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by laserspeeddemon
Like 99Forumla just said, not saying it isn't done; just not the way it supposed to be done. I actually could care less which way they want to do it. I used to find it entertaining to watch a tech try to drive my car with an ACT2600 and a street disc. I REALLY can't wait for them to try it with my 6-puck and Fidanza flywheel.

save him the effort and drive it into a tree.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

that a shop insurance thing and likely their policy, not law.
Go to ANY shop and read the inspection requirements ....step one is to scrape sticker...

EDIT-Damn it....didn't see that someone already corrected you...

Last edited by NasTHatch; 04-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
p-stone
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Talked to several people, including a couple of other state inspectors, and they all said that they've never heard of the CPPS being required. Regardless, I fixed the switch. I am thinking about asking to see the code tomorrow after he re-inspects/passes the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Joker.
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
Go to ANY shop and read the inspection requirements ....step one is to scrape sticker...

EDIT-Damn it....didn't see that someone already corrected you...
fail.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM
07Spec
Tonight... You!

07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec

It's actually NOT part of the requirement in the codes at all. I actually read through every section of the codes pertaining to non-commercial, passenger vehicles last week. The issue is legality. You can go in with no muffler and still be allowed to pass inspection and get a ticket down the road when you leave (a rusted, shitty muffler will not pass however). Pretty much sums up to legal vs required. Your vehicle did not come with a feature that clearly overrides a safety feature, therefore it is illegal. It still should have passed though.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
00_civic757
Registered Member

00_civic757 has disabled reputation

well dude glad u fixed it but come to find out it is actually something u can fail for..i snagged the "official va state police vehicle safety inspection manual" from my work and on page 74 under section 19VAC30-70-450
Brakes: Emergency parking or holding
Inspect and Reject IF:
#7. On vehicles equipped with manual transmission, the vehicle will start in any gear if the clutch is not depressed
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM
laserspeeddemon
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 00_civic757
well dude glad u fixed it but come to find out it is actually something u can fail for..i snagged the "official va state police vehicle safety inspection manual" from my work and on page 74 under section 19VAC30-70-450
Brakes: Emergency parking or holding
Inspect and Reject IF:
#7. On vehicles equipped with manual transmission, the vehicle will start in any gear if the clutch is not depressed
Oooooo, good find. I didn't know this.

Quick Reply: VA State Inspection Question