Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Locked the rear wheel today

Old 05-22-2004, 07:12 PM
2001gtP1SC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001gtP1SC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Locked the rear wheel today

just keep in mind that when you panic brake like that use your fronts too. You will stop a HELL of a lot quicker if you use both brakes and by applying the front brake you will reduce the tendancy of the rear locking up ( on mech. sound bike anyways ) . Just keep that in mind. You front should be like 75% of your stopping power. Just dont get crazy with it or youll flip er over.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:55 PM
kwth8n
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

i just changed my brakes. the pads were like 70 bucks . not sure bout the rotors.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

haha sorry to laugh, but i've done worse... like not putting my friend's brake bracket back on, so first time he touched the rear brake it clasped onto the disc and the caliper rotated full circle til it hit the top of the swing arm and locked up the rear wheel, i pulled the old Chris Farley from tommy boy "WHAT'D YOU DO??"

cbr600- the first time i got new tires put on by a buddy of mine, used to be semi-professional in AMA back in the 80's about maybe taking some sand paper to the tires to get off the compound, he said this is a very bad idea although it sounds like a good one, he didn't get specific, but i later read an article and it said its important for tires to be "broken-in" sort of, and adressed that this really messes up that process and will decrease the life of the tire

Torey- if you'd like i'll see what i could get you new pads and rotor for, EBC double H pads probably be 20$, not sure about the rotor, they make a OEM replacement, steel super light, and then a cool carbon steel waver rotor, i think they are all under 100 my cost though so if you want i'll check on that for you
Old 05-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Voodoo ST
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

75% of braking power is in the front brakes!! Just remember that.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Mr.6
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
haha sorry to laugh, but i've done worse... like not putting my friend's brake bracket back on, so first time he touched the rear brake it clasped onto the disc and the caliper rotated full circle til it hit the top of the swing arm and locked up the rear wheel, i pulled the old Chris Farley from tommy boy "WHAT'D YOU DO??"

cbr600- the first time i got new tires put on by a buddy of mine, used to be semi-professional in AMA back in the 80's about maybe taking some sand paper to the tires to get off the compound, he said this is a very bad idea although it sounds like a good one, he didn't get specific, but i later read an article and it said its important for tires to be "broken-in" sort of, and adressed that this really messes up that process and will decrease the life of the tire

Torey- if you'd like i'll see what i could get you new pads and rotor for, EBC double H pads probably be 20$, not sure about the rotor, they make a OEM replacement, steel super light, and then a cool carbon steel waver rotor, i think they are all under 100 my cost though so if you want i'll check on that for you

Yeah man, if you could, that would be awesome. My two neighbors said im gonna need to replace the caliper (because they said even if i just replace the disc and the pads, its still going to wear unevenly because i fucked up one side of the caliper) and the disc. When i went to yamahas page, i found the disc part number, but i couldnt find one for JUST the caliper, it is only marked as the entire assembly.

Here are the part numbers for what i need: 5EB-2582W-00-00 ; 5EB-2580W-00-00. Whatever that comes to, and then the pads on top. Down here, the disc will run me 96.99 and the assembly 215.35. Beat that and your a godsend Bret