Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

STI or EVO or SRT-4

Old 06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
blacksrt4guy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blacksrt4guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STI or EVO or SRT-4

i own an srt4. great car. if you got the money though go with the evo
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 AM
gnt0223
Registered Member

gnt0223 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own an srt-4 also. as far as everone knocking the handling. if you aren't gonna race it on tracks like scca then who cares. the car handles great. I have taken it to langley raceway and ran it around the track a couple of times. the tires stick pretty good. they are cheap as hell to mod. if you want 300 hp you'll spend about 1500 to 2000 depending on where you buy the stuff from. 3500 and you can be pushing 450!

also the stock internals on the srt-4 are good up to about 500 hp give or take.

if you got the money get the evo. I think they are nice. you have to get the evo mr though.

super street just did an article on all of the project cars that they hve done. they did a time trial with them to see how they would stack up against each other. order as follows

1. evo mr
2. nissan sylvia
3. srt-4
and I think the evo was 4th or 5th

the srt-4 isnt as much as a pig as people think!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

I think you know which one I suggest, but let me elaborate a little...

First, the SRT-4 - Yes, they have plenty of power. But, they are FWD, so they have a hard time putting that power to the ground. Plus, when you get in them, you can tell you are in a less expensive car. But, bang for buck, I don't think you can beat it.

Second, the Evo - AWD is a big plus. I have only driven a couple, but from what I have seen they handle great. Plus, with a 4G63, there are tons of mods. No cruise control, if that matters to you. I haven't driven an MR, so no comment there. If you are looking for a car to make tons of power and do a ton of mods to, the Evo is probably the best choice.

Third, the STi - AWD, obviously. Best interior in the group. Strongest transmission. Highest level of stock equipment. The STi is still relatively new on the market so mods are fewer and more expensive than for DSM's. Also, things that work on other cars don't always work on a Subaru. So, making it compete with other comparably modded cars will take a little more. But it can be done. There are plenty of people running 450-500 whp on the stock block and transmission. Handling is as good as anything else I've driven in the price range.

I won't go into looks because that is entirely subjective, and what I think looks good may look like crap to someone else.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 AM
yokojzz30
Seh-Fee-Ro

yokojzz30 is an unknown quantity at this point

best post yet ^

i say evo one mainly cuz im a mitsu fan/prior dsm owner...i love awd...as far as the evo/sti deal...same as cosmo and the rest said...aftermarket support is in favor of the evo...i love srt4's but im done w/ FWD cars
Old 06-22-2005, 05:52 AM
gnt0223
Registered Member

with the right suspension set-up, the power goes to the ground easily.

look at how many poeple are in the 11's
Old 06-22-2005, 07:11 AM
bennycnu11

bennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to all

Evo, for reasons stated in cosmo's post, and the Evo 8 is cheaper then the sti.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
SloHatch
Banned

SloHatch is an unknown quantity at this point

4g63t = king

go evo, no doubt youll hit 12s with just some simple bolt ons like air filter, fuel tuning higher boost.. easily accomplished by the closed deck 4g63 my opinon
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 AM
gnt0223
Registered Member

what about the tranny in the evo? I hear that the stock ones go out real easy. maybe its the clutch but I am not sure. just curious. from what I have read about the evo that is the only weak point of the car. that thing can handle though!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
BlackNite
SoVaDC5

BlackNite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bennycnu11
Evo, for reasons stated in cosmo's post, and the Evo 8 is cheaper then the sti.
I think someone is a bit biased.. lol

Originally Posted by Cosmo
I think you know which one I suggest, but let me elaborate a little...

First, the SRT-4 - Yes, they have plenty of power. But, they are FWD, so they have a hard time putting that power to the ground. Plus, when you get in them, you can tell you are in a less expensive car. But, bang for buck, I don't think you can beat it.

Second, the Evo - AWD is a big plus. I have only driven a couple, but from what I have seen they handle great. Plus, with a 4G63, there are tons of mods. No cruise control, if that matters to you. I haven't driven an MR, so no comment there. If you are looking for a car to make tons of power and do a ton of mods to, the Evo is probably the best choice.

Third, the STi - AWD, obviously. Best interior in the group. Strongest transmission. Highest level of stock equipment. The STi is still relatively new on the market so mods are fewer and more expensive than for DSM's. Also, things that work on other cars don't always work on a Subaru. So, making it compete with other comparably modded cars will take a little more. But it can be done. There are plenty of people running 450-500 whp on the stock block and transmission. Handling is as good as anything else I've driven in the price range.

I won't go into looks because that is entirely subjective, and what I think looks good may look like crap to someone else.
Agreed. I say go with the STI if you can afford it, otherwize, the Evo. SRT-4 = Wrong wheel drive, and if you plan on buying one of these cars for strait line, then AWD is where it's at for the 1/4 mile.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
amccrazgrl
Registered Member

amccrazgrl has disabled reputation

try to test drive all 3 of them and then figure out what you want and can afford.

i have a wrx lookin to get a sti soon

Quick Reply: STI or EVO or SRT-4