Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Rebuilding my Transmission.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Rebuilding my Transmission.

Alright, to start off. I have a JDM GSR LSD transmission. I have close to 400whp and 250wtq. I'll be going more here after I complete my car again. Here is what happened.

The transmission has been showing signs of epic fail. Grinding hard as hell going in third from a down shift, popping out of third and being a fgt going into to fourth. Generally, a little hard to put in gear. Well, I was at the stoplight, eased out of the clutch to start rolling, I hear a pop. The CV axle came out. I took the axle out yesterday, feels like the side gear where the cv slides into, has seperated itself from the transmission, thus, not allowing the cv axle to stay put. (its driveable, till it comes out haha) Needless to ask, is it rebuildable?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
shad
Registered Member

shad has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rebuilding my Transmission.

of course it is rebuildable as long as there is no case damage. The question is when it comes apart is there just bad stynchros and a few ate up gears or is there major damage. some times it is more cost effective to buy a whole new tranny unless you are capable to do most of the work yourself. as for the axel there should be a snap ring on the end of the axel that goes into the tranny. that is what hold the axel in place. is that missing?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by shad
of course it is rebuildable as long as there is no case damage. The question is when it comes apart is there just bad stynchros and a few ate up gears or is there major damage. some times it is more cost effective to buy a whole new tranny unless you are capable to do most of the work yourself. as for the axel there should be a snap ring on the end of the axel that goes into the tranny. that is what hold the axel in place. is that missing?
I thought the snap ring may have been the culprate and it wasn't. I replaced it with a warranty axle I got from carquest and it still is gay. I didn't know if I could replace the side gear. I'll be taking my time, doing it. I have to learn how either way and I work at a shop so I'll have some help if I run into problems.

I plan on ordering parts through Gearspeed Inc. to get new Carbon syncros, sleeves and whatever else I may need once I pop the case and see what I damaged. I just don't want to throw another stock transmission in and tear it up. Do it once, do it right.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
madsteez
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

get new sliders as well,there expensive but hey if you want it to last getem.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
b16pwrcrx
cheeseburger

b16pwrcrx has disabled reputation

sounds like diff might be broken..does it make noise when driving around? also could be the shift for selector breaking making it hard to go in all gears, thats pretty common from slammin gears. and yea syncros are prolly jacked, if u get the syncro kit from gear speed get the rings also with them, they are like 5 bucks each
Old 07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by b16pwrcrx
sounds like diff might be broken..does it make noise when driving around? also could be the shift for selector breaking making it hard to go in all gears, thats pretty common from slammin gears. and yea syncros are prolly jacked, if u get the syncro kit from gear speed get the rings also with them, they are like 5 bucks each
I broke the side gear off the diff I guess.

I'll know for sure when I crack the case apart this week. It makes no noise, the cv axle just pops out and it also whines like its low on fluid, when its not.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
madsteez
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by I spy Psi, no?
I broke the side gear off the diff I guess.

I'll know for sure when I crack the case apart this week. It makes no noise, the cv axle just pops out and it also whines like its low on fluid, when its not.
hehehe bye bye lsd
Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by madsteez
hehehe bye bye lsd
Time for a queef. I mean Quaife haha.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
madsteez
Ohhh Snap

Originally Posted by I spy Psi, no?
Time for a sniff of queef.

fixed for truth
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by madsteez
fixed for truth
Haha <3

I'm stoked to pull the trans apart and find out what all I shredded.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my Transmission.