Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls motor is overheating!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
eball24
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24 eball24
Default ls motor is overheating!!!

fixed, please closemy ls is overheating bad. i have checked all hoses and cant find where its leaking but it is leaking coolant bad. anything i should check? please lmk

thanks,
evan

Last edited by eball24; 01-09-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: ls motor is overheating!!!

You blew a HG bro. If you can't find coolant, but the coolant level is dropping and your car is overheating it's probably because the coolant and the oil are doing a nice little salsa dance in your cylinders.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Probably need a new thermostat, and hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket as collateral damage.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Twenty5psi
Registered member

Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi Twenty5psi

bro, u need to keep your coolant cool so it doesn't overheat, k?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Probably need a new thermostat, and hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket as collateral damage.
Why would the thermo cause a coolant leak? Plus most Honda thermo's fail open not closed. Could be right, but I think it's more than that.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:21 PM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Why would the thermo cause a coolant leak? Plus most Honda thermo's fail open not closed. Could be right, but I think it's more than that.
he didnt specifically say that its leaking...he did however say he couldnt find the leak so that could possibly mean that it is leaking. If its not the upper or lower radiator hose than you should check the hoses coming off the thermo. even the smallest hose that runs from the thermo could cause the motor to overheat if its leaking. also you should check to make sure your fans are coming on. could be as simple as a blown fuse. But considering its winter and freezing outside , its more likely fluid loss that is causing the overheating issue.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why would you assume something that I didn't say...?

And why would you automatically assume that the head gasket is blown just because it's overheating and the coolant leak hasn't been found yet?

I don't care if your opinion says that most Honda thermostats fail open, the word "most" doesn't mean "all". Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace, fans cost nothing to check, and coolant is cheap to top off and check for leaks.. It's always best to check the likely suspects that cause overheating first, before pulling a head off to check for a blown head gasket. You'd feel pretty stupid if the head was pulled and nothing was wrong with the head gasket, and you hadn't checked whether the cheap/easy stuff was actually the problem.

Troubleshooting fails as soon as you start making assumptions based on a lack of proper or complete information.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
burnoutboy
TheMuhFuggin♂

Why would you assume something that I didn't say...?
Are you assuming the overheating and the coolant leak are different issues?if not you'd have to assume they were related...

And why would you automatically assume that the head gasket is blown just because it's overheating and the coolant leak hasn't been found yet?
Well judging his symptoms as a whole it's the most likely scenario IMO. When coolant is leaking "BAD" you can usually find the leak pretty damn easily.

I don't care if your opinion says that most Honda thermostats fail open, the word "most" doesn't mean "all". Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace, fans cost nothing to check, and coolant is cheap to top off and check for leaks.. It's always best to check the likely suspects that cause overheating first, before pulling a head off to check for a blown head gasket. You'd feel pretty stupid if the head was pulled and nothing was wrong with the head gasket, and you hadn't checked whether the cheap/easy stuff was actually the problem.
Thats kinda why I specifically said "MOST" and when did I EVER suggest pulling the head? Is that seriosly how you'd recommend checking for a blown HG? What about a compression or leakdown test? Were we gonna skip those steps?

Troubleshooting fails as soon as you start making assumptions based on a lack of proper or complete information.
KInda like saying "it's the thermostat"?

Last edited by burnoutboy; 12-23-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Laserjock
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

die, I meant dye, mofo!

lol UV die can be added to your coolant and a blacklight used to find it, in da club

does your exhaust have a sweet smell?

Originally Posted by eball24
my ls is overheating bad. i have checked all hoses and cant find where its leaking but it is leaking coolant bad. anything i should check? please lmk

thanks,
evan
Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Are you assuming the overheating and the coolant leak are different issues?if not you'd have to assume they were related...

Well judging his symptoms as a whole it's the most likely scenario IMO. When coolant is leaking "BAD" you can usually find the leak pretty damn easily.

Thats kinda why I specifically said "MOST" and when did I EVER suggest pulling the head? Is that seriosly how you'd recommend checking for a blown HG? What about a compression or leakdown test? Were we gonna skip those steps?

KInda like saying "it's the thermostat"?
Hey, look! You're doing critical thinking now! Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: ls motor is overheating!!!