Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

front plate subcommittee

Old 01-29-2003 | 06:40 AM
RatedV
Formerly Shinobi....

RatedV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Skywalker
Z32's don't have a spot for front plates. I will never desecrate my car by drilling holes for one. The cop who pulled me last month agreed and didn't give me a ticket for it. But the asshole still cited me for improper exhaust.
Nor do any of the sportier later model Nissans including mine and its just a 200sx
Old 01-29-2003 | 10:30 AM
lightningd
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

i thought radar bounced off the engine block? i've heard that multiple times so i'm assuming it's true. and i also heard that cops using laser speed detection aim for the license plates. not sure about that one either though.
Old 01-29-2003 | 01:20 PM
Boosted2003
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey it will help my turboed car out alot i think and it is effecting my gas mileage by about 1 mile per gallon casue i cant get enoguh air for the turbo i have had to mod my air box when i moved to virignia to get better gas milage...
Old 01-31-2003 | 09:57 AM
Skeletor
Ravishing

Skeletor Skeletor Skeletor

This thing is going to die just like it did last year. I don't think this state will ever change.
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:30 AM
IC x Prince
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

I dunno, my Truck doesn't have a place to mount the plate...the dealer told me...uh...I dunno know where to put this fron plate, so we put it behind the front seat. ohwell...i don't drive it much so the cops just don't see it.
Old 02-01-2003 | 02:02 PM
DoC-JoneS
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

Originally posted by lightningd
i thought radar bounced off the engine block?
whoever told you that is on crack. Radar bounces off whatever is is shot at. The rason cops aim for plates is because it's a flat surface. They will get a good read on it from a flat surface.

Consequently they will alos get a good reading off of a b-donk-a-donk intercooler too. don't think your turbo will help you there...
Old 02-01-2003 | 04:51 PM
drifter
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

radar will penetrate the body of the car a little and bounce off the chassis
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:08 PM
CivicSI1018

CivicSI1018 is an unknown quantity at this point

radar bounces off of anything. it doesn't have to be reflective. the cars aren't designed to pick up radar. the radar is designed to pick up the cars. Radar can pick up trees blowing in the wind. Radar is also in accurate in the rain cause it picks up water droplets. But here is another suggestion. Why don't you try contacting other states that don't require a front license plate and ask what there reasoning behind it is? It would help in an arguement. Just a suggestion though.
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:28 PM
drifter
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

radar will pick up the strongest signal which tends to be reflected better off of metal than organic objects...so dont expect to blame the cop's radar reading on the trees
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:33 PM
CivicSI1018

CivicSI1018 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just exagerating, sorry. but it does pick up paint most any kind cause clearcoat is reflective.

Quick Reply: front plate subcommittee