Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls/vtec stripped threads

Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 PM
sleeperteg
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg
Default ls/vtec stripped threads

hey i have an ls/vtec motor and i am in the process of replacing the head gasket.

stock GSR b18c1 head
on LS b18b1 block p73piston

the motor had 8 arp head studs and 2 stock head bolts for some reason..

I was re-torquing the head bolts onto the block in sequence and one of the bolts stripped the threading out of the block.

what would be the best/easiest way to re-thread it? looking for any good suggestions..

trying a tap tomorroow.

Last edited by sleeperteg; 05-24-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Royal Durple
Registered Member

Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple Royal Durple
Default Re: ls/vtec stripped threads

I think its something called like "heli-coils" you can use for that or something. Either that, or buy another block my dude lol
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There are a few head repair inserts like Heli-Coils, Time-Serts, etc. I wouldn't use a mixed batch of studs though, either use a full set of ARP or a full set of OEM.

LS blocks are easy to come by, so if the repair doesn't work than just buy another block.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 AM
sleeperteg
Registered member

sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg

The Heli-coil thread inserts seem like a good idea, I am really looking for something to get my DD on the road again asap.

I guess i can blame that shop innovative auto that went out of business for the mixed head stud stupidity.

I would really like to avoid rebuilding another block at all costs.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

Do NOT heli-coil it. Best way to fix it is with a Time-Sert.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM
sleeperteg
Registered member

Originally Posted by JStab
Do NOT heli-coil it. Best way to fix it is with a Time-Sert.
anyone have experience using these? what parts of the kit other than the insert do i need, i looked up the price of the kit, $396.37 and $431.42, fuck that.

is there a shop around here that carries these or do i have to order them online and wait for them to ship
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

I have alot of experience with them. Thus my post. If you heli-coil it, when that fails you will have to use the "Big-Sert" kit. Those cost even more. What area do you live in?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM
sleeperteg
Registered member

Yorktown/Grafton.. 10 to 15 mins from newport news or hampton. do i need the whole kit or just the insert? like, could i use another tap and just buy the thread insert? or if you have a kit would you mind letting me borrow it?

if i would have to pay hundreds for a thread repair kit i may as well source a new shortblock
Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 AM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

Originally Posted by sleeperteg
Yorktown/Grafton.. 10 to 15 mins from newport news or hampton. do i need the whole kit or just the insert? like, could i use another tap and just buy the thread insert? or if you have a kit would you mind letting me borrow it?

if i would have to pay hundreds for a thread repair kit i may as well source a new shortblock
I dont have a kit, my buddy "spnamnt" has both the Time-Sert and the Big-Sert kits. I was asking to see how far you were from him since he is in the Richmond area, he may be able to help you. Maybe some of the shops down in your area like Ramey might have the kit also. I would ask around. You need the whole kit to do it correctly.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM
sleeperteg
Registered member

i will look around, but i really am not trying to spend hundreds of dollars to fix this block as i could probably get another block for cheaper anyway.

tell your friend that if he ever comes down this way sometime soon, i could meet him and if he was willing to let me borrow the kit, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Quick Reply: ls/vtec stripped threads