Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

imports vs. v8 cars

Old 05-06-2003, 04:52 AM
lightningd
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Re: sups

Originally posted by gyl
cough cough cough flowmaster fastest streetcar shootout cough cough cough all cars run in the 6's with mufflers cough cough cough.

that supra that runs 8.46 on drag radials...he does it with 2 power adders...turbo AND nitrous.there are several stangs that do it on turbo alone...i.e. dwayne "big daddy" gudridge.

on top of that...doesn't my car run 9's on motor alone?hmmm,and i can drive it on the street too,on top of that,i can name off at least 10 other cars around here running low low 10's or better that run on the street.name 1 honda around here that does that.can acually drive 30 miles and pull 3 back to back passes and pull low 10's or better with changing tires or popping the hood for anything.

import manufacturers have been making v8's for a few years now...and they still don't compare in the aftermarket high-end power or torque department.
true true true. you must also take into account though that v8s have been dragging for what, 30 to 40 years? the smaller motor cars aren't anywhere near that. maybe once the experience level of the genre gets that old they can be able to do the same thing. then again, maybe not. it's something to think about though.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:50 AM
99slowlst
no love for hoes...

99slowlst
Default Re: sups

Originally posted by gyl
name 1 honda around here that does that.can acually drive 30 miles and pull 3 back to back passes and pull low 10's or better with changing tires or popping the hood for anything.

import manufacturers have been making v8's for a few years now...and they still don't compare in the aftermarket high-end power or torque department.

1. if you pay attention to who all posts on here, and what cars run what times, maybe youd know there are a few hondas out there that are surprisingly fast. now, without changing tires, thats a tough one. to get a honda with that much torque (there are a couple that im not gonna name drop on that are pushing 500+hp out there) and hp to hook without slicks.

2. i dont know anything about import v8s.....i havent seen too many of them.....and i sure as HELL havent ridden in any. but very few stock v8s are gonna make runs at 10's. most are gonna take a decent amount of engine internal mods arent they?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:38 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

91Blackbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a 98-02 F-body

Heads/Cam/Spray/Stall=10s

Stock internals.

If you then go into the motor itself, you can punch out the stock block and re-sleeve it then add a stroker kit and increase displacement from 346 CID (5.7L) to 434 CID (7.1L)

There's a turbo kit available for the LS1 that will pick up nearly 200 rear wheel horsepower on an otherwise completely stock motor, and is safe on the stock block. So either way 10s with a stock internal motor aren't a problem on this car. 8's or 9's can be done as well on the same block.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:48 AM
99slowlst
no love for hoes...

99slowlst

i was referring to na v8s....it takes a little motor work to get to those times, right?

same with four bangers....if you want to make an all motor combo, you can do the infamous ls/vtec in as light of a car as you can find. or the crv/vtec...

its not gonna push 9's without forced induction probably....but if you have the money to sink into it, anything is possible...

a turbo kit on an ls1 would be NASTY. god, blackgloves car is evil with the na engine work he has alone.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

91Blackbird is an unknown quantity at this point

MTI S2 Heads
C1 Hammer cam 112lc
FLP headers
Yank ST3500
ET Drags
Weld Drag lites
Shaner S2 TB
Super Sucker CA kit
BMR SFC and TA
Pace MAF
MTI Custom tuning

10.91@122.26mph

This guy is from Texas Race weight: 3475lbs

There is also a Cam only car running 11.02 or something. Of course the car has been lightened, etc.

Last edited by 91Blackbird; 05-06-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 AM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

the only thing i hate about a v8 is the goddamn sound, i hate going to the track when the domestics are runnng cause goddamn its loud..........and i bought my car for 4500 bucks, bought a turbo kit and msd for 3500 bucks, and a clutch and ran 13.1, now i know a stock camaro or a trans am will prolly run close to that but price difference is about 15k-18k, dont get me wrong, cause if i could afford a t/a i would buy one but i cant, price is my thing, i dont have alot of money, but if i can run good times and whoop the shit out of the z28 talking shit to me in the staging lanes for 1/4 of what he paid for his car, im happy........and there is no replacement for displacement, not even boost, but it sure helps..........and you can still build a 9 second honda for less than half the price of a new camaro.....
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Mr.2
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

some people value more than straight line speed.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
babybluegsr
B18C1-T What?

babybluegsr is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my 4 bangers

Last edited by babybluegsr; 05-06-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Cash Z28
Just a Camaro

Cash Z28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: sups

Originally posted by 99slowlst
cough cough cough....supra....cough cough cough..

on top of that, isnt there a 9 second honda on the south side??

Originally posted by gyl

this discussion is old,flame me if you want...but it comes down to 2 hard facts...
1.there is NO replacement for displacement
2.the fastest import (street or dragcar) will never be as quick as the fastest domestic.

torque wins all hp battles.
[/B]
hmmm like gyl says take top car vs top cars. . fastest import I ever heard was running like 6's or 7's with it all stripped down and all kinds of suspinion mods to put the hp on the front wheels. . . . . take funny cars or top fule . .4.6's and all that . . . boost was made for little motors to have more power. . but put em on a big motor and it creates even more power