Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lets talk garage/shop lighting...

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Lets talk garage/shop lighting...

Ive got 2 4ft standard flourescent fixtures... two bulbs per. Im ready for more light. Its my understanding that the 8ft flourescent fixtures put out a bunch more light than the 4 footers... not just because theyre 2x as long, but something else about them. Can anyone explain?

Whats everyone else using? My garage is a standard 20x20ish 2 car.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
1aznTT
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT
Default Re: Lets talk garage/shop lighting...

I am using a Standard 4 foot fluorescent fixture and a drop down light which will stretch across the entire garage. It's SUPER bright, easy to mount and only runs 25$ at any hardware store.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

I'm thinking about upgrading to the 8-ft T12 units... who knows.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
JDM74
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

I have a garage comparable to yours in size, 21x21. I have 2 8 foot fixtures with 4 bulbs in each fixture. I would say it is fairly decent. good enough to wax a car by. I also have 2 4 foot double bulb fixtures over my work bench with lights it very well.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I had 6 fixtures in my one car garage, each with two 8 foot bulbs. You could get a tan in there. I got all the stuff surplus so it didn't cost anything but the bulbs though. I like lots of light for composites work.

Brian, bulbs generally put out roughly the same amount of light per foot, but that's assuming the same color, diameter, etc. I wouldn't bother with any clear diffraction stuff either, it softens the light but also scatters it too much for my tastes. I like nice hard reflections, it makes finding paint flaws easier. Get the fixtures that are permanently installed, the ballasts are much better and the fixtures themselves are often better quality for the price you pay than the hang-from-a-chain type.

Oh, and pay attention to the type of bulbs you get, some colors are a lot nicer to work under than others.. I like the closest to natural daylight, I find it gives me less eye strain and lets me work longer without having to flee from harsh pure white light.

I'd suggest estimating what you think you need for fixtures, and then adding a little more on top of that. Florescent lights are efficient and fairly cheap, and it's always nice to have more light than you need instead of not enough.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-24-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Corey
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

My garage is similar in size to yours, Brian. I have six (x6) four foot fluorescent fixtures with two bulbs each. I also have two drop lights that I set up when working under a car. It's bright enough, but I don't think there is anything wrong with too much light.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Flite
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I was just throwing around some garage lighting ideas in my head too. I've only got the 2 4ft fixtures the house came with. The go across my garage in the middle. I thought about doing 8 4fters lengthwise but I'm a little worried that might actually cut down on under-hood light.

Maybe 2 4ft fixtures at the hood-end of the garage and some 8ft fixtures down the length of each side....
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
9civic5
DUKE BLUE DEVILS

9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Corey
My MOMMA'S garage is similar in size to yours, Brian...........................
Fixed....
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Grease Monkey
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

Originally Posted by 9civic5
Fixed....
+rep
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Greaser
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

if you get flourescents dont get the cheapest units. Get the medium priced units with cold temp ballasts and cold temp bulbs.

my garage is 25x28 and i have 11 4ft dual bulb units. I spent the money on the mid grade and they turn right on in 30degree weather. When i paint cars in the garage i pull out an additional 4 4ft units on some special stands and i didnt spend the money on them. They take a couple mins to turn on.

expect to spend 10-15 on each unit equipped with a good ballast then get a value packed light set.

Quick Reply: Lets talk garage/shop lighting...