Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

OEM HID JDM Integra headlight flickering.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
TiredToyotaDrvr
Oh hey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr
Default OEM HID JDM Integra headlight flickering.

98+ JDM Integra HID headlights... OEM ballast. The driver's side low beam HID works flawlessly. Passenger's side is erratic.

I let the car sit for about a month. Went to get it from where I store it and the headlight isnt acting right. It's totally random, there doesn't seem to be any pattern. It's flickering like it is trying to heat up and glow but cant. Sometimes it comes and on stays on, other times it blinks, other times it stays on for a while, then blinks, then stays on steadily again. Short? Bad Ballast?

Haven't really dug into anything yet, just wanted to see if anyone knows of a common failure or pattern in these.

Worse-case scenario, I'll pick up a 55w kit from retro-solutions.com... but if theres an easier fix, I'm all ears. Not too stoked about having to trash my OEM ballast (if it's bad)... but that'll have to do if necessary.

Thanks, all...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: OEM HID JDM Integra headlight flickering.

Sounds like a bad ballast or bad wiring connection. If the ballasts are modular, try swapping ballasts from one side to the other and see if the problem tracks the ballast.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
TiredToyotaDrvr
Oh hey

TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sounds like a bad ballast or bad wiring connection. If the ballasts are modular, try swapping ballasts from one side to the other and see if the problem tracks the ballast.
Will do... not sure if they're modular or not. The mounting may not be, but the wiring harnesses should be the same on either side.

Cant get to the shop until the weekend... was hoping to have a nice, enjoyable week of driving...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Laserjock
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

ahem, it would be easier to swap bulbs 1st, no?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
TiredToyotaDrvr
Oh hey

Originally Posted by Laserjock
ahem, it would be easier to swap bulbs 1st, no?
Its my understanding that HID bulbs are either good or not... nothing in between... so the fact that it's flashing and stays on sometimes eliminates the possibility of a bad bulb...

correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
twinturbomeow
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

ballast or wiring
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM
TiredToyotaDrvr
Oh hey

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
ballast or wiring
But not the bulb?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
LeetPIE
Registered member

LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE

its not the bulb. it sounds like a connection issue. Mine were doing that and i just had to remount them because every bump would cause it to go on or off. If thats not it.. then it's the ballast.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM
BuddyClubCivic
All Motor All Day

BuddyClubCivic has disabled reputation

My headlight switch is going bad in my civic and causes the same thing. I have to play with the switch to find the sweet spot and then it works fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by BuddyClubCivic
My headlight switch is going bad in my civic and causes the same thing. I have to play with the switch to find the sweet spot and then it works fine.
Your headlight switch is going bad and it's only affecting one of the two headlights?

Quick Reply: OEM HID JDM Integra headlight flickering.