Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Buying A Used Bike

Old 07-11-2006 | 11:57 AM
djgrom
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom
Default Buying A Used Bike

Alright, I got the bike picked, talked to the man, ridden the bike, like the bike and now I am going to buy it. My question is what does it take to get the bike put in my name once I go to the DMV what exactly is everything that I need. Unfortuently I found the DMV site a little vague for the purpose so I am asking you, my fellow forum goers. What do I need to make sure the title is transfered to my name, and the bike is registered to my name. What do I have to do to renew the plates on the car since he let them expire during the winter? Thanks alot!
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:41 PM
_____
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Default Re: Buying A Used Bike

Its just as easy as getting a car bro. Just take a bill of sale the title and head on down there.
Old 07-11-2006 | 03:54 PM
mischiefse7en
B18C1

mischiefse7en has disabled reputation

What he said, BOS and Title. And you cant transfer plates from someone to yourself, have to get new ones.
Old 07-12-2006 | 07:18 AM
djgrom
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Actually you can transfer plates if you have the proper paper work filled out.
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:49 AM
mischiefse7en
B18C1

mischiefse7en has disabled reputation

Really? DMV must be retards around here, last time I asked they told me you could only transfer your own plates from one of your cars to another, you couldnt transfer someone elses plates to you.
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:52 AM
BentValve
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

How necessary is a bill of sale and what if you don't have one?
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:13 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i've registeded probably a hundred bikes/cars, and i never once had a bill of sale. just had the signed/dated title. never needed anything else to register.

you do have to have proof of insurance to get plates though.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:23 PM
BentValve
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
you do have to have proof of insurance to get plates though.
Really? Is that a new law or something? The reason I ask is because I know a few uninsured riders who have registered bikes. By "proof" of insurance, do you mean they checked the box that says they have insurance?
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:26 PM
WutupYo
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

bill of sale is what you pay taxes on. take my truck for example. i paid 4500 for it. the NADA is 7500. since i didn't have a signed bill of sale from the previous owner, i had to pay taxes on 7500 instead of 4500 (90 dollar difference)

i didn't need proof of insurance either. they asked if i had it, and i said yes, which was a lie, but it got registered, tags, and i got insurance the next day. do not drive with no insurance though, unless you like playing with fire, live grenades, whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:44 PM
_____
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Originally Posted by WutupYo
bill of sale is what you pay taxes on. take my truck for example. i paid 4500 for it. the NADA is 7500. since i didn't have a signed bill of sale from the previous owner, i had to pay taxes on 7500 instead of 4500 (90 dollar difference)

i didn't need proof of insurance either. they asked if i had it, and i said yes, which was a lie, but it got registered, tags, and i got insurance the next day. do not drive with no insurance though, unless you like playing with fire, live grenades, whatever floats your boat.
100% correct

Quick Reply: Buying A Used Bike