Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Gun Thread (1911 Question)

Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
str8jakett
Nada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
str8jakett will become famous soon enough
Default Gun Thread (1911 Question)

Since a lot of you are gun enthusiasts here, thought I'd ask for some opinions. I've been thinking about what I want for my next handgun and I think I've settled on a full size 1911 .45. Who owns one, who makes it, and what do you think of it? I have shot a Colt but it was quite a while ago and I am not sure which model it was. I like the look of the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, and of Course the Kimbers/Colts are a top choice. Price is an issue, but so is quality, and since most gun shops have layaway, I can wait longer for a better made gun. I'm also open to suggestions, but I am looking for something specific:

Full Frame
.45 or .40
Semi-Auto
Looks good!

Also, it shouldn't be too similar to my Colt Defender or Glock 27. I've considered the S&W Model 410 and the Taurus 24/7, but I have no experience with either. Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gun Thread (1911 Question)

I haven't made it to purchasing a 1911 yet, honestly because it's not near the top of my "must have" list..

I think you should look into a CZ 75, CZ P01/SP01, or a Tanfoglio if you are looking for an all steel gun.

The 24/7 seems to be a great gun, but with spotty problems that seem to be random, I almost purchased one, still probably would/will..

IMO if I were shopping for a polymer pistol right now my choices would probably be narrowed down to:

-FN FNP9
-Beretta PX9

I actually have an FNP9, absolutely love the gun, I would buy another right now if money permitted it. I also want a PX9 pretty bad!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 PM
str8jakett
Nada

Some nice guns you have suggested. I think I've actually decided to go with something smaller than a 1911 full frame, probably Commander size. There is just something about the look of the classic 1911 that I like much better than the "busy" look of the recent models. I've also been looking into a decent used Sig 225. I have the bug right now and it doesn't fit well with the budget.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 AM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

what's your budget,exactly?that's the main thing.
i've shot a friend's(Robdaman on here).45 Kimber several times,and it's amazing.by far,the nicest handgun i've ever had in my hand.makes me not want to shoot any of my own stuff..
my carry gun now is a Ruger P90.for the price,i'm very happy with it.
Chris
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by str8jakett
Some nice guns you have suggested. I think I've actually decided to go with something smaller than a 1911 full frame, probably Commander size. There is just something about the look of the classic 1911 that I like much better than the "busy" look of the recent models. I've also been looking into a decent used Sig 225. I have the bug right now and it doesn't fit well with the budget.

you do know that a 1911 is single action right? for a target gun, they are excellent. i know several people that carry a 1911, and personally, i don't like carrying one locked and cocked. with only the rear grip safety keeping you from getting shot in the ass.

Originally Posted by TNGChris
my carry gun now is a Ruger P90.for the price,i'm very happy with it.
Chris

i quit carrying mine, it would stab me in the ass or side all the time. they are just too big as a carry gun (unless you are wearing overalls, which i do often since i am a backwoods redneck and all.... )

my newest carry:

got some nice laser grips on order for it, fits in any pocket without issues, and when loaded with some BT's, it will FUCK someone up at close range.

of course, for a good carry, nothing beats the old standby:

only pussies carry the 9" barrel, real men carry the 11". with the nice magnum personal protection loads. one shot will blast a 3" oak sapling in half.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
str8jakett
Nada

Originally Posted by fc735
you do know that a 1911 is single action right? for a target gun, they are excellent. i know several people that carry a 1911, and personally, i don't like carrying one locked and cocked. with only the rear grip safety keeping you from getting shot in the ass.
My carry gun is a colt Defender:

So I am familiar with the 1911 operation. I also don't like carrying cocked and locked, but I do sometimes to try and make myself feel more comfortable. The slide lock safety is very trustworthy is what I'm told. I still don't want to find out what .45 does to ass cheeks though. This is what I have been looking at, and it is way over my budget:

That is the Kimber Custom Shop Pro, currently at Roanoke Firearms. It would already be on layaway if it wasn't for the 60 payoff deadline.

