Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Questions to Current Northrop Grumman Employees

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
NaD00D00
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Questions to Current Northrop Grumman Employees

Originally Posted by zc91crx
homie just as a heads up, if you get hired on as an outside contractor(amsec, tradesmen int., ameriforce....) you WILL NOT have a job once the current contract is up or the Bush and Vincent leave, which ever happens first. the new contract is supposed to be signed in november i believe
Well, I applied for a Technical Writer position; I'm an English major and have no plans to do any engineering or anything like that. I'm not sure if that makes any difference with the above situation...

To be honest, I just want some experience so I can apply for other jobs down the road. If that means working for NG or AMSEC or whoever for a few months to get at least a few months of experience, that's ok by me...

(BTW, sorry for the threadjack to original poster. I figured that mad NG people were here so they could give me a quick response.)
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

homie just as a heads up, if you get hired on as an outside contractor(amsec, tradesmen int., ameriforce....) you WILL NOT have a job once the current contract is up or the Bush and Vincent leave, which ever happens first. the new contract is supposed to be signed in november i believe
Not to worry, the Ford and Roosevelt are right behind the Bush and Vinson. Also, AMSEC and the other contractors have business besides just NGNN. They're still ebb/flow, but it has little to do with what ships are in the yard, as the engineering work happens years before the ships even arrive/keel is laid.

Last edited by sjfehr; 07-16-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Black Z-24
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

Originally Posted by 07 FG2
Actually considered as a design Co-op, but yea i dont really know how stuff works but i have been introduced to a lot of politcs considering all i have been with is directors and supervisors. So i hear a lot and see how it works.
No you don't, at all. Especially if you are on the design side. The shipyard designs, builds, and refuels nuclear ships - what side do you think a brunt of the politics are handled on? I'm willing to say: not the design side.

dudes he's summer help and thats all he needed to say
I'll agree with you that some summer interns do not have a clue as to how the yard really works but, with this quote, I'd have to honestly say shut the fuck up.

Summer help/interns are doing what any entry level college graduate would do; gain experience. I'm guessing you just woke the fuck up one day with 10 years of experience? You're pissing on an entry level person because he has no experience. It's obvious where he will land in 10 years and where you will be. Ok, now it's your turn to brag about how far you are in life and how much better you are for having more experience. GO!

EDIT: and I may just add that the fact that the shipyard has a high attrition rate may be a good thing - people like you are leaving.

Last edited by Black Z-24; 07-17-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Daft Punk
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

There is alot of Inside politics on the Design side, it does suck. You get the shaft most of the time. but oh well. money pays bills right.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Jermizzle
VERSUS1™

Jermizzle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Miguelangelo
There is alot of Inside politics on the Design side, it does suck. You get the shaft most of the time. but oh well. money pays bills right.
totally agree
Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
~Josh
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
I'll agree with you that some summer interns do not have a clue as to how the yard really works but, with this quote, I'd have to honestly say shut the fuck up.

Summer help/interns are doing what any entry level college graduate would do; gain experience. I'm guessing you just woke the fuck up one day with 10 years of experience? You're pissing on an entry level person because he has no experience. It's obvious where he will land in 10 years and where you will be. Ok, now it's your turn to brag about how far you are in life and how much better you are for having more experience. GO!

EDIT: and I may just add that the fact that the shipyard has a high attrition rate may be a good thing - people like you are leaving.

wow your a little upset huh, but you couldn't be more right about people like me leaving. i just turned in my badge on tuesday and start at norfolk naval on monday, for 4.25 an hour more, not to mention retirement after 20 years. im not "pissing on" anyone, but summer helpers realy have no idea about shipyard politics or inner-workings and in my opinion shouldnt give advice to people seaking employment there. nice rant anyways

edit: fuck newport news shipyard, four other yards within 25 miles all with higher base pay and better retirement plans

Last edited by ~Josh; 07-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Black Z-24
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

wow your a little upset huh, but you couldn't be more right about people like me leaving. i just turned in my badge on tuesday and start at norfolk naval on monday, for 4.25 an hour more, not to mention retirement after 20 years. im not "pissing on" anyone, but summer helpers realy have no idea about shipyard politics or inner-workings and in my opinion shouldnt give advice to people seaking employment there. nice rant anyways

edit: fuck newport news shipyard, four other yards within 25 miles all with higher base pay and better retirement plans
All I see is: you leave the company; company hires interns to fill the spot. Says worlds about your job.

To the OP: A coherent response would be that the shipyard is a great place to start after college. They offered a higher starting rate for me than most places start at. However, it plateaus after X number of years because there is a large funnel to get to management (if that is your aim). If you are looking to pay the bills, gain experience, and then move elsewhere - NGNN may be a great choice.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
calgone47
Registered Member

calgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond reputecalgone47 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
To the OP: A coherent response would be that the shipyard is a great place to start after college. They offered a higher starting rate for me than most places start at. However, it plateaus after X number of years because there is a large funnel to get to management (if that is your aim). If you are looking to pay the bills, gain experience, and then move elsewhere - NGNN may be a great choice.