Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

question for you DSM guys

Old 03-14-2004, 06:56 PM
axis45
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axis45 has disabled reputation
Default question for you DSM guys

Im about to start my 4g64/4g63 hybrid project and was thinking I should go ahead and remove the balance shafts while I have the covers off, I noticed the front one driven by the "little" belt was seeping a little oil last time I put a belt on it anyway. so what all does removing them involve? I know you have to get or make a stub shaft for the rear and i guess you plug the front one with a freeze plug or something. I was thinking of just removing the front to make it easier on myself. I will also be replacing the turbo at the same time and wanted to get my new turbo and manifold ported. any reputable place to get this done? I still need a 2g turbo ecu and a few plugs from a 1g harness so if you know where i can get these from let me know. thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 08:09 PM
g S x
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x
Default Re: question for you DSM guys

definately remove the balance shafts, its not that hard and it shouldnt cost a whole lot either. I did mine the almost free way. pull the oil pump out with the shafts attached to it, remove the front shaft by unbolting it, get a freeze plug to plug the hole up and JB weld around it so it doesnt leak or come out. take an angle grinder and hack off the rear shaft but leave about an inch sticking out of the oil pump. there will be a hole in the center of the rear shaft so you must tap it out and put a bolt in it. or you could just not cut it off and go out and buy the stub shaft. take the balance shaft that you took out of the front one and use it to knock out the balance shaft bearings that are in the block, flip them 180 degrees so they block off the oil galleys (raises oil pressure- good thing), then use it to put them back in. the front doesnt have an oil galley hole so you can leave that bearing in. when you put the oil pump cover back on make sure you plug the holes where the old pulleys and gears went with bolts and use RTV on the bolts because it will leak if you dont.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:15 PM
g S x
RIP Chris Schader

oh and you can not just remove the front balance shaft, you have to get rid of the back one as well. if you leave the back one in its just going to cause crazy vibrations. however, you may remove the rear balance shaft and leave the front one in the block as dead weight so you dont have to use a freeze plug to plug the hole but why would you do that? i say remove them both and be done with it.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:00 PM
midnightgst
Boost makes me happy

midnightgst midnightgst midnightgst

I have a 2g turbo ecu for a front drive and you can get the harness plugs from u wrench it
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM
axis45
Registered Member

thanks eclipz, that was very informative, this site needs more people like you. i was expecting a response from one of the naysayers. i dont quit understand what you said about when you put the oil pump cover back on make sure you plug the holes where the old pulleys and gears went. i thought all you pluged was the front hole where the balance shaft was. midnightgst you have been pmed
Old 03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Ninety7GSX
No Name Who?

Ninety7GSX has disabled reputation

There is a pulley below the front balance shaft, its actually the tensioner pulley for the balancer belt that should be removed. I think the bolt that holds the front balance shaft gear on is perfect to plug that hole.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:52 PM
g S x
RIP Chris Schader

Old 03-16-2004, 02:14 PM
axis45
Registered Member

lol its been awhile since ive put a belt on mine, only done it 2 times to a dsm the 2nd time only becuase i didnt know you could get the rear one 180-out. shit was vibratin it ass off when i started it up
Old 03-16-2004, 02:23 PM
g S x
RIP Chris Schader

yeah, youre supposed to stick a screwdriver in the hole after you take the bolt out of the back of the block.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:27 PM
axis45
Registered Member

yeah i read that in the service manual i bought right after that happened