I also recently traded my Ruger P94 for this:

This is my first experience with a revolver and I love it! It became my wifes carry gun and fits perfect in a zipper pocket in her purse. She was hitting 8" targets at 25 yards with it last weekend, surprising the both of us since it was the first time she had shot it. My Ruger P94 was the first handgun I ever bought, and I had grown to hate it. It's sloppy feel and inaccuracy put it on the trading block after I had gained some experience with other guns. In trading it, I inherited her previous carry gun, a Glock 27. Then I week later I traded that Glock to a friend for his 1967 Walther PP .32:

It was a tough decision because I loved the Glock, but I just couldn't hit anything with it! The PP was impressive and very accurate, and it has a history. I will get another Glock sometime, because I feel like I need to conquer it. Anyway, here is a picture from last weekend:

Colt Defender .45
Glock 27 .40
Taurus .38 special 2"
Sig 225 9mm
Sig 229 .40
Sig 239 9mm (not pictured)
S&W .357 4"
Colt Commander Series 70 Satin Nickle
Walther PP .32
Browning .22

TNGChris: How do you carry the P90, on the hip, small of back? Seems like a large gun to conceal. I haven't tried to carry anything large, but if I got the Kimber, I'd probably try to see how it did.

Sorry for the long post, but when it comes to guns, I get a little off the nut.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

if you want a 1911, a springfield is one of the best money ways to get one. my brother has had two, and they are a very nice piece that is at a decent price. i think you can find them used in the 300-450 range, all dependent.

carrying a P90 is different on different people. i have a buddy of mine that carries a 1911 on his hip, inside the pants, and you cant tell it (he is a skinny fucker too) whereas my fat ass cant tuck anything in my waist, no matter where (can tuck down the asscrack though, but i really dont feel comfortable with it cause i have one asshole now, and dont want another)

hence the reason i got that airweight, it fits in my pocket nicely (perfect fit for the top pocket in a pair of overalls too )
Old 07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
rotorsownyou7
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Best handgun I've ever owned, and best quality I've ever seen. Very expensvie, but I carry (in my car, never on me) a Kimber Ultra Carry II (.45 ACP, weighs only 25 ounces) with night sights and lasergrips...

Illegally.

Shhh.... Don't tell... I'll be 21 in a few months.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
str8jakett
Nada

Originally Posted by fc735
if you want a 1911, a springfield is one of the best money ways to get one. my brother has had two, and they are a very nice piece that is at a decent price. i think you can find them used in the 300-450 range, all dependent.

carrying a P90 is different on different people. i have a buddy of mine that carries a 1911 on his hip, inside the pants, and you cant tell it (he is a skinny fucker too) whereas my fat ass cant tuck anything in my waist, no matter where (can tuck down the asscrack though, but i really dont feel comfortable with it cause i have one asshole now, and dont want another)

hence the reason i got that airweight, it fits in my pocket nicely (perfect fit for the top pocket in a pair of overalls too )
I've looked at the Springfields too, but I haven't seen a Commander size yet. I carry my Defender inside the pant, small of back. It fits nicely, but that is about the only place I can carry it. My holster converts to an inside front as well, but I can't do it comfortably. I never tried carrying the P94 when I had it.

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
Best handgun I've ever owned, and best quality I've ever seen. Very expensvie, but I carry (in my car, never on me) a Kimber Ultra Carry II (.45 ACP, weighs only 25 ounces) with night sights and lasergrips...

Illegally.

Shhh.... Don't tell... I'll be 21 in a few months.
I love the Kimber, probably more than the colt, but I couldn't find one when I ran across the colt and I bought it instead. That Kimber Custom Shop at RF made me nut my pants. They also had this which was a beauty:

Does anybody know anything about this Wilson Combat?

Not a bad looking little gun, but I didn't even pick one up.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Priestiality
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

cool thread. I've been interested in picking up another.
I carry a Glock 27 and the girl has a kel-tec P3AT.. now that's a cool little gun.

You always hear about the 1911 action but I have never gotten a chance to try one out... good luck on your decision