Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

took the bike out for the first time

Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 PM
stang4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stang4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: took the bike out for the first time

is that the same price for tcc? i am trying to get set up for a class the first weekend in june if its available. ya my roomie thought he was being helpfull not realizing i wanted to let it warm up while i smoked a cig. oh well stuff happens. didnt hurt the bike at all. ya one of the other riders in mycomplex did the wave thing when i was out riding. its always cool to see how much more close knit riders are
Old 05-15-2005, 01:51 AM
zx636skiv

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

Welcome to a world unlike anything you've ever done before...bikes are addictive, so get used to it. And yeah, it's cool that bikers usually wave at each other, although, occasionally you will have a HD rider that won't wave at sportbikes, or vice versa.

I can't stress enough to take the MSF course, it helps more than you can believe. It will even give you a discount with some insurance companies. As for you military guys, I believe you can take it on base for free. One of the guys who rides with me is a MSF instructor through the base. I will try to see if I can get him to come in here to clear this up, since I'm not so sure. Not being in the military anymore so I don't really have to know these things!

Anyway, enjoy the bikes, and remember, we were all newbies at one time!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:53 AM
kwth8n
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

The MSF course is free for the military on base. they hold it twice a month at damneck in the sring & summer, and as many times as they need it on norfolk so basically when they get a full group they class up. You'll have to wait a lot less time taking the military one, but you have to use your own bike. You get the same card as the college one and it will get you your licenese just the same. i signed up for mine in june last year and got a class within 4 days, you just need a chit from your command sayings its okay. If you take it on norfolk naval base you get 2 days off without having to take leave too cause its held during the week .
Old 05-15-2005, 05:29 AM
stang4ever

thats good to know. my command is trying to set one up for all the new riders. i just got to get my bike insured and registeres first. its just a pain in the butt when its titled to someone else
Old 05-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Flyin' Low
Whaaaat?

Flyin' Low is an unknown quantity at this point

Air force reimburses afterwards...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
HD1200R

HD1200R has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
And yeah, it's cool that bikers usually wave at each other, although, occasionally you will have a HD rider that won't wave at sportbikes, or vice versa.
Glad it's not all of us HD riders. The really stuck up Harley owners wont wave to Sportster owners! I guess you can't get too much more full of yourself that that!

Congrats on the new bike btw and keep practicing. The death grip will go away and holding the clutch will be easier. Pick up one of those hand grips at Sports Authority and work on your grip when not riding. It should help you out. If you are still complaining, go test ride a Sportster or Lowrider from Harley and cruise down the stip one Saturday afternoon. You'll soon learn how great those clutches are on the jap bikes. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!

Defanitely take the MSF course. I've been riding when I was 6 and still learned from it when I took the course at 15. If you are looking to take a passenger on the bike, first get a fellow rider to work with you in a parking lot so that you can get the feel of carrying a passenger. When you do go take a passenger on the back, ask if they have ridden on the back of a bike before. If they say yes, you should not have too much to worry about. If they say no, explain to them about not touching the exhaust and always lean with you when in a turn. Even if they feel the need to straighten up, they need to overcome that so that you don't wreck and hurt each other. Also make sure to tell them to NEVER take their feet off the pegs or let go of you. You might not run across passengers putting their feet on the ground while at a light on a jap bike but it happens a lot on cruisers since they sit close to the ground. One last note on carrying a passenger. They need to have trust in you if you both want to be safe. NEVER do stunts or try to scare the passenger. If you are lucky, they will never ride again. I'll let you use your imagination on with if you or her are not as lucky and she gets scared.

Enjoy the new bike and respect it's power. Don't be stupid on it and ride safe! Hopefully we can go cruising sometime once you get your liscence.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:18 PM
stang4ever

thanks for the tips. i appreciate everyones help. ya i cant wait to start going on rides on the weekends. i was going to get it registered this week but since its still in my brothers name i cant get insurance on it according to geico. so i have to wait to get the title. and i know what you mean about respecting its power. cause i have always heard its the day you aint afraid of the bike is the day you get dumb and get yourself hurt.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
stang4ever

i think the death grip is finally cured. took almost 2 weeks. but its gone