Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Vtec not engaging on ls vtec. Help please

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Sgodoy05
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sgodoy05 has disabled reputation
Default Vtec not engaging on ls vtec. Help please

PLEASE HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

info
97 ls integra
b16 head
chipped ecu

my setup is lsvtec, had it done by a mechanic. vtec will not engage. i have tried two different ecu (my chipped p28 and a hondata ecu) still no vtec. i have swapped out soleniod, tested each one making sure they click when powered. still no vtec. oh yea no check engine lights are on. made sure oil was getting to the head by removing oil line and starting the car, oil got everywhere.. vtec is wired to the jumper harness so i know the pins are making contact, had the wiring checked my to different mechanics . i ran 12v straight to the solenoid connected to a switch, made sure the solenoid clicked when i flipped the switch. drove the car to about 4800 rpm and hit the switch still no crossover.. I also checked the screen on the solenoid.

i guess my question is does anyone have any ideas what i can try next. also i spoke to another mechanic who works at a local performance shop. he was saying that the issue could be in the actual head. something about some pins missing on each side. (not sure what he was talking about) is there anything in the head that could be missing causing vtec not to engage but still let the car run fine with no cel?

please anyone help..
thank you sergio
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM
99crx2004
Registered Member

99crx2004 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vtec not engaging on ls vtec. Help please

i had the same problem with mine and the problem was that i had a oil pressure gauge and that was causin the issue but also u might wanna check the way the oil line is in the right spot and that u r gettin good oil pressure. let me know if that helps
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Removing the oil line and squirting oil everywhere just means that you have oil flow, not oil pressure.

If the head hasn't been rebuilt, there shouldn't be much concern about something missing in the head.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 99crx2004
i had the same problem with mine and the problem was that i had a oil pressure gauge and that was causin the issue but also u might wanna check the way the oil line is in the right spot and that u r gettin good oil pressure. let me know if that helps
I really hope there is more to the story than that. If a pressure gauge is causing oil pressure problems then you really need to learn how to install a gauge properly, or learn some common sense that would tell you why something won't work.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Sgodoy05
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to check the oil pressure today, I know there s a 10mm bolt on the left side of the head. Whats the right way of testing the oil pressure? Thanx again
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Put a gauge on the oil line, you'll probably need to use an adapter fitting to add a port for the pressure gauge or gauge sensor/sendor. You can remove the adapter fitting once you verify the pressure and the problem is solved, so don't worry if the adapter is ugly or whatever.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Karma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these partsKarma is infamous around these parts

Dowel pins is what your guy was talking about. They slide down over your two front head studs on each side. You would have to remove head to check for them.

Last edited by Karma; 03-08-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
eXploited
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

WTF
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
sohc_mshue
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

What size is your vtec line?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Sgodoy05
Registered Member

im not sure but its the line that comes with the golden eagle kit. i was reading somewhere that underneath cam cap #3 theres an oil passage with a dowel pin and an o ring.. i looked up a pic of the o ring and dowel and took my cam cap # 3 off and it doesn't look like it takes an o ring?? i believe my head is older so could that mean my head doesn't take one?

yesterday i dropped my oil pan and cleaned it out as well as the oil pick up, changed the oil and was hoping for vtec but still the same...
i plan on buying a oil pressure gauge over the weekend. I'm gonna test the line coming from the sandwich plate and on the head.. what psi should i be looking for? last question should i change out my oil pump?
thanx guys!!

Quick Reply: Vtec not engaging on ls vtec. Help